• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

This might get me to buy an EV

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In 10 - 12 years or so.

https://www.business-standard.com/i...tate-battery-breakthrough-123102300252_1.html

~ 1200km range
~ 10 min charge time
Not a fire risk in a crash

Sounds good. Toyota says mass production starts 2027-28. Im not the early adopter type so maybe after 5 years of cars with these batteries being on the road, we'll be able to say if these claims have been met. So yeah, 10 - 12 years or so from now, I'll consider an EV.

We need a bunch of new nuke plants, pronto. Once those cons of EV's are eliminated I think demand will take off, and getting all the electricity that's gonna require from coal, natural gas, diesel etc would be super stupid.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehhh maybe, still not convinced the power grid (here where I live in the US) can handle 100 million cars all charging up at the same time but it would be interesting to see.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solid-state batteries offer several advantages over traditional batteries, including higher energy density, increased safety, and longer lifespan. However, they also come with their own set of challenges, including high cost, lower power output, and technical hurdles.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, despite resistance for the sake of it, renewable energy has already surpassed coal. As for nuclear power, small modular reactors might be finally getting some use.

Around 10 years from now, is when new gas cars bans will start taking effect. Although, it might feel earlier than that, if enough companies decide they are just not going to wait that long.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, despite resistance for the sake of it, renewable energy has already surpassed coal. As for nuclear power, small modular reactors might be finally getting some use.

Around 10 years from now, is when new gas cars bans will start taking effect. Although, it might feel earlier than that, if enough companies decide they are just not going to wait that long.
Yeah well, CA is already trying to make it impossible to Renew Registration for Gas Powered Vehicles, to force People into EVs. Hence a reason I am trying to get OUT of Commiefornia.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Yeah well, CA is already trying to make it impossible to Renew Registration for Gas Powered Vehicles, to force People into EVs. Hence a reason I am trying to get OUT of Commiefornia.
If you live in flats or housing without a driveway people will sue you if they trip over your charge cable if you are charging from the street via an extension to your house/flat. Either that or you need to go and sit in some janky petrol station for hours on end waiting for your shit mobile to charge up all while paying more than you pay for petrol. Never mind the range anxiety if you drive for 50 miles or so and then wondering if you'll have enough charge to get home again in the winter when it's snowing and you're stuck in traffic with the heater on sapping away at your mileage. Then there's the mad insurance costs as some EV's are becoming uninsurable. Scrap the car if it's been in a minor crash and then wonder if it's going to catch fire and set your house ablaze or fry you into a crisp if you can't get out in time while the battery comes into contact with oxygen.

Never mind the entire infrastructure of the country needing to install thicker cables so they can handle the amperage of thousands of cars charging at the same time. Then what do you do when there's a major incident such as a hurricane heading your way - you can't drive far and you certainly can't sit a queue for 1000+ hours waiting for your turn to charge up. EV's are not the future. Save your money and buy a horse and cart, the elites will be OK though, while the rest of us live like the Amish.

Reactions: Smoker1

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
A major issue America has with adopting EVs is just how dummy BIG everything is, and EVs just don't have the range for an average user's needs.
I could get by with a 25 mile range for daily commute and various chores, but a 50 mile range might barely cover a one way trip in the US.

Battery tech needs to get with the times.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A major issue America has with adopting EVs is just how dummy BIG everything is, and EVs just don't have the range for an average user's needs.
I could get by with a 25 mile range for daily commute and various chores, but a 50 mile range might barely cover a one way trip in the US.

Battery tech needs to get with the times.
There are already cars with over 300 miles of range and that includes SUVs.

Reactions: Xzi

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you live in flats or housing without a driveway people will sue you if they trip over your charge cable if you are charging from the street via an extension to your house/flat. Either that or you need to go and sit in some janky petrol station for hours on end waiting for your shit mobile to charge up all while paying more than you pay for petrol. Never mind the range anxiety if you drive for 50 miles or so and then wondering if you'll have enough charge to get home again in the winter when it's snowing and you're stuck in traffic with the heater on sapping away at your mileage. Then there's the mad insurance costs as some EV's are becoming uninsurable. Scrap the car if it's been in a minor crash and then wonder if it's going to catch fire and set your house ablaze or fry you into a crisp if you can't get out in time while the battery comes into contact with oxygen.

Never mind the entire infrastructure of the country needing to install thicker cables so they can handle the amperage of thousands of cars charging at the same time. Then what do you do when there's a major incident such as a hurricane heading your way - you can't drive far and you certainly can't sit a queue for 1000+ hours waiting for your turn to charge up. EV's are not the future. Save your money and buy a horse and cart, the elites will be OK though, while the rest of us live like the Amish.
Solid state batteries solve a lot of the issues you mentioned (I feel like you didn't read the OP)
You act like combustion engines are perfect, far from it, their complexity makes them far more likely to break down (especially as they age), and makes repairs more expensive. And they're perfectly capable of catching fire/exploding if damaged as well, this is not something unique to EVs. Not to mention they're killing the planet, they're just not sustainable.
I will grant you that EVs in their current state might not be perfect, but neither are gas powered vehicles. Hydrogen fuel cells are a technology that has potential to be the future of vehicles, if it wasn't for one thing, the high complexity and therefore, price. They are pretty much always going to be more expensive to make/buy than the alternatives, greatly limiting their appeal.
Gas powered vehicles really do not have a place in the modern world though. The technology peaked a while ago, there is not much they can continue improving. EVs are still a young technology, and still have great potential for improvements.
Counterpoint to hurricanes/major incidents:
What you are pointing out is not an issue with EVs specifically, but with our reliance on grid power in general. That's a big reason why why many people go fully self-sufficient with solar.
If the apocalypse/end of the world actually happened one day (like preppers are so worried about), you could continue charging an EV on just solar. Gasoline, on the other hand, has an expiry date, so gas powered cars would be made useless in 6 months-1 yr.
Obviously, that's a hypothetical scenario. Just trying to make the point that in any areas where longer power outages are common due to natural disasters (or otherwise), solar is the perfect solution to that and anyone living there should be strongly considering it.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Solid state batteries solve a lot of the issues you mentioned (I feel like you didn't read the OP)
You act like combustion engines are perfect, far from it, their complexity makes them far more likely to break down (especially as they age), and makes repairs more expensive. And they're perfectly capable of catching fire/exploding if damaged as well, this is not something unique to EVs. Not to mention they're killing the planet, they're just not sustainable.
I will grant you that EVs in their current state might not be perfect, but neither are gas powered vehicles. Hydrogen fuel cells are a technology that has potential to be the future of vehicles, if it wasn't for one thing, the high complexity and therefore, price. They are pretty much always going to be more expensive to make/buy than the alternatives, greatly limiting their appeal.
Gas powered vehicles really do not have a place in the modern world though. The technology peaked a while ago, there is not much they can continue improving. EVs are still a young technology, and still have great potential for improvements.
Counterpoint to hurricanes/major incidents:
What you are pointing out is not an issue with EVs specifically, but with our reliance on grid power in general. That's a big reason why why many people go fully self-sufficient with solar.
If the apocalypse/end of the world actually happened one day (like preppers are so worried about), you could continue charging an EV on just solar. Gasoline, on the other hand, has an expiry date, so gas powered cars would be made useless in 6 months-1 yr.
Obviously, that's a hypothetical scenario. Just trying to make the point that in any areas where longer power outages are common due to natural disasters (or otherwise), solar is the perfect solution to that and anyone living there should be strongly considering it.
I pointed out some of the many flaws with EV's and never said combustion engines were perfect - that's just speculation on your part. However with all the current tech that's available and all the knowledge I have (I have city and guilds level 3 in Wheeled vehicle tech and Tracked vehicle tech - and both with distinctions), so I know a fair bit about vehicle tech - probably a lot more than you do. I also have a very deep knowledge on different types of batteries and how they work and a great understanding of all things electrical. I know indepth how electric vehicles work, how the software and battery bms sytems work and the many issues with ev's. So please don't try and be condesending as I've probably forgotten more on the subject that you'll ever know.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I pointed out some of the many flaws with EV's and never said combustion engines were perfect - that's just speculation on your part. However with all the current tech that's available and all the knowledge I have (I have city and guilds level 3 in Wheeled vehicle tech and Tracked vehicle tech - and both with distinctions), so I know a fair bit about vehicle tech - probably a lot more than you do. I also have a very deep knowledge on different types of batteries and how they work and a great understanding of all things electrical. I know indepth how electric vehicles work, how the software and battery bms sytems work and the many issues with ev's. So please don't try and be condesending as I've probably forgotten more on the subject that you'll ever know.
This has got to be a copypasta meme.

• Haha
Reactions: Dangy and pustal

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, here's a thought........What if you Live in an Apartment Complex??? Managers wont want People putting out Extension Cables everywhere, and the Rent will skyrocket due to needing to get Lines and Chargers put into EVERY Parking Spot. Plus, certain EVs are a Target for Thieves due to the Metals used. With how much EVs Cost, Solid-State Batteries are going to jump those Prices like no other. Since there will be no Gas-Tax, they will Adopt what Oregon and a few others will do, by instituting a Mileage Tax.

Not to mention, there is the Possibility of some places adopting a EU Item of a Zero-Emission Zones, and if you are caught Driving, you will get a Ticket.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Well, here's a thought........What if you Live in an Apartment Complex??? Managers wont want People putting out Extension Cables everywhere, and the Rent will skyrocket due to needing to get Lines and Chargers put into EVERY Parking Spot. Plus, certain EVs are a Target for Thieves due to the Metals used. With how much EVs Cost, Solid-State Batteries are going to jump those Prices like no other. Since there will be no Gas-Tax, they will Adopt what Oregon and a few others will do, by instituting a Mileage Tax.

Not to mention, there is the Possibility of some places adopting a EU Item of a Zero-Emission Zones, and if you are caught Driving, you will get a Ticket.
I bet loads get stolen and the batteries stolen so people can use them to store solar power. The batteries in EV's are pretty much what's in the tesla powerwall. Just think of a laptop battery, they work ok for a while then need replaced because the charge hardly lasts anytime, that's pretty much all a car EV battery is - it just has more cells in it. Also batteries and cold don't mix, I live in a place where it gets below 0 degrees C quite often in the winter - these battery cells contain liquid that can freeze and perform poorly in the cold. Then often they lose charge when sitting for a while, if they drop below a certain voltage the cells start electro plating themselves and become even more useless - so for those folks on deployment in the forces that will be away for 6 months, a year or whatever - expect your battery to be fooked when you get home.

Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet loads get stolen and the batteries stolen so people can use them so store solar power. The batteries in EV's are pretty much what's in the tesla powerwall. Just think of a laptop battery, they work ok for a while then need replaced because the charge hardly lasts anytime, that's pretty much all a car EV battery is - it just has more cells in it. Also batteries and cold don't mix, I live in a place where it gets below 0 degrees C quite often in the winter - these battery cells contain liquid that can freeze and perform poorly in the cold. Then often they lose charge when sitting for a while, if they drop below a certain voltage the cells start electro plating themselves and become even more useless - so for those folks on deployment in the forces that will be away for 6 months, a year or whatever - expect your battery to be fooked when you get home.
Saw a Video where it was 9 Degrees out, Guy was trying to Charge his Vehicle, and for 2-4 Hours, it stayed at the same Level, with a Notification saying Warming Up Battery. LOL

Plus look at how much the Battery for a EV Costs!!! You know Servicing a EV will Cost a LOT more than a Regular Gas Powered Vehicle.

But all these Dems talk about it will be better for the Environment, clean Air, and whatnot.......but dont Charge up your Vehicle.....the Power Grid cannot handle it!!! But also, what about the Mining for the Components for the EVs. Is that good for the Environment???? Especially with China using basically Slave Labor, including Children to Mine for the Metals???? It all comes from primarily Chinese Controlled Operations and in Chinese Controlled Areas. So Dems are effectively supporting Communism, and trying to force it onto People.......hence also why trying to strip everyone of Rights slowly, starting with the 2A, and allowing Chinese Companies to set up shop in America, with little to no Oversight, like a Illegal Chinese Lab that was found in CA, and Chinese trying to Buy Land around a Military Base in North Dakota or somewhere near that Area.
If Japan gets the ball rolling on the Solid-State Batteries, that will probably get controlled by Chinese.

Reactions: mrdude

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Saw a Video where it was 9 Degrees out, Guy was trying to Charge his Vehicle, and for 2-4 Hours, it stayed at the same Level, with a Notification saying Warming Up Battery. LOL

Plus look at how much the Battery for a EV Costs!!! You know Servicing a EV will Cost a LOT more than a Regular Gas Powered Vehicle.

But all these Dems talk about it will be better for the Environment, clean Air, and whatnot.......but dont Charge up your Vehicle.....the Power Grid cannot handle it!!! But also, what about the Mining for the Components for the EVs. Is that good for the Environment???? Especially with China using basically Slave Labor, including Children to Mine for the Metals???? It all comes from primarily Chinese Controlled Operations and in Chinese Controlled Areas. So Dems are effectively supporting Communism, and trying to force it onto People.......hence also why trying to strip everyone of Rights slowly, starting with the 2A, and allowing Chinese Companies to set up shop in America, with little to no Oversight, like a Illegal Chinese Lab that was found in CA, and Chinese trying to Buy Land around a Military Base in North Dakota or somewhere near that Area.
If Japan gets the ball rolling on the Solid-State Batteries, that will probably get controlled by Chinese.
Hydrogen cells are the future.Toyota has a new hydrogen cell engine working. 1000K range, quick refeuling and no need to update to power grid.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/corporate/39288520.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a41103863/hydrogen-cars-fcev/

EthanB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hydrogen cells are the future.Toyota has a new hydrogen cell engine working. 1000K range, quick refeuling and no need to update to power grid.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/corporate/39288520.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a41103863/hydrogen-cars-fcev/
The problem with hydrogen cars is the massive expense of refuelling them and the lack of infrastructure to get the fuel anyway. I remember years back there were hydrogen cars and it evaporated into nothingness because refuelling was incredibly difficult. I think it was only Shell that had the fuel stations, and only a few of them at that. I would love to have a hydrogen car if the infrastructure supported it

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
The problem with hydrogen cars is the massive expense of refuelling them and the lack of infrastructure to get the fuel anyway. I remember years back there were hydrogen cars and it evaporated into nothingness because refuelling was incredibly difficult. I think it was only Shell that had the fuel stations, and only a few of them at that. I would love to have a hydrogen car if the infrastructure supported it
It's going to become a thing and it's far easier and cheaper to create hydrogen fuel points than all the new power stations and upgrades to the electrical infrastructre that would need to be done for EV charging, never mind the refueling speed and the range, saftey and ease to repair a hydrogen based car over an EV. EV's a for clowns, they are the betamax video of the video generation and in my lifetime they will become a relic of the past. Once someone that lives in a block of flats sees someone that can refuel in 5 minutes and doesn't need to sit for hours on end at a charging station after a hard days work, I know what kind of car they will buy - especially since they will be able to drive for greater distances without worrying about running out of charge. They won't need to scrap their car when the battery is shit, and they won't face mental repair costs and worry about their house going up in flames when charging the battery.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=EV+fires

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/pub...by-2030-but-warns-uk-is-lagging-behind/291802

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste