The GameStick

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Veho, Jan 8, 2013.

Jan 8, 2013

The GameStick by Veho at 11:35 AM (2,838 Views / 0 Likes) 45 replies

1. Veho
    OP

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Prototype.​

Basically it's one of those Android sticks that plugs into the HDMI port and runs Android on your TV, and a wireless gamepad. The stick fits into the gamepad for easy transport, and also because that's neat. It's powered from the HDMI port (for TVs with MHL support) or via USB. Developed by PlayJam, a games developer/publisher/distribution network with an already established library of games for SmartTVs and mobile platforms. The platform is supposed to be "open" to (or one hack away from) other Android software as well.

It will be $79. Not bad.

Official page.

Kickstarter page. The goal has already been reached (twice over).

2. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I'd call it an Ouya killer, but I'm sure the Ouya will be dead on arrival anyway.

That being said, this looks interesting, but I'm kind of doubtful it will be able to make any real dent in the market. It's going to face a tough uphill battle, and I'm not sure if it will be able to gather enough support (either from console/pc gamers or fans of smartphone games) to take it over the top.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You know... I agree, this isn't that bad.

4. finkmac

Member finkmac GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    P L A Y… Hahaha… :lol:

I guess the Shoulder buttons are labeled "E" and "R"…

I_AM_BIB, ouch123 and Rydian like this.
  5. Veho
    OP

Croatia
    Probably not. There's tons of Android sticks out there. This one might get better backing and marketing than a generic Android stick. And it has a dual analog controller (and those things are expensive). And it's pretty competitively priced. Also, emulation :ph34r: (it seems the ultimate goal/wet dream for a ot of console owners is to have every device they own emulate every other device ever). It won't cause a revolution in gaming but it might have moderate success.

6. Its_just_Lou

Member Its_just_Lou GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I watched a couple vids on the 'Ouya'...was mildly excited, then saw it wasn't a hand-held. :(

7. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    edit: Sorry, video removed.

8. Veho
    OP

Croatia
    "This video has been removed by the user."

9. Veho
    OP

Croatia
    Updates!

Here's the final controller design:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Reached, probably, via the time-honored streamlining tradition of carving the previous design out of soap and then washing your hands a few times. Whatever's left is the streamlined redesign.

The Stick will also have a microSD card reader. I didn't know it didn't have one. I had assumed it had one from the start. But anyway. It has one now.

The Kickstarter campaign also raised enough moneyz for the "Dock" stretch goal, so the GameStick will have the dock peripheral available at launch. The dock is a docking bay with 3 USB ports, 2 HDMI ports, 1 Ethernet port for wired interwebz, SD card reader, and a wireless charger pad for the controller. The GameStick+dock bundle was $109 on Kickstarter, but that ship has sailed, and there's no word on the retail price yet. Probably $120.

(Prototype images.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The GameStick will probably be available in retail stores, and PlayJam's CMO hints at hardware "updates" at some point, probably by simply buying a new stick.

Launches in April.

10. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

doesnt look too bad.

11. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    so how do you get the games with this?

12. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Not bad at all. XD

13. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    the A button goes to the right :glare:

(don't post a pic of a xbox/neo-geo cd controller)
    you will be using this mostly for emulators, and about 70% of them emulate Nintendo consoles

2ndApex and xwatchmanx like this.
  14. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Right, my two cents:
    • Very poor specs. I understand that you can't build a jet out of matches and spit, but a $78 budget should still amount to more than a dual-core Amlogic CPU - the OUYA will retail for only a little bit more and it offers a much, much better CPU, not to mention that in a fight the built-in Mali400 loses againts the Tegra 3's GPU so much that it's not even funny, and the GPU is what we should be interested in in a gaming device.
    • Form factor? Really cool idea. It's a home console that you can take anywhere you want and I'm loving it. Execution? Poor. I like the white stylistic and the buttons as well as the sticks look high-quality but the controller itself just doesn't look very comfortable. Where are the curves, where are the grooves?
    • That docking station is fantastic - I'm loving the idea of connecting every non-essential perhaptial like USB ports and external memory slots into a convenient station that'll also charge the device proper - good thinking.
    • No touchpad is a bad thing. We all know how often typically "mobile" games feature some extra functionality with on-screen buttons or swipes - the OUYA tries to "fix" the lack of a physical touchscreen with a touchpad which, when used correctly, could be a substitute (not an accurate one so don't count on using it for precise shooting, but a substitute nonetheless - you could still perform basic gestures and assign buttons in the corners or something). No touchpad here - no points.
    Overall? It's a good idea... but needs some improvements, really. I think I'll be leaning towards the OUYA on this one.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  15. Bladexdsl

Australia
    but how does it play games there's no console it actually connects into? it connets to your tv but than what how do you get them games from your tv?

16. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    There's an HDMI connector on one end - you jam that thing into the HDMI slot of your TV and bam - you've got yourself a console. If you need games or you need to update, you just go online via WiFi.

17. Bladexdsl

Australia
    so let me get this straight you need to plug it into a hdmi slot and than hold it with the cord connected from the slot? that means you'll either need a very long hdmi cable or sit really close to the tv...
    [​IMG]

18. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    What are you talking about? There are TWO parts to this, first part is an Android based computer that is completely powered by the HDMI connector, it looks similar to a USB thumb stick. The second part is a WIRELESS gamepad... Notice the word WIRELESS. There is no cord.

19. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
  20. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    I'm still waiting for a console that puts the A button to the bottom, the B button to the left, the X button to the right, and the Y button up top. The most logical formation, in my opinion (id iest, instead of holding 'Y' to run and pressing 'B' to jump, you'll hold 'B' to run, and press 'A' to jump, which is dozens of times more intuitive, IMO).