Hardware [Question] V1 Type-C port installed with jump wires

ewabc886

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
This board came from someone tried but failed to swap the type C port. Instead, he ripped off some soldering pads on the board.

As seen in attached photo "TypeC_Trace", result of me trying to repair the broken trace by both jump wires(too thin?) and repairing pads(too thin in another way?).
Both methods failed.
Jump wire failed with good connection (tested with the pinout board in continuity test), but even RCM couldn't be detected by computer on the port.
Repairing pad failed with no connection of some pins from port to the board, meaning that some pins just not soldered.

Now I'm thinking about using the pinout board with thicker jump wires to solder the pins on the Switch board directly as shown in "TypeC_Pins". Then reassemble the console with the "TypeC_Propose" layout, which has the jump wires go through the top of RAM to connect the Switch board to the pinout board. The pinout board will be hanging outside as an extended port. But the bulky "port" for me is just fine because I expect to use this console for TV mode only with a customized container if the pinout board must exist.

PS. the pins were labeled by a good reference board with the same pinout board with same orientation. They're correct. double checked.

My questions are:
1: Is my proposal with long jump wires feasible? Will this affect the console's performance?
2: Should / Can the pinout board be replaced by something less bulky?
3: Or should I try to solder the port normally? I doubt this because the board had been tortured by the original owner(multiple broken components, which I fixed already) and me(reheating the port area multiple times for the port's soldering). Reheating again might cause issue in the PCB, I worry.

Attachments

• TypeC_Dongle.jpg
    TypeC_Dongle.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • TypeC_Pins.png
    TypeC_Pins.png
    514.8 KB · Views: 30
  • TypeC_Propose.jpg
    TypeC_Propose.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • TypeC_Trace1.png
    TypeC_Trace1.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 28
  • TypeC_Trace2.png
    TypeC_Trace2.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 34

ewabc886

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Thank you for the recommendation, but I found that it's not feasible in my case.
First is its price, second is that I don't really need a "normal" Nintendo Switch.

Anyways, I would like to know if the jump wires matter in the case.
I had all points' continuous tests passed but the type C port failed.
Then I came up with the idea of using the port extender to do an easy jump wire test. Still, the connection failed with all continuous tests passed.

The unit has never been recognized by the PC through USB connection.
Even if the unit is not a V1 version, it should have the RCM mode recognized by the TegraRCMGUI normally. And I can confirm that this board is a hackable unit by the serial number.

I'm quite confused by the situation of having no data connections while having points all connected.

Are there any possible chip on the board handle the communication that can cause my situation? As the unit had been worked on "repairing" before me. Any damages are possible. I had to fix HDMI connection, right joy con connector, microsd connector, M92T36 chip, fuse gauge to bring up this board. It's now working normally except tv mode and USB connection. Though charging is fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol