Nintendo Switch sales surpass 89 million, has outsold both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3

nintendoswitch-blogroll-1610734332405_160w.jpg

Nintendo continues to dominate in terms of sales, as the Nintendo Switch has hit yet another sales milestone. The latest financial report shows that the Switch family of systems has officially shifted 89.04 million units since the console's launch in March 2017. Last time we checked in on the Q4 2020 fiscal report, the Switch had sold 79.87 million units, which means in a matter of a few months, the Switch was able to surpass the sales figures for the PlayStation Portable, the Game Boy Advance, the Xbox 360, and the PlayStation 3. Despite such success, Switch hardware and software sales are noticeably down from 2020, with the former having decreased 21.7%, and the latter going down by 10.2%.

With the launch of the Nintendo Switch OLED on the horizon, as well as major first-party and exclusive releases set to arrive before the year, Nintendo is keeping its outlook positive. The next milestone for the Switch would be overtaking the Nintendo Wii, which sits at a respectable 101.63 million units sold.

:arrow: Source

Deleted member 445482

Antisocial behavior detected.
Trophies
XP
I like the fact Nintendo is still doing things old school. Huge console sales.. cartridge based games.. it's all very nostalgic compared to the progressive direction of Microsoft with gaming as a service.
Nothing as oldschool as refusing to address critical design flaws and continuing to release hardware affected by it.

Deserved, easily the best Nintendo console.
lmfao

Reactions: Bladexdsl

wiitendo84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didn't know that the xbox 360 sold that much
Well there were plenty of us guys in the Navy that had to buy a couple of 360's. Personal use and on the ship too. However, for me, I had bought a total of 3. My first one red ringed after a 6 month deployment, my second lasted about 2 years, and the third I got was a black edition after they fixed the red ring problems and I still have it. Now for the Xbox one, I still have my s edition with no problems.

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
This is going to be a weird console generation. With the PS5 and XSX being unavailable through at least 2022, the Switch is basically going to win by default. Folks here might complain about the underpowered 4 year old phone hardware, but the ability to actually get one makes a big difference, especially to the casual crowd. The decision to upgrade only the screen on the new Switch makes a lot of sense too since screens are basically the only piece of tech that hasn't doubled in price.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Must feel good when social media was sure it was going to fail.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nothing as oldschool as refusing to address critical design flaws and continuing to release hardware affected by it.

lmfao
If you mean analog stick drift, they all have that problem. Joycons might be a little more fragile because of their small size... but the analog sticks are all the same design on xbox, playstation and nintendo consoles.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
There is not much that is "of course" about this. 10 years ago the market and even the specialized press was convinced that smartphones would eat the mobile market entirely. A few years ago, there was genuine doubt as to whether the current generation of consoles would even be produced vis a vis the gaming PC boom.
I dunno, I owe my "of course" and wear it on my sleeve :D Maybe I just had a better foresight, but Switch's promise to put modern indies and actual console-quality games on a handheld felt pretty special and unprecedented at the time, and all the speculerinos about "It will fail just like WiiU" always came off as a clueless loony talk to me. There was initially some conviction that smartphones will make handhelds obsolete, but it died off around mid-2010s, when it became evident that both iOS and Android gadgets are too underprepared to compete with dedicated gaming machines.

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: MarkDarkness

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get it at all. Has not brought us to the land of milk and honey, games are generally middling or retreats, very little new in either games or aspects of them (not that new/innovation = good but it does frequently lead there), third parties mostly doing token efforts or ignoring it, lacks much in the way of a compelling set of core games (never mind the sort of reference standards of older stuff that people still use as a baseline for discussion), does not even really seem to have a gimmick like wii sports to explain things.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't get it at all. Has not brought us to the land of milk and honey, games are generally middling or retreats, very little new in either games or aspects of them (not that new/innovation = good but it does frequently lead there), third parties mostly doing token efforts or ignoring it, lacks much in the way of a compelling set of core games (never mind the sort of reference standards of older stuff that people still use as a baseline for discussion), does not even really seem to have a gimmick like wii sports to explain things.
:rofl: I dont usually use these, but I just have to for you. The switch has a fantastic lineup of games and it can be portable. Why is that hard to understand? You can hand wave their library away all you want, but people love it and vote with their wallet.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/switch/metascore

Last edited by kevin corms,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
:rofl: I dont usually use these, but I just have to for you. The switch has a fantastic lineup of games and it can be portable. Why is that hard to understand? You can hand wave their library away all you want, but people love it and vote with their wallet.
Can I get a list of things I might be missing.

I had a great time with my GBA, better time with the DS, GB/GBC did plenty well for me and exploring it again this last few years has seen me appreciate more (a lot of things are quite simple but really tight implementations of staples of the GBA and DS without extra cruft that the GBA and DS brought forth -- Mr Driller on the GBC is probably a worse game than 2 on the GBA or even the DS version, however its core loop is really really tight, this sort of thing repeats a lot for the GB/GBC library when compared to later things.
Can even respect the gamecube for doing something and having some interesting things, even some aspects of the N64 (though that was destined for nothing but failure) do very well. Indeed to this day I own a pretty respectable library for both of those, though the N64 was mostly because everything got really cheap (gamecube to a lesser extent) and I did not think it worth the effort to go trade everything in for a pittance.

Switch though... has nothing that made any of those special, and from where I sit if you expect to play it and enjoy the general games and gameplay styles of the day (if you only have an xbox then sure you might miss gran turismo, but forza more or less makes up for it and vice versa. If you only had a playstation you might miss halo but who cares even when it was good as you have enough general shooting fun that it does not matter).
Maybe it is because I had the things above that I don't see it as special; if you somehow missed all those, which is quite possible as DS flash cart was probably the only way to properly experience the DS library and the home stuff was generally a failure, then maybe the Switch represents something.
Though I suppose I will ask the same question as I did for the xbone and PS4.
This is my 360 collection ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/xbox-36...sing-obvious-choices-some-help-wanted.591663/ , though I have since added a few more and there are a handful of games I still want to find even if ignore the shmups), it is quite large as you can see and I generally go for both good games and games that do something interesting on the path to later things. I could not make a list of 10 such games I wanted for the PS4 or xbone and looking across the Switch library I am going to struggle there as well, however I might have missed something so others are invited to correct my ignorance.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can I get a list of things I might be missing.

I had a great time with my GBA, better time with the DS, GB/GBC did plenty well for me and exploring it again this last few years has seen me appreciate more (a lot of things are quite simple but really tight implementations of staples of the GBA and DS without extra cruft that the GBA and DS brought forth -- Mr Driller on the GBC is probably a worse game than 2 on the GBA or even the DS version, however its core loop is really really tight, this sort of thing repeats a lot for the GB/GBC library when compared to later things.
Can even respect the gamecube for doing something and having some interesting things, even some aspects of the N64 (though that was destined for nothing but failure) do very well. Indeed to this day I own a pretty respectable library for both of those, though the N64 was mostly because everything got really cheap (gamecube to a lesser extent) and I did not think it worth the effort to go trade everything in for a pittance.

Switch though... has nothing that made any of those special, and from where I sit if you expect to play it and enjoy the general games and gameplay styles of the day (if you only have an xbox then sure you might miss gran turismo, but forza more or less makes up for it and vice versa. If you only had a playstation you might miss halo but who cares even when it was good as you have enough general shooting fun that it does not matter).
Maybe it is because I had the things above that I don't see it as special; if you somehow missed all those, which is quite possible as DS flash cart was probably the only way to properly experience the DS library and the home stuff was generally a failure, then maybe the Switch represents something.
Though I suppose I will ask the same question as I did for the xbone and PS4.
This is my 360 collection ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/xbox-36...sing-obvious-choices-some-help-wanted.591663/ , though I have since added a few more and there are a handful of games I still want to find even if ignore the shmups), it is quite large as you can see and I generally go for both good games and games that do something interesting on the path to later things. I could not make a list of 10 such games I wanted for the PS4 or xbone and looking across the Switch library I am going to struggle there as well, however I might have missed something so others are invited to correct my ignorance.

I mean you might still personally not like the software library on switch, but games people like are on it. I think the most overlooked fantastic switch game is Astral Chain.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
undeserved, easily the worst Nintendo Console.
On a list that includes the DSi, N64 and Virtual Boy?
I mean you might still personally not like the software library on switch, but games people like are on it.
People like all manner of junk. I would maintain though if I can have a great time with the GB/GBC, GBA, DS, gamecube and even N64 after the fact (at the time the game drought was brutal), as well as PS360, then the Switch doing nothing much for me is oddity.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People like all manner of junk. I would maintain though if I can have a great time with the GB/GBC, GBA, DS, gamecube and even N64 after the fact (at the time the game drought was brutal), as well as PS360, then the Switch doing nothing much for me is oddity.
Maybe, personally I cant stand the n64 because I find most games unplayable on it. The performance is just too awful. Im surprised you cant have much fin with the switch, I certainly like it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe, personally I cant stand the n64 because I find most games unplayable on it. The performance is just too awful.
I have the same problem today/about 3 years after the gamecube came out and I tried to replay such things.
Give me the same games on something like the Rare replay collection and other such remakes and ports (PC ports of the time are hard to compare as they can be quite different games) and that is a different matter. Still maintain Perfect Dark has a lot to teach FPS games of today.

Reactions: kevin corms

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
thats good for them but unfortunate for us. the ritcher they get they less they care for quality hardvare, services or software and consumers. you cant have both.

so when you say how switch is the most sold console and present that as a good thing, remember that that means nothing good for the end user.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: