Tutorial  Updated

Trinket Internal Install.

Here's A Guide To Installing The Trinket M0 Into The Switch.

Program The Trinket Before You Remove The Usb Port, Saves You Doing It After You Complete The Install.

First Thing To Do Is Remove The Usb Port From The Trinket, If You Have A Hot Air Wand Then Use That To Remove The Port It Will Reduce The Risk Of Damage To The Pads.

usb intact.jpg

Now That The Usb Port Has Been Removed You Want To Solder Wire To The Data Pads, White = Data- And Green Data+ In This Guide.

Now Solder Wire To The Bat Pad = Red, Gnd Pad = Black, Pad 4 = Orange & Pad 3 = Brown In This Guide.

Also Remove The Resistor Next To The Ppower Led Mark Out In Purple In This Guide.
Trinket Points.jpg

When You Have The Trinket All Prepared, You Can Now Proceed To The Install To The Switch.
trinket install points.jpg

Once The Install Is Completely Done Then Clean Up The Points You Have Soldered To Using Isopropyl And Cotton Buds/Q-Tips.
Finished.jpg

Alternative Point For Pad 4.

Altternative Pad 4 Point.jpg

Alternative Points For Joycon Rail Pin 10.

If You Decide On Using This Alternative Point Then Use Enamel Coated Jumper Wire 0.10mm.

Alt Joycon Rail Pin 10 Point.jpg

Remember Take Your Time It's Not A Race lol. Rushing Can Lead To Mistakes.

Tools Required.

Kynar Wire 30 AWG.
Soldering Iron.
Hot Air Wand For Usb Port Removal(Optional)
Isopropyl.
Cotton Bud/Q-Tips.
Flux.
Solder.
Enamel Jumper Wire (Optional)

Thanks And Credit Goes To Xboxexpert For This Solution.

I Think That Covers Everything.

EDIT..

here's another method for the install of the trinket, this method does away with the pad 4, as some may find it tricky to solder to the cap used on the mobo.

the rst pad is used instead and the wire is linked to the power button, Also this has a bonus that you can double press the power button to put the trinket into boot loader mode for uploading a new payload.

of course you don't have to use the rst pad at all, you can't just press power button and volume up button, then press reset button for rcm mode.

this method should be ok for the novices.

install at your own risk.

another install.jpg

the pad on the power button to use.

power button point.jpg

i have one more method to try but I really think this one is not to bad method.

the more methods the better I say, of course to try and make it as easy as possible for pros and novices.

EDIT...
another method for the install of the trinket.

this method is basically same as all other methods, just a different points uses for the bat pad and rst pad.

this install will allow you to have the trinket power off when you fully power off the switch.

double press the reset button on the trinket to get into boot loader mode, this may take a couple of attempts to do.

the payload that you use already will work with this method no need for new ones.

here's the diagram for method 3, you could possibly have this as a 4 wire install, if you install auto rcm mode, but as my sd card module port is buggerd I couldn't test that out.

twinket power off.jpg

ok it seems method 3 needs auto rcm installed for it to work without the need to use the rst pad

so for them that don't want to use auto rcm mode then solder a wire from rst pad to the point on the power button, and use pad 3 to the pin 10 on the joycon rail or one of the alt points on mobo.

beware the alt points are small so use at your own risk.

ok anyone with changing issues test these 2 points, you should get 5v on the usb port side, and around 3.2v on the switch side.

if your getting the volts on the switch side that are fluctuating up & down then replace the part with the v on top it's a diode, you want one that fits so the actual size is either 0402 or 0603 in dimension (i'm using 0402/0603 as an example for size purpose only)

around page 16 has more info about this component..

dont come moaning if you damage your console doing this install, i'm not responsible for you opening or taking a soldering iron to your console.
you do this at your own risk any damage is down to yourself.

charger_issue_volts.jpg

another thing if your trinket starts to get very hot to the point you can't touch it, then the atmel ATSAMD21E18A-U ic is on it's way out, so you will need to replace the ic or just replace your trinket.

at some point it wont power up after this has happened.
1 = gets very hot.
2 = reset starts to become tempermental .
3 = dead
4 = fix replace the atmel ATSAMD21E18A-U ic

edit

added uf2 drag and drop files for r4 trinket gemma dongles or for a 4 wire internal install.

atmosphere
hekate 4.2
Sxos
rajnx
reinx

Attachments

• Trinket All In One.jpg
    Trinket All In One.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 4,029
  • Trinket-R4-Gemma-D&D-Files.zip
    421.3 KB · Views: 578
Last edited by M-O-B, , Reason: added updated uf2 file.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did someone look for a way to power the internal trinket only when vol+ is pressed? I seem to remember someone mentioning the idea in another thread but don't know if it panned out.

M-O-B

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking in enter in mattytrogs world. In amazon.it i've found it at 15€, searching for coin cell battery holder on amazon.it

The process is the same for trinket m0 and Gemmas right?

something like this will be ideal 12mm or 20mm with on/off switch for dongles.
1867-03.jpg
1871-11.jpg

I'd also expect either tx or team matrix to bring some sort of install version for the switch at some point, seeing as it's tx speciality with install methods.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Did someone look for a way to power the internal trinket only when vol+ is pressed? I seem to remember someone mentioning the idea in another thread but don't know if it panned out.

if the volume works via gnd and is active when pressed, then you could wire the gnd wire from the trinket to the volume + button so it activates the trinket, similar to how my dongle works only active when button pressed.

but I'm just speculating on how it could be done.

bobinator

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i got an old Infectus modchip laying around , would it be compatible with this mod ? sorry if the question seem dumb i didn't follow the hack scheme for a while

Girulo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok.

• Unless you are using AutoRCM, you will need a jig every coldboot.
  • The trinket m0 can be programmed using ready-made UF2 files. Just draw and drop. See the SX loader thread for more info
  • Pins 3 and 4 are not necessary if using externally. Just a micro-usb to usb-c adapter and a power source.
Good luck.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
I don't mind to use internally and don't have to use the jig. So for that i have to program the trinket with UF2 files, i will take a look into that thread you mentioned. In such a case i will have to solder wires 3 and 4 correct? And then the trinket will check is boot normally or boot in RCM, am i correct?

M-O-B

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mind to use internally and don't have to use the jig. So for that i have to program the trinket with UF2 files, i will take a look into that thread you mentioned. In such a case i will have to solder wires 3 and 4 correct? And then the trinket will check is boot normally or boot in RCM, am i correct?

installing this method you press power for ofw and volume up button + power for rcm mode

Reactions: Girulo

_gianno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
something like this will be ideal 12mm or 20mm with on/off switch for dongles.View attachment 134321 View attachment 134322

I'd also expect either tx or team matrix to bring some sort of install version for the switch at some point, seeing as it's tx speciality with install methods.

Yep that's what i've bought! I'll stay with trinket m0 and this coin cell.

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Here's A Guide To Installing The Trinket M0 Into The Switch.

Program The Trinket Before You Remove The Usb Port, Saves You Doing It After You Complete The Install.

First Thing To Do Is Remove The Usb Port From The Trinket, If You Have A Hot Air Wand Then Use That To Remove The Port It Will Reduce The Risk Of Damage To The Pads.

View attachment 133958

Now That The Usb Port Has Been Removed You Want To Solder Wire To The Data Pads, White = Data- And Green Data+ In This Guide.

Now Solder Wire To The Bat Pad = Red, Gnd Pad = Black, Pad 4 = Orange & Pad 3 = Brown In This Guide.

Also Remove The Resistor Next To The Ppower Led Mark Out In Purple In This Guide.
View attachment 133961

When You Have The Trinket All Prepared, You Can Now Proceed To The Install To The Switch.
View attachment 133962

Once The Install Is Completely Done Then Clean Up The Points You Have Soldered To Using Isopropyl And Cotton Buds/Q-Tips.
View attachment 133963

Alternative Point For Pad 4.

View attachment 133965

Alternative Points For Joycon Rail Pin 10.

If You Decide On Using This Alternative Point Then Use Enamel Coated Jumper Wire 0.10mm.

View attachment 133966

Remember Take Your Time It's Not A Race lol. Rushing Can Lead To Mistakes.

Tools Required.

Kynar Wire 30 AWG.
Soldering Iron.
Hot Air Wand For Usb Port Removal(Optional)
Isopropyl.
Cotton Bud/Q-Tips.
Flux.
Solder.
Enamel Jumper Wire (Optional)

I Have Posted The Payload Sketches I've Used Or Rather Tested.

