Total Nintendo Switch console sales reach 41 million, quarterly sales up by 50% compared to 2018

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 31, 2019.

Front-page
    bundle_color_portable (1).

Another fiscal quarter has come to a close, as gaming companies reveal their latest sales data to their eager investors. In the case of Nintendo, the past few months have treated the company well, with the Nintendo Switch having reached 41.67 million total units sold. During the second quarter, 4.98 million Nintendo Switch systems were sold, alongside 1.95 million Switch Lite consoles. Compared to this same time last year, Switch sales are up by a whopping 50%, over 2018's 3.19 million systems shifted. Previously, the Switch eclipsed the sales of the Nintendo 64, and now, if these sales keep up, there's a possible chance that by the end of the next fiscal quarter, the Nintendo Switch will surpass the 49.1 million lifetime sales of the Super Nintendo, especially with the launch of Pokemon Sword and Shield imminent. Total operating profits surpassed $615 million dollars, shooting past Nintendo's own expectations.

Nintendo has also updated its financial page, which shows the sales data for all of its consoles and software. Super Mario Maker 2, which launched in late June, has reached a total of 3.93 million copies, while the recent Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake has managed an impressive 3.13 million sales. As for the most recent entry in the Fire Emblem series, Three Houses, the game has achieved selling 2.28 million copies, and is on track to beat Fire Emblem Fate's franchise record-holding 2.94 million sales over three different versions.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (19 replies)
  1. SimisFul

SimisFul Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2015
    Canada
    Quebec, Quebec
    Good news!

2. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    VA-11 Hall-A
    Glad Fire Emblem is selling so well, this means even more FE in the future.

3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    For the most controversial game of the series, it sure is odd how it got the record holder. :blink:

But i doubt any game can beat Mario Kart in sales numbers. :ninja:

zoogie likes this.
  4. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    If they try to shoehorn in three "stories" in three different games, and the same amount of people who enjoyed awakening buy at least 2 copies of any of Birthright/Conquest/Revelations, it'd make sense. Smart choice on Nintendo's part honestly, I wonder how much lower sales would have been like if the game just sold as one title.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    With a game like Fire Emblem Three Houses. That's basically the same as Fire Emblem Fates, and you just showed us they didn't have problems selling that even if they could have sold each of THE HOUSES for seperate prices. :P

Just don't say that out loud, don't want them to get ideas like that with other games. Two animal crossing games, I think the internet will burn down over something like that. How would you feel if Sonic Heroes was split into four games based on each team? There's no way you buy all of them at full price. :creep:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Oct 31, 2019
    Silent_Gunner likes this.
  6. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    That number is about to leap when pokemon *twitch* SW/SH releases...

Last edited by Something whatever, Oct 31, 2019
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  7. supergamer368

supergamer368 this isn’t bookworm adventures deluxe

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Zanzibar Island, 5:00 PM
    dang after people found out they still drift they couldn’t even sell two of em

SimisFul, Zense, Xzi and 2 others like this.
  8. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    It's always the fiscal data threads. Always. Every time, I use million so many times, I miss one :angry:

Stwert, Zense, Xzi and 5 others like this.
  9. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    So wait has it surpassed the xbox one or is that hush-hush since ninti and micro are sorta teaming up now?

10. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's inching closer, latest numbers I can find for Xbox One say just under 43 million sold (42.99 to be exact). Really speaks to how large gaming has grown in general when a console with zero exclusives can still break 40 million sales.

Last edited by Xzi, Nov 1, 2019
    Zense likes this.
  11. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    it would be 60million if they didnt have massive shortages the first two years.

NoNAND likes this.
  12. NoNAND

NoNAND Spirit of the steppe

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    Scythia
    But even so, still not enough.

13. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    With all the money they're making, I hope they use some of it for the Online service.

14. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    A console doesn't need exclusives to sell as most gamers with an Xbox don't hav a gaming PC

15. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
  16. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    I think nintendo overestimated Wii U and underestimated Switch, and well, the latter is a good problem, obviously.

17. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    Blimey, they’ll be overtaking the Xbox One consoles very soon at this rate. Not bad going Ninty.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Meh, we knew what you meant.

18. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    To see how well its doing by comparison is not fair comparison to Super Nintendo or Nintendo 64 since more people exist on this planet now then they did in the 90's.
    There's 2 billion more people on this planet. Newer consoles will always have the unfair advantage of beating old consoles and breaking records in terms of numbers.

Last edited by SG854, Nov 4, 2019
    DANTENDO likes this.
  19. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I get what yr saying and things like this is basically just a bit of knowledge for us to see what was sold in the past