Hacking The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Performance Boost Thread

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And how does that happen ? I feel like your grasping at straws

I was running BOTW with max overclock for over a year docked and not once had an issue with battery drain. I was even running sys modules

If all of that doesn’t cause battery drain while docked nothing will. Stop using jankey shit
I've literally tested this tens of times it does happen. Its usually high clocks (1.785/921) while being stressed, you can try running neir at 60fps to see it in action

Thegamefox1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PERFORMANCE BOOST
The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom

SYS-CLK

HANDHELD + CHARGING
  • CPU: 1581 MHz
  • GPU: 768 MHz
  • MEM: 1600 MHz
DOCKED
  • GPU: 921 MHz
This configuration provides general improvement on game's performance stability while playing in handheld mode with the charger connected.

Hi,
I just want to open this thread to collect together some informations, guides, tutorials, patches for getting better performance in Zelda: TOTK.

Do you have any suggestion to boost game’s performance, based on BOTW experience?
Just curious. What are the default clock speeds for tears of the kingdom in docked and handheld mode (non-charging)? Is it…
CPU: 1020 MHz
GPU: 384 MHz
MEM: 1333 MHz

For handheld mode?

itends

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Am I the only one who has constant framedrops every time a certain character
comes close to the camera and becomes transparent? No matter if overclocked settings or not. Running TotK version 1.1.0 on launch switch model.
Mineru Companion (The big robot)

Last edited by itends,
Reactions: Frisk_

GalaxyXYZ888

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's supposed to play 60 FPS in Erista Max Overclock ? It can do 60 but only in specific places then drop directly to 30 and slows down of cours

XstahSie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PERFORMANCE BOOST
The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom

SYS-CLK

HANDHELD + CHARGING
  • GPU: 768 MHz
DOCKED
  • GPU: 921 MHz
This configuration provides general improvement on game's performance stability while playing in handheld mode with the charger connected.

Hi,
I just want to open this thread to collect together some informations, guides, tutorials, patches for getting better performance in Zelda: TOTK.

Do you have any suggestion to boost game’s performance, based on BOTW experience?

I have a modded Switch OLED. Is the below settings safe to use while in handheld mode without a charger?

CPU: 1581 MHz
GPU: 768 MHz
MEM: 1600 MHz

If yes, can I go beyond this limit, say 1785 MHz for CPU and 921 MHz for GPU?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's supposed to play 60 FPS in Erista Max Overclock ? It can do 60 but only in specific places then drop directly to 30 and slows down of cours
It probably can kinda OK but you will have to use like 480P or some other crap low resolution so it's kinda pointless at least for me.

Maybe if they make a proper 60FPS patch without Vsync and like dynamic physics slowdown according to the FPS at the moment we could get finally a good 30 to 60 FPS experience but it would still be a stuttery mess at 720P with the FPS going up and down like a crazy :wink:
I have a modded Switch OLED. Is the below settings safe to use while in handheld mode without a charger?

CPU: 1581 MHz
GPU: 768 MHz
MEM: 1600 MHz

If yes, can I go beyond this limit, say 1785 MHz for CPU and 921 MHz for GPU?
I would bump the memory to like 1996mhz or something close my self but it's all up to you, if you want 0% problems 1600mhz is surely the way to go but like 1862mhz is probably 99.9% safe but again it's just my opinion.

Switch OLED memories anyway can usually go considerably higher than Erista V1, it's common to achieve 2000+mhz...

On Erista ppl recommend to use 1862mhz max, I'm currently using 1996mhz with 0 problems for now on mine.

Reactions: SpaceboyScreams

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
CPU overclock is not needed in most areas.
Higher GPU clock and RAM to max should help to reduce the resolution drops.

Ethelbert

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
The mods from ECLIPSE00074 (ecl0674) linked on page 4 looked very good, especially the better texture filtering and increased shadow draw distance, so I had to try them. And well, 4I**R too as the result. Here are my findings.

I have an Erista on fw 16.0.3 and I've used latest 4I**R along with the STAGE 7 loader kip (ST.zip).
Playing docked, on a 1080p monitor and also using MClassic.
4I**R comes as a full, pre set-up pack of Atmosphere, Hekate and million homebrew apps, so I tweaked some minor settings to my liking and deleted all other apps other than 4I**R itself and SaltyNX to monitor performance.

For clocks I use:
CPU : 4I**R Optimized (1428 MHz).
GPU : 998 MHz
MEM : 1996 MHz
You need STAGE 7 to have 1996 MEM available on Erista. Without it you'll have 1862 MHz as max.
For me this is perfectly stable, with temps around 60 - 62 °C.

Curiousity got the best of me and I also tried STAGE 7++ that offers 21xx MHz MEM. Don't do this on Erista. The game immediately crashes upon loading a save with it.

Specific mods I tried:
720p_DynResOff_Lite
The idea was to output 720p and have MClassic upscale it. Perhaps it's cause I sit close to the monitor, but it looked way too obviously "upscaled". Especially the text was distracting. (Sitting close, MClassic works for me better with just touching up a 1080p image, not fully upscaling from 720p.)
900p_DynRes
Just right. Looks really great and holds 30 pretty much perfectly.
900p_DynResOff
Too heavy. Ultrahand in Kakariko drops to 20 FPS.
1080p_DynRes
Really, really great looking but too heavy. This time I tested with a grass fire and got drops to 20 FPS.

Both Kakariko Ultrahand and the grass fire were fine with 900p_DynResOff.
So yeah, I'm happy with 900p_DynResOff.
Thanks ECLIPSE00074 (ecl0674), buddy.

Bonus observation:
When C**ler3D was still posting here about 4I**R and its magically increased efficiency leading to lower temps at higher clocks, it was pretty hard to believe.
But Jesus help my soul, it seems true.
With OC Suite I went GPU : 921 MHz, MEM : 1862 MHz and the temps were mostly around 64 - 65 °C.
With
4I**R I'm on a step higher clocks and the temps are at 60 - 62 °C.
It's minor, maybe some quirk of how the temps are reported, but I would lie if I said I didn't notice.

Last edited by Ethelbert,

thatguyoverthere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to play at dynamic fps? 30/60 range, on switch...

i mean, unlock fps. if i try 60 fps mod the game slow down, my switch is v1 so maximum oc is not an option

thanks

sdrupfen

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys I'm wondering what are the best OC settings for TOTK on an Erista Nintendo Switch in docked mode. I'm a little bit confused because I've read on the Internet that certain settings could exceed board specifications, on the other hand some people are saying that while you're docked and temperatures are under 60° everything is fine. I've tried with the values of this thread and everything is working fine but I've noticed that GPU usually hits 99% load, is that safe?

Elrasiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys I'm wondering what are the best OC settings for TOTK on an Erista Nintendo Switch in docked mode. I'm a little bit confused because I've read on the Internet that certain settings could exceed board specifications, on the other hand some people are saying that while you're docked and temperatures are under 60° everything is fine. I've tried with the values of this thread and everything is working fine but I've noticed that GPU usually hits 99% load, is that safe?
Everything on max is fine since it’s still considered safe settings. Temps around 60 is the norm with more demanding games. If it truly overheats it will notify you.

Last edited by Elrasiel,

sdrupfen

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Everything on max is fine since it’s still considered safe settings. Temps around 60 is the norm with more demanding games. If it truly overheats it will notify you.
Good to hear this, so now I know that I can use the settings of this thread also on my Erista Switch. Are there better tools other than sys-clock to manage OC and temperatures?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44