Homebrew [Release] JFBlood for 3DS

RoosterMange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've played every episode on this port except Cryptic Passage. I was playing through Cryptic Passage and made it to the steam boat level, but it crashes every time I try to load it. The textures load, the sounds load, then it says "loading music" and crashes every time. I have a save right before the exit of the previous level, and I've tried proceeding to Steam Boat multiple times with the same result. This is strange considering Cryptic Passage uses the vanilla Blood music, which works fine in every other episode. I've even been able to load the custom Deathwish music on this port. Is there a fix for this currently?

Edit: I've replaced all files related to Cryptic Passage with ones I've tested myself on PC which work as intended and can properly load Steam Boat. However, it still crashes every time I try to load this level using this port. This leads me to believe my configurations aren't set up properly for this port and thus prevents the level from loading, or it's a bug in the port itself that prevents this specific level from being playable. I'm really not sure what could be causing the issue.

Last edited by RoosterMange,
Reactions: CrashMidnick

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's definitely an issue with this port. It's not related to music or any file you've provided.
It seems to be an out of bounds issue when calculating the floor position for very large slopes.

I encountered the same issue on a different map, French Blood E02M01, which has a large beach.
I have a test build which does not segfault and is able to load the level. In the case of CP01M05, the right riverbed gets drawn as a vertical wall instead of a long slope.

It's good to know where it crashes, but i'll have to backtrack from there to find the actual issue. It may take a while, but i'm looking into it.

Thanks for letting me know this also happens in Cryptic Passage as i was unaware of this. Slightly concerning though, i was under the impression it only happened with unofficial mods.

On a side note, i did make some progress polishing things up.

RoosterMange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's definitely an issue with this port. It's not related to music or any file you've provided.
It seems to be an out of bounds issue when calculating the floor position for very large slopes.

I encountered the same issue on a different map, French Blood E02M01, which has a large beach.
I have a test build which does not segfault and is able to load the level. In the case of CP01M05, the right riverbed gets drawn as a vertical wall instead of a long slope.

It's good to know where it crashes, but i'll have to backtrack from there to find the actual issue. It may take a while, but i'm looking into it.

Thanks for letting me know this also happens in Cryptic Passage as i was unaware of this. Slightly concerning though, i was under the impression it only happened with unofficial mods.

On a side note, i did make some progress polishing things up.
That's good to know, I was worried one of my files may of been corrupted or something. I was replacing them and looking online to see if anyone else had this issue to no avail.

I'll check back every now and then for a new release. Until then, I'll be playing through Deathwish to see if it all goes smoothly. All 4 vanilla Blood episodes and Post Mortem work perfectly, Cryptic Passage's Steamboat map is the only one I've encountered that presents this issue so far. I'll update you if I notice any issues in Deathwish. Thank you for shedding some light on the situation, I look forward to the next release.

RoosterMange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I set up cutscenes and load cryptic passage and death wish expansions?
I gotchu. For cutscenes you're gonna wanna dump all the cutscene files in NBlood/movie and they should play at the appropriate times in game.

For Cryptic Passage and Deathwish, see the earlier post with the latest release of JFBlood for 3DS, it already has configurations for those expansions. Keep in mind that Cryptic Passage's Steamboat level is not currently playable as discussed above. So far in my experience, Deathwish works great.
Put all the files for Cryptic Passage in the NBlood folder with the modlaunch config from the latest release, same with Deathwish. You should be able to choose the .ini file (Blood, Cryptic Passage, or Deathwish) when you launch the game. Have fun and let me know if you need any help.

Elitemaster215

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I gotchu. For cutscenes you're gonna wanna dump all the cutscene files in NBlood/movie and they should play at the appropriate times in game.

For Cryptic Passage and Deathwish, see the earlier post with the latest release of JFBlood for 3DS, it already has configurations for those expansions. Keep in mind that Cryptic Passage's Steamboat level is not currently playable as discussed above. So far in my experience, Deathwish works great.
Put all the files for Cryptic Passage in the NBlood folder with the modlaunch config from the latest release, same with Deathwish. You should be able to choose the .ini file (Blood, Cryptic Passage, or Deathwish) when you launch the game. Have fun and let me know if you need any help.
The cutscenes worked and I was able to get Cryptic Passage and Death Wish to load properly. Thank You.

Reactions: RoosterMange

RoosterMange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty small and didn't affect gameplay, but I think it's still worth mentioning either way. In Deathwish's Spooky World level, the train has a lot of visual errors that make it look distorted as it passes by. Maybe it's even related to the issue with rendering certain slopes. Like I said, it didn't affect gameplay so I was able to move past it and complete the level just fine. I just thought it'd be something you might wanna know about.

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here's another build. It allows playing the previously crashing maps. It does not fix the actual issue causing this, so the affected maps will have some glitched out geometry.

In case of CPE01M05 (Steamboat) it does not affect gameplay, but with French Blood E02M01 it does (it's a bit more difficult to get out of the water on the beach).

I noticed the backporting from nblood to the amiga introduced some limits to map sizes and maximum tiles loaded. This may very well be the cause of some glitches with mods. I'll have to take a better look at this before changing, since it does break savegame compatibility.

Some changes have been made in the way mods are loaded and how they should be setup. I've uploaded a modpack i've been playing around with, which i recommend using as a base to setup jfblood-3ds (if you wish to use mods).

See the included 'README.txt' for instructions.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/m0pwy0kuxb1beww/jfblood-3ds_modpack.7z/file

If you wish to run blood without mods, use the attached builds as usual.

A small changelog:
- mod launcher utilizes bottom screen
- control menu reworked for 3ds
- sane default controls

Attachments

• jfblood-3ds.7z
    618.1 KB · Views: 17

RoosterMange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got done testing this release and it works wonderfully. I was able to complete the steamboat level without issue, and I did notice the visual error on the riverbank but it didn't affect gameplay.

Some things to note
In the first level of Fate Of The Damned, there was a pool of green water on the upper floor of the temple which crashed the game when I attempted to swim in it.
There is also a bit of visual error in the terrain at the start of the level, but it didn't impact gameplay.

Excellent work on this release, I was very happy to finally get past Steamboat.
Looking forward to the next release, thank you!

Side note: What file contains the control configurations? I wanted to upload my controls here in case anyone found them useful.

Elitemaster215

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Here's another build. It allows playing the previously crashing maps. It does not fix the actual issue causing this, so the affected maps will have some glitched out geometry.

In case of CPE01M05 (Steamboat) it does not affect gameplay, but with French Blood E02M01 it does (it's a bit more difficult to get out of the water on the beach).

I noticed the backporting from nblood to the amiga introduced some limits to map sizes and maximum tiles loaded. This may very well be the cause of some glitches with mods. I'll have to take a better look at this before changing, since it does break savegame compatibility.

Some changes have been made in the way mods are loaded and how they should be setup. I've uploaded a modpack i've been playing around with, which i recommend using as a base to setup jfblood-3ds (if you wish to use mods).

See the included 'README.txt' for instructions.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/m0pwy0kuxb1beww/jfblood-3ds_modpack.7z/file

If you wish to run blood without mods, use the attached builds as usual.

A small changelog:
- mod launcher utilizes bottom screen
- control menu reworked for 3ds
- sane default controls
When I try to exit game in the newest update it crashes.

RoosterMange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to set a file path for standalone usermaps? I go into the "usermaps" option on the New Game screen and it doesn't detect the "MAPS" folder in there. There's not a way to select the file path either so I'm wondering if it's something I need to configure in the files.
Post automatically merged:

For now, I've put my map into the main NBlood folder to be able to play it. While playing, I'm noticing a game-breaking bug.
Instead of simply having frame rates drop in certain areas as expected, the player movement speed drops while everything else in the game remains the same speed. I've noticed this before, but it hasn't been very often or for very long, so I paid it no mind. In this particular map, the slowdowns happen almost throughout the map which is detrimental when trying to jump a gap or fight fast moving enemies. I haven't had this issue with the map on other ports, so I believe it's specific to this one.

Last edited by RoosterMange,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.