Question Any possibility of seeing Doom 3 (2004) ported to switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Csmrcc, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Csmrcc
    OP

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Thats the question, is there a possibility of seeing that great game on the switch?
    i remember see some screenshots in February-April of this year about it.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Via homebrew maybe? maybe too heavy? maybe some kind of doom3 Linux version in lakka?
    Thanks

Last edited by Csmrcc, Sep 18, 2018
  2. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    It's entirely possible. Whether or not someone does it is a different story.

3. Yoshi9288

Yoshi9288 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2008
    Germany
    To be Honest Doom 3 wasn't that good. In my eyes it was just Boring as hell.

4. lostdotfish

lostdotfish Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2016
    Definitely possible as it was ported by Nvidia to run natively on the Nvidia Shield TV

5. Csmrcc
    OP

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Yes, i know its not going to be very demanded, or less than a ton of other games, but whats weird to me is that it was so "done" according to some guys, and so "early" (february) in the scene that not seeing nothing around about it is just..weird.
    Maybe all of it was a fake?

https://twitter.com/iodoom3/status/966900746674356224/photo/1

Last edited by Csmrcc, Sep 18, 2018
  6. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    It wasn't the good old doom run n gun formula. I thought it was alright as a slower, jump scare game.

7. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    It was based on this:
    https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3

Although, from the looks of it and the time it was teased, I dare to say that it was running through Linux on the Switch, not a Horizon OS homebrew sadly (I could be wrong though)

Memoir likes this.
  8. phreaksho

phreaksho GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2007
    United States
    Post falls, Idaho
    Although it had a totally different approach than the other games, I still got a doom vibe every time I played it. Played it on my tablet a few years back and I did like the portability of it, felt more appropriate imo. And while iIwould like to see doom 64 too, I could enjoy this game on the switch.

9. fgsfds

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    It's possible, but would require more memory than is accessible to an applet, meaning you'd probably have to run it either from the NSP version of hbmenu or as a "standalone" NSP.

Memoir likes this.
  10. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    I would love this game on switch. I watched how it ran on Voodoo 2 with 12mb VRAM a few days back, insanity. Im sure its possible but no clue how hard that would be :)

Memoir likes this.
  11. jfmherokiller

jfmherokiller Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    its technically possible hardest issue is porting over openal-soft. I have attempted to port this to the switch but i cant get openal-soft into working state.

Last edited by jfmherokiller, Sep 19, 2018
  12. Csmrcc
    OP

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    So, we have nothing to do with the things they implemented, on linux, a few months ago?
    According to the images, if they are true, it was almost done.

13. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    isn't that Doom the one that killed the franchise in the first place? why do you even want it back?

14. Csmrcc
    OP

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Killed? Idk about that, I suppose yours is an opinion, respectable like others.
    The answer is: because I like it, another opinion, I think it is a good game who's development was advanced months ago, nothing more.
    XD
    which one did you think was going to be my answer? It was necessary to ask?

Last edited by Csmrcc, Sep 19, 2018
  15. jfmherokiller

jfmherokiller Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    regardless of if it did or did not kill the franchise, it is still a complex project and could lead to a greater understanding of what is needed to port possibly more complex projects. To kind of give an example: by porting this we might be able to gain enough information to port something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiwinia.

Last edited by jfmherokiller, Sep 19, 2018
  16. NCDyson

NCDyson Hello Boys...

Nov 9, 2009
    United States
    more than likely, it was a quick port, or a compile with the minimal modification necessary to get it to run on linux, rather than an actual project that someone was working on, and why there haven't been any updates on it.

which is unfortunate, because i have some very fond memories of playing this game with my best friend when it was originally released, and would love to see it on the switch. sadly, I've got too many projects as it is, otherwise i would throw some time into it.

Csmrcc likes this.
  17. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Regardless of whether or not Doom 3 was a bad game, it'd still be cool to see it ported.

bad361, nmkd and NCDyson like this.
  18. Notex

Notex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2017
    Australia
    bad361 and TimeDevouncer like this.
  19. NCDyson

NCDyson Hello Boys...

Nov 9, 2009
    United States
    yeah, we'll be arguing about that all day, especially considering review scores for the game seem mostly favorable.

at this point it's really a matter of finding someone willing to do the work in porting it over.

kikongokiller likes this.
  20. TimeDevouncer

TimeDevouncer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2018
    Spain