Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
And I'm using GIMP
tongue.gif

I think you have to try out which fits you the most, for Example, GIMP is free, but isn't that complex like Photoshop. Photoshop is complex, but not free, etc...But I'm happy with Gimp
biggrin.gif

hank987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have any kid friendly themes - with no graphics indicating options, etc?

Maybe a Mario or SpongeBob type graphical feel?

DonTlaloc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hank987 said:
Anyone have any kid friendly themes - with no graphics indicating options, etc?

Maybe a Mario or SpongeBob type graphical feel?

Here's a Spongebob_3D (requires v41 or higher)
if you don't want buttons replace bg_overlay.png with bg_overlay(none).png and bg_overlay_w.png with bg_overlay_w(none).png

Sorry, no time for a preview, I'll add that later (promise)
smile.gif

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
milcoi said:
you can also try making your own theme with the theme creator tool. See first post for the link.

sorry but this does not create themes it only configures theme.txt's, it can create the theme.txt's not the themes itself(.png's)

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
If you guys produce a nice overlay file with a semi-transparent console section and the buttons, perhaps with their own semi-transparent box around them, I can add it to my Configurator releases and then anyone would be able to use it to create a theme from virtually any desktop image they can find (I'll include instructions for resizing said background in Paint or something). It would probably be best to include a version without the buttons too.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Edit: I might even be able to take it a step further. How does this sound: I guess I might be able to generate the needed overlay files in the Configurator itself. I'd need somebody to give me a nice graphic for the buttons that should work over any image, but I could allow the resizing and movement of the buttons and auto-generate the console based on the console settings. I just need to know what would look good in this case. Any ideas?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to double post, but this seemed a little too important for just an edit.

After a little research, it seems this overlay generation is definitely doable and not terribly hard. I'd like to get the input from those creating the themes (and those who want to create themes but don't know anything about image manipulation) on how you want these generic overlay elements to look.

What I'll probably do at first is to have two boxes and an image for the buttons. Everything will be sizable and movable using the new code I added to the latest release and each of the boxes will have selectable RRGGBBAA colours for the interior and a border, with an additional thickness control for the border.

There are some things I need to know from you guys if I am going to go ahead with this. Firstly, I need a nice image file of just the button section to include as a sample (which I could just rip from an existing overlay, but maybe you guys want something better). Secondly, I need to know the maximum width of the images you expect to use. I assume 854 should be enough (you will be able to select any other width down to 640 of course). Thirdly, I need good default sizes and colours for the boxes and buttons image. Perhaps the console box default should be auto-generated from the config settings (this might be hard for widescreen stuff, though), what do you all think?

Using all this, a standard user just has to do this to make their own theme:

1: Start up the new Image Creation Wizard from Configurator
2: Choose their background image and if it is not the correct height, I will automatically ask for a filename to save an image to which is scaled to the correct height.
3: Turn on/off the overlay features they want.
4: Move, size and colour the overlay features until they get it looking the way they want.
5: Save off the overlay image.
6: Go to the Console Wizard I already have.
7: Play with the other features to complete their theme.

Should I be bothered with making this? I'm pretty sure it would be easy given the code I already have, but I don't want to do it unless people express a need for it. Is there anything else I should add (e.g., a third box to go behind the covers, maybe?). Don't forget to answer the questions I asked earlier.

milcoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
sounds perfect... I see what I can do...
I will provide you the transparent buttons I use.
Also my transparent overlay for background 16:9 and 4:3 (select large3 in your tool for best fit.)

If you can make .png files with your tool then you will have the perfect tool for creating theme's

Let's say you have a small rounded corner square or straight corner and you can adjust the size, color, border thickness and transparency of that square. Then you can make your own transparent overlay!

cheers,
Milcoi

milcoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please tell me if these pics are helpfull

transparent pics

does you tool now have the correct cover / console positions in the wizzard?
If yes, i will make some screenshot of each different layout and can make some default layers for them.

I ask because when I use it and select layout ultimate 1 for example, the cover border is over the console border.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
milcoi said:
If you can make .png files with your tool then you will have the perfect tool for creating theme's

Let's say you have a small rounded corner square or straight corner and you can adjust the size, color, border thickness and transparency of that square. Then you can make your own transparent overlay!
Um yes, that is exactly what I was describing.

milcoi said:
Please tell me if these pics are helpfull

transparent pics
They are, but I'll probably drop the power button (it's not good for placement).

does you tool now have the correct cover / console positions in the wizzard?
If yes, i will make some screenshot of each different layout and can make some default layers for them.

I ask because when I use it and select layout ultimate 1 for example, the cover border is over the console border.
Seems like I may have not entered the widescreen cover_coords numbers in correctly. However, the widescreen numbers are exactly the same as the non-widescreen ones for a workaround. I'll fix that in the next version.

We won't really need the default layers if I make my tool up as the user will be able to easily make their own layout by dragging the buttons and boxes to where they want them to be. What I need to know is an aesthetically pleasing set of default values for the colour and transparency levels of the boxes.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a pretty big release, so I'm cross-posting it:
v41v3 of Configurator is out

download here

Changes:
  • All new overlay wizard for creation of overlay images!
The overlay wizard allows you to turn any desktop image into a theme for Configurable in only a few minutes. The tool will resize your background image to the size Configurable needs and then lets you change the colours and move overlay elements to match your theme and save straight to an overlay file. Here's a look at the new wizard interface:

olwiz.png

Simple instructions are available via the Instructions button, but I hope most of it is intuitive. If you have questions, ask away in the Configurator thread.

As always, if there are any bugs, please let me know.

I'd also like to know form the other theme creators where you would like the buttons to go as default. I didn't include them in this release, but it will probably go into the next.

Edit:

v41v4 of the Configurator is also out.

download here

It allows you to save background images from file formats other than .png and also supports rounding of corners in the generated overlay boxes.

Another Edit:
And here's a buttons.png to use cropped from milcoi's stuff above. I'll include this in the releases from now on. If someone else wants to include a different set, send it to me and I'll add it too.
buttons.png

whatelse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance of making the music set for each theme instead of just the global config? For instance, if I choose my Batman theme, I want it to play the Batman intro. if I choose a girl theme, i'd like it to play brickhouse or something of the like.

As it is now though, you can only listen to one song for all themes and have to manually edit the global config each time you want to change the path.

Just a thought. Not a big deal, but it would be pretty sweet.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
whatelse said:
Any chance of making the music set for each theme instead of just the global config? For instance, if I choose my Batman theme, I want it to play the Batman intro. if I choose a girl theme, i'd like it to play brickhouse or something of the like.

As it is now though, you can only listen to one song for all themes and have to manually edit the global config each time you want to change the path.

Just a thought. Not a big deal, but it would be pretty sweet.
You should ask this in the main thread. I'll cover one of the reasons why it's not such a good idea, though. When loading a theme, all theme options reset to their defaults. Thus, if you wanted to use the same music in every theme, you are forced to either use the default directory or manually change every theme.txt without its own music.

QUOTE(Wii Warrior @ Aug 25 2009, 02:49 AM) Has anyone done a Mario theme yet?
Why not make your own with the Configurator. Find a Mario desktop background of any size, use the overlay wizard which will convert the image to one for a theme, then place your overlay element and save the overlay, then go to the console wizard and correctly size the console and you are done. Should take about 5 minutes all up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: