• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

This might get me to buy an EV

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ahh two people with the same opinion - that's never happened before. Also you did read the last bit of my post but you have no comeback, hence you're too scared to reply to prevent yourself from looking even more silly.
It’s a *verbatim*, word-for-word quote. I’m going to say that’s not a coincidence and dismiss your point of view. I didn’t even bother reading past that point. I don’t know why you’re opposed to generating hydrogen on the spot (which *is* the future of H2 vehicles by the way), you insist on using giant tankers and gas stations *for no reason* and playing into the hands of the corporations running them which rely on customers parking up to fill their tanks - that’s their bread and butter, it’s where they add their mark-up. It’s cheap fuel that anyone can make with minimum equipment, effectively zero waste and zero chemistry knowledge, you can set up a hydrogen generator outside of your house *right now*. In fact, hydrogen generators can do *so much more* than just filling up your tank - hydrogen boilers are used for central heating and hot water supply. It makes *perfect sense* for households to use it, and possibly generate it in the future. You could effectively eliminate the need for transporting liquid fuel altogether, but you don’t want to for some undisclosed reason. It’s super silly, especially for a hydrogen proponent.
Please stop being so agreeable, it's scaring me.
I’m an “enginerd”, I look at things from an engineering point of view, and I know a lot about batteries. In fact, I build my own cell packs that rival or surpass what is available on the market today. I think my 150Wh portable PS4, which I cobbled together from individual cells and “chinesium” PCB’s has something to say on this matter, but hey, that’s a personal project.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, to be fair, fuel stations might still be around, since I don't think everyone has room for their own personal tanks, but if the fuel stations themselves can make the fuel, I don't think tankers will be needed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, to be fair, fuel stations might still be around, since I don't think everyone has room for their own personal tanks, but if the fuel stations themselves can make the fuel, I don't think tankers will be needed.
That’s my point. You obviously need *small* areas where one can refill their vehicle in case of an emergency, or to simply top up the tank mid-journey - I’m not disputing that. What I am disputing is the notion that you can’t just produce the hydrogen then and there as needed. All you have to do is have a giant pressure vessel for the collected hydrogen underground, a bunch of panels across the entire roof (to supply renewable energy directly when conditions are good), a supply to the electricity main (in the event of unfavourable weather conditions) and main water supply (for obvious reasons). You don’t *need* one giant facility where all of the hydrogen is being manufactured just to distribute it with vehicles (that will immediately use the hydrogen you’ve just generated), you don’t need to build new or repurpose old pipelines (which is extremely labour-intensive and time consuming), you *can* have smaller facilities dotted all around the place. You have to look beyond the whole “big gas station” mindset (although some would obviously remain near main thoroughfares or in remote areas) - hydrogen stations could be sitting there completely unmanned at every car park. They wouldn’t have to cater to an enormous customer base, just one neighbourhood. That’s *way* more efficient in my opinion, not less - you’re cutting out a lot of middlemen, and that’s reflected in the cost of the fuel. You don’t even *have* to use solar panels either - I can’t throw a rock and not hit a windmill farm in my area, there’s already plenty of zero emissions electricity available, stations here could tap right into mains supply without any issues. As for “having a tank at home”, people grossly overestimate the space requirements for this sort of thing. If you have room for a hot water boiler, you have enough room for a tank - it’s just one household, you don’t need a lot of space or a lot of capacity. For large residential buildings with multiple apartments it’s even less of an issue because they have giant basements.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?