Tutorial  Updated

Merging badge data!

Hi GBAtemp. User @shutterbug2000 has found a way to merge two badge datas to essentially give yourself the badges of another player that has made their files publicly available. In this tutorial, we'll be using @Februarysn0w's badges (he/she has collected over 900 badges).

Februarysn0w's badge data: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=b6305612e3c95fbd&id=B6305612E3C95FBD!694&authkey=!ANwz34EVEYjGARc

1. Open the target's BadgeMngFile.dat and yours in a hex editor of your choice. (HxD is preferred)
5239b2ce86.png

2. Copy from 0x0 to 0xc (ctrl+g "C"; hex checked) from the target and then pastewrite the strings onto your file.
aca6040825.png

c548712ff2.png

3. CTRL+G to "3E8" and select everything starting from there to the end of the file and pastewrite it to yours once again. (Alternatively, you can copy from 0x1C to 0x20 from your file and then pastewrite the strings onto the target. Using this method, you can skip step 2 and 3. Then simply copy the target file to your 3DS)
38f9bac7e1.png

4. Save the edited BadgeMngFile.dat.

5. Copy the modified BadgeMngFile.dat and the target's BadgeData.dat onto your SD card and import them.

Please reply to this thread if this worked for you!

Great videos by @Ericzander:
CFW users:
Homebrew users:

EDIT: A lot of people don't know what to use. If you're a CFW user, use SaveDataFiler. If you're a *hax user, use ext_data dump tool or Sunshell by Rinnegatamante.

Last edited by froggestspirit,

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
then why isn't it working? i've imported the edited file a dozen times now and absolutely nothing changes. guess i'l try it from scratch once more.
Clearly you've done something wrong or something went wrong somewhere in the process.
I can't see what you've done or are doing so i have no idea why it isn't working....

Reactions: dimmidice
S

swaggon

How can I create a BadgeMngFile.dat if I can't get the Badge Arcade?

Attempting to extract it using extdata_dump gives me the error "can't open archive".

What steps do I have to take to create my own BadgeMngFile.dat and then import it into my 3DS's extdata?

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
then i really don't get what i'm doing wrong. i extract it using savedatfiler, i edit the lines OP mentioned using HxD, i place the edited files to my SD card, and import using savedatfiler. does anyone see anything wrong with that?

edit: i did just see that i have 3 folders with the badge files in them. 14d1, cc7993d9, and 000038e79. is that normal?

Last edited by dimmidice,

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
How can I create a BadgeMngFile.dat if I can't get the Badge Arcade?
Attempting to extract it using extdata_dump gives me the error "can't open archive".
What steps do I have to take to create my own BadgeMngFile.dat and then import it into my 3DS's extdata?
There's no reason you can't get it and as far as i know that's the only way to create the dat file.

then i really don't get what i'm doing wrong. i extract it using savedatfiler, i edit the lines OP mentioned in HxD, i place the edited files to my SD card, and import using savedatfiler. does anyone see anything wrong with that?
If you're editing YOUR file correctly it should work. So copy from the downloaded one, paste into yours, restore your modified one.
You also need the badgedata.dat that was linked earlier too, that's how i got it to work properly.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by Shadowtrance,

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
What the hell does CFW have to do with it?

Anyway... @dimmidice here's the badgedata i was talking about... https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-release-merging-badge-data.403767/page-2#post-5820913
cfw means no eshop, no eshop means no badge arcade, no badge arcade mean no badgedata.dat since is badge arcade that create the badgedata.dat the first time, if you buy a 3ds now, it won't have badges because they are created by badge arcade and badge arcade is not a system app.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
cfw means no eshop, no eshop means no badge arcade, no badge arcade mean no badgedata.dat since is badge arcade that create the badgedata.dat the first time, if you buy a 3ds now, it won't have badges because they are created by badge arcade and badge arcade is not a system app.
Bullshit... anyone with half a brain and cfw can still get on the eshop...
So you can't play the "cfw can't get on eshop card atm. :P "

Reactions: TerryG

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Is that because something outside of the extdata is affected?
It's because the app...err game, actually creates the exdata needed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The reason I can't get it is because the Badge Arcade requires eShop access. I can't access the eShop because I'm not on the latest firmware, I'm on 9.9.
hmm you're in a unique situation i guess. I'm guessing HANS won't let you on eshop on 9.9 anymore? I don't have a 9.9 3ds to test :( Only 9.0 and 10.3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi Somebody's asking for tips.