Total Nintendo Switch console sales reach 41 million, quarterly sales up by 50% compared to 2018

bundle_color_portable (1).jpg

Another fiscal quarter has come to a close, as gaming companies reveal their latest sales data to their eager investors. In the case of Nintendo, the past few months have treated the company well, with the Nintendo Switch having reached 41.67 million total units sold. During the second quarter, 4.98 million Nintendo Switch systems were sold, alongside 1.95 million Switch Lite consoles. Compared to this same time last year, Switch sales are up by a whopping 50%, over 2018's 3.19 million systems shifted. Previously, the Switch eclipsed the sales of the Nintendo 64, and now, if these sales keep up, there's a possible chance that by the end of the next fiscal quarter, the Nintendo Switch will surpass the 49.1 million lifetime sales of the Super Nintendo, especially with the launch of Pokemon Sword and Shield imminent. Total operating profits surpassed $615 million dollars, shooting past Nintendo's own expectations.

Nintendo has also updated its financial page, which shows the sales data for all of its consoles and software. Super Mario Maker 2, which launched in late June, has reached a total of 3.93 million copies, while the recent Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake has managed an impressive 3.13 million sales. As for the most recent entry in the Fire Emblem series, Three Houses, the game has achieved selling 2.28 million copies, and is on track to beat Fire Emblem Fate's franchise record-holding 2.94 million sales over three different versions.

:arrow: Source

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the most recent entry in the Fire Emblem series, Three Houses, the game has achieved selling 2.28 million copies, and is on track to beat Fire Emblem Fate's franchise record-holding 2.94 million sales over three different versions.
For the most controversial game of the series, it sure is odd how it got the record holder. :blink:

But i doubt any game can beat Mario Kart in sales numbers. :ninja:

Reactions: zoogie

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
it sure is odd how it got the record holder
If they try to shoehorn in three "stories" in three different games, and the same amount of people who enjoyed awakening buy at least 2 copies of any of Birthright/Conquest/Revelations, it'd make sense. Smart choice on Nintendo's part honestly, I wonder how much lower sales would have been like if the game just sold as one title.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they try to shoehorn in three "stories" in three different games, and the same amount of people who enjoyed awakening buy at least 2 copies of any of Birthright/Conquest/Revelations, it'd make sense. Smart choice on Nintendo's part honestly, I wonder how much lower sales would have been like if the game just sold as one title.
With a game like Fire Emblem Three Houses. That's basically the same as Fire Emblem Fates, and you just showed us they didn't have problems selling that even if they could have sold each of THE HOUSES for seperate prices. :P

Just don't say that out loud, don't want them to get ideas like that with other games. Two animal crossing games, I think the internet will burn down over something like that. How would you feel if Sonic Heroes was split into four games based on each team? There's no way you buy all of them at full price. :creep:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So wait has it surpassed the xbox one or is that hush-hush since ninti and micro are sorta teaming up now?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So wait has it surpassed the xbox one or is that hush-hush since ninti and micro are sorta teaming up now?
It's inching closer, latest numbers I can find for Xbox One say just under 43 million sold (42.99 to be exact). Really speaks to how large gaming has grown in general when a console with zero exclusives can still break 40 million sales.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Zense

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's inching closer, latest numbers I can find for Xbox One say just under 43 million sold (42.99 to be exact). Really speaks to how large gaming has grown in general when a console with zero exclusives can still break 40 million sales.
A console doesn't need exclusives to sell as most gamers with an Xbox don't hav a gaming PC

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey, they’ll be overtaking the Xbox One consoles very soon at this rate. Not bad going Ninty.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's always the fiscal data threads. Always. Every time, I use million so many times, I miss one :angry:

Meh, we knew what you meant.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
To see how well its doing by comparison is not fair comparison to Super Nintendo or Nintendo 64 since more people exist on this planet now then they did in the 90's.
There's 2 billion more people on this planet. Newer consoles will always have the unfair advantage of beating old consoles and breaking records in terms of numbers.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: DANTENDO

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To see how well its doing by comparison is not fair comparison to Super Nintendo or Nintendo 64 since more people exist on this planet now then they did in the 90's.
There's 2 billion more people on this planet. Newer consoles will always have the unfair advantage of beating old consoles and breaking records in terms of numbers.
I get what yr saying and things like this is basically just a bit of knowledge for us to see what was sold in the past

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hello