One Set Is For Use With The Arduino Software, And The CURRENT UF2 Set Is For Drag & Drop Onto The Trinket Once You Have It In Boot Loader Mode.

Thanks And Credit Goes To Xboxexpert For This Solution.

I Think That Covers Everything.

added hekate ctcaer 3.0 for using with the arduino software or current uf2 files for drag and drop once trinket is in boot loader mode.

Thank you for sharing this I have now installed on his to both of my switches and I couldn't be happier.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
if I can source one then I'll give this one a try, only downside would be you'd need to add a reset switch, otherwise no reprogram of it and that's only if it works.

Should work just fine as it's the exact same processor so the instructions are the same, No need to even change the sketch (ino file), just use the same pinouts as well - there's a drawing shown what GPIO pins are connected to what numbers in the post I made. Yes of course you'll need to add a switch - but all the reset switch does is connects reset to ground - so you could probably use a switch on the NDS to do that - just wire it in, or add a little push button switch (lots of places that can be put), You could even mod the code so that if a GPIO pin gets a signal for x seconds it would start a timer - say 5 seconds or so, if the timer expires it could reset - also there probably won't be any need to cut the metal shielding as this board takes less space and is thinner.

I've just received my trinket m0 today - I might just keep that for another project, and get one of those boards I posted a link too - still need to buy a switch though, but a bit busy doing other stuff just now - so maybe at the end of summer I'll do that. Plus the scene will have advanced more by then so maybe no need for OSX for running the backups I've acquired.

Last edited by mrdude,

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Question regarding power/boot sequence.

If I was to fit the trinket, instead of the trinket being constantly powered by the battery - we could fit a smd transistor that supplies power from the battery to the bat pin on the trinket:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100Pcs-N...799090&hash=item1ee173c593:g:jmEAAOSwjXNbAxN~

The top (single leg) - should get some voltage when the switch is turned on and then the current can flow through the transistor to supply the trinket with power. Theoretically this should work fine, however does the boot sequence on the switch activate before the trinket can push the required files? That transistor could be glued on to the trinket where the usb port was removed.

Last edited by mrdude,

YigglyPoof

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys think I could do this if it was my first time soldering something? I mean, it doesn't look that difficult, and I could probably figure it out with enough patience, but I just don't want to break my switch.

(pls don't make fun of me :P)

D

Deleted User

The regulator is a 3.3v LDO regulator. Nice and simple... 5 pins... Looking at the regulator from the top, so you have the TWO legs on the top and the three on the bottom... Lift the top-left leg and strap it to a 1.8v point. Easy to find once the joycons are connected. The trinket will be completely isolated without that 1.8v. Look at the datasheet. The trinket will only power on when the switch is on or when the joycons are on Or find the 1.8v rail and strap it to that. The 1.8v is inpoerative unless the switch is on (or joycons are charging) if you are worried about your battery running down...
So I found a possible alternate power point that only puts out 1.7-1.8v, is definitely AFTER the voltage charge circuit and when the switch is OFF there is no power at this point (so no phantom draining the battery down to 0%). This would allow the LDO to isolate the trinket and only power up when the joy con rails energize. The original method is a constant voltage whether the switch is on OR completely powered off.

Here's an image I took showing the exact point:
pinout.jpg

I also want to find a better spot for wire #4, the points it hits are so small it's just asking for trouble from anyone attempting this themselves who isn't amazing with a soldering iron.

@YigglyPoof If we can find a better spot for wire #4 I'd say go for it but right now there's just too many tiny surface mount resistors/capacitors so close there. It looks big in the pictures but seeing it yourself you are just like GD that's a small spot to tag a wire to. I'm comfortable doing it and I don't even want to do it lol.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: YigglyPoof

M-O-B

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well them 20mm cell bat holders are twice the size of the trinket. maybe the 12mm version maybe more ideal to use for dongles.

20180704_121413.jpg

20180704_121350.jpg

Question regarding power/boot sequence.

If I was to fit the trinket, instead of the trinket being constantly powered by the battery - we could fit a smd transistor that supplies power from the battery to the bat pin on the trinket:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100Pcs-N...799090&hash=item1ee173c593:g:jmEAAOSwjXNbAxN~

The top (single leg) - should get some voltage when the switch is turned on and then the current can flow through the transistor to supply the trinket with power. Theoretically this should work fine, however does the boot sequence on the switch activate before the trinket can push the required files? That transistor could be glued on to the trinket where the usb port was removed.

i don't think you'd need to do something like that, you probably could add a line to the code to disable the trinket once it's done the job needed.

but if you really need to have or want the trinket off, then adding a switch to the gnd line is your best option.

Do you guys think I could do this if it was my first time soldering something? I mean, it doesn't look that difficult, and I could probably figure it out with enough patience, but I just don't want to break my switch.

(pls don't make fun of me :P)

if it's your first time soldering then I personally wouldn't recommend it, but if you really want this then get some old dead pcb boards with plenty on fine tiny points on and practice soldering, when you got to the stage of not lifting or damaging pads then try the install.

but I'd recommend you find someone near you who could do the install for you.

So I found a possible alternate power point that only puts out 1.7-1.8v, is definitely AFTER the voltage charge circuit and when the switch is OFF there is no power at this point (so no phantom draining the battery down to 0%). This would allow the LDO to isolate the trinket and only power up when the joy con rails energize. The original method is a constant voltage whether the switch is on OR completely powered off.

Here's an image I took showing the exact point:
View attachment 134439
I also want to find a better spot for wire #4, the points it hits are so small it's just asking for trouble from anyone attempting this themselves who isn't amazing with a soldering iron.

@YigglyPoof If we can find a better spot for wire #4 I'd say go for it but right now there's just too many tiny surface mount resistors/capacitors so close there. It looks big in the pictures but seeing it yourself you are just like GD that's a small spot to tag a wire to. I'm comfortable doing it and I don't even want to do it lol.

the switch has plenty of points like that, as for a pad 4 or point 4 it gets 3.2v once the switch has been power on. so I'd say a point on the mobo that can do that then should do the job.

the usb point on the mobo may do the job, but I think that kicks out 5v when I tested it.

in theory you could get a regulator to drop the volts to 3.2 volts, just like the Xbox 360 does.

D

Deleted User

the switch has plenty of points like that, as for a pad 4 or point 4 it gets 3.2v once the switch has been power on. so I'd say a point on the mobo that can do that then should do the job.

So point 4 is purely used for the 3.2v? If we lift and tag the CE arm of the regulator on the M0 to the 1.8v point I located above, could we not just put a wire from the Trinket 3v (3.3v) to point 4 on the trinket to achieve the same thing since it's just looking for the 3v? Or is pin 4 doing something else? (Haven't really looked into the code yet)

Last edited by ,

M-O-B

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So point 4 is purely used for the 3.2v? If we lift and tag the CE arm of the regulator on the M0 to the 1.8v point I located above, could we not just put a wire from the Trinket 3v (3.3v) to point 4 on the trinket to achieve the same thing since it's just looking for the 3v? Or is pin 4 doing something else? (Haven't really looked into the code yet)

no you can't jump a wire from trinket to pad 4 it won't work I tried that a few days ago.

I'm going to do a bit of experiment a bit later so be able to find out a bit more then.

need to check my shed see if I've any old Xbox mobos to take the reg from.

Last edited by M-O-B,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

no you can't jump a wire from trinket to pad 4 it won't work I tried that a few days ago.

I'm going to do a bit of experiment a bit later so be able to find out a bit more then.

need to check my shed see if I've any old Xbox mobos to take the reg from.

I'll be able to test things out tonight too my trinket is out for delivery, and the switch is already open for probing lol let me know if you figure anything out. I'll go through the code later too and see if I can find when that pin is referenced.

M-O-B

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be able to test things out tonight too my trinket is out for delivery, and the switch is already open for probing lol let me know if you figure anything out. I'll go through the code later too and see if I can find when that pin is referenced.

i just sorted trinket for testing, going to open up my other switch to use the points on for pad 4 only.

plus I need to read more as this switch I just got is on 3.0.2, so not sure if to update to latest or not. coz my last switch was on latest I never did any reading regarding lower firmware, lazy bugger I am.

20180704_160856.jpg

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton