HANDHELD + CHARGING
  • CPU: 1581 MHz
  • GPU: 768 MHz
  • MEM: 1600 MHz
DOCKED
  • GPU: 921 MHz
This configuration provides general improvement on game's performance stability while playing in handheld mode with the charger connected.

Hi,
I just want to open this thread to collect together some informations, guides, tutorials, patches for getting better performance in Zelda: TOTK.

Do you have any suggestion to boost game’s performance, based on BOTW experience?

Last edited by PEVOx,

Flaming_Autist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my perf is really only an issue when im picking up pieces ive built or want to attach. crazy how quickly it chugs. gpu seems to be whats topped out in handheld mode. maybe the green effect?

Doneo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try disabling some SYSMODULEs if you have many loaded. I had terrible performance when panning the camera which went away after disabling SaltyNX amongst others.

I also found texture streaming improved from nand but this could be placebo, I dont have a slow SD card.

Has any tried dumping the ROMFS and placing it unmodified as a layeredFS mod? Links Awakening had horrible stutter between play areas until I dumped the romFS and loaded the games assets from layeredfs - removing crypto from the equation. Different Engine though, so who knows.

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If I remember right, BotW is punctually bottlenecked by the CPU (that's why the game runs a bit better on Portable mode, that only downclocks GPU and RAM). In some areas the bottleneck is the GPU, but that's rarely a issue for performance since the game compensates it by lowering dynamic resolution.

I assume TotK will be similar (maybe a little better if Nintendo optimized the engine, or worse if the Switch-exclusive sequel pushes the hardware harder than the originally WiiU game).

I bet the game will need a bit of CPU overclock for slowdowns, RAM overclock in portable (never hurts to have faster system/video memory) and to improve resolution and Kollok Forest-like areas, GPU OC... although I won't know for sure until I study the game with System Monitor + nx-FPS

Last edited by Desconocido90,

Doneo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
... although I won't know for sure until I study the game with System Monitor + nx-FPS

Just remember the performance impact such overlays may have when operating at the limit of the switches capabilities. Id expect +/- a few frames.

To be fair, since disabling some sysmodules and overlclocking the ram Ive removed most frame issues as you had summised. Id also bumped the CPU up to 15XX, leaving some headroom and keeping the temps lower.

When I did load up an overlay to check I was locked to 30 most of the time. This dropped during certain animations and ability usuage - Dont want to spoil anything here! BoTW had similar issues with certain abilities that were fixed within a couple of patches.

I imagine reverseNX would iron all the kinks out, but ive no interest of playing at 720P on a bigger display. The current 900P feels rough at times. The five years between both titles hasnt helped. In 2018 this was great for a handheld and passable docked but the texture resolution took some getting used to in 2023.

I usually only play Mario titles on the Switch hardware, so Im used to a sharper looking 60FPS when using it. Yuzu has also spoilt me.

Last edited by Doneo,
Reactions: Desconocido90

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just remember the performance impact such overlays may have when operating at the limit of the switches capabilities. Id expect +/- a few frames.

I'll keep it in mind.

I never disabled SaltyNX since I assumed it hadn't a big impact when I'm not using Tesla Overlay, but now I'll disable it before running games with performance issues

In any case, System Monitor is still useful for profiling games and determining the right amount of OC in the right areas to run it well.

Regarding resolution, I found pleasure in using Dock mode in Handheld for certain games with sub-720p resolution in handheld, as long as I have the console with a charger to use Dock-level Clocks or higher.

It is that or using a resolution mod... although those normally require SaltyNX, don't they?

Last edited by Desconocido90,

PEVOx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
After some testing I've updated the first post

I have a question: boosting GPU clocks can improve dynamic resolution in handheld mode to push the game more often to 720p?

Last edited by PEVOx,

Ajukad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
in my case:

SYS-CLK
DOCKED (Switch V1 launch model)
  • GPU: 920 MHz
900p30 on tv consistently, short split second dip when activating binoculars and otherwise maybe one dip every 30 mins, been monitoring it with a framerate graph overlay during gameplay for several hours in different regions, highest temp has usually been steady between 60 and 63 degrees.

Huge improvement over base clocks imo, no more constant framedrops and the res is alot less "dynamic", the game looks alot better than I expected.

Last edited by Ajukad,

PEVOx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
in my case:

SYS-CLK
DOCKED
900p30 on tv consistently, short split second dip when activating binoculars and otherwise maybe one dip every 30 mins, been monitoring it with a framerate graph overlay during gameplay for several hours in different regions, highest temp has usually been steady between 60 and 63 degrees.

Huge improvement over base clocks imo, no more constant framedrops and the res is alot less "dynamic", the game looks alot better than I expected.
I will add this to the first post as a suggestion for the docked mode

Reactions: Gradin_07

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
in my case:

SYS-CLK
DOCKED

Please add info what Switch model you have.
On Erista models this kind of OC could already exceed the 18W board power.

jolle23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
im confused now. i always thought that sys clk wont allow unsave clocks. what are considered save clocks for the erista model?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1