Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
so let me get this straight you need to plug it into a hdmi slot and than hold it with the cord connected from the slot? that means you'll either need a very long hdmi cable or sit really close to the tv...
The controller is wireless. Look at the second picture in the first post. You see the console (the USB-stick-looking thing), and the controller. They are separate. The controller is wireless. The stick plugs into the TV. The controller connects via Bluetooth.

I probably would just buy one of these guys....
http://dx.com/p/j21-dual-core-android-4-1-google-tv-player-w-wi-fi-1gb-ram-4gb-rom-purple-173098
You would need to spend a bit more to get everything going but the results would probably be a bit better.
It's the same hardware, how would it be better? Do you dislike GameStick's controller?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
whats all this shit plugged into it than? theres a power cable and hdmi cable doesnt look wireless at all
b255gG8.jpg

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
whats all this shit plugged into it than?
A microphone, an SD card, a wireless keyboard, a wireless mouse, a charger, an Ethernet cable, an HDMI extension cable (I think?) and a webcam. :tpi:

What? That's what those are.
Theres a power cable and hdmi cable doesnt look wireless at all
You have to charge it somehow, hence the charger - the set is entirely wireless, this photo just shows what kinds of stuff it's compatible with. Also that's the additional expansion station, not the actual controller.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
whats all this shit plugged into it than? theres a power cable and hdmi cable doesnt look wireless at all
But the mouse and keyboard are wireless ^_^

EDIT: That's the expansion dock, not the gamepad. Instead of plugging the stick into the TV, you can plug it into the dock and then connect the dock to the TV via HDMI, and it gives you extra USB ports and an SD card reader.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, the company behind the console, and the target market.
I've read about the GameStick much, much earlier and I realize what they're trying to do here - it's another Kickstarter project and they're aiming to bring gaming to the masses with an inexpensive gaming device.

There's a problem with this logic though - if you can afford an HDTV, because those are equipped with HDMI inputs, you can probably spend a little more than $78 for a game console - those few dollars could make a world of difference and extend the life of this product quite substantially. If they wanted to go full-on cheapo, they should've used RCA (Cinch). :tpi:

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I've read about the GameStick much, much earlier and I realize what they're trying to do here - it's another Kickstarter project and they're aiming to bring gaming to the masses with an inexpensive gaming device.
Well they've been bringing gaming to the masses with set-top boxes and via internet-enabled TVs, so the GameStick is an expensive powerhouse in comparison.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well they've been bringing gaming to the masses with set-top boxes and via internet-enabled TVs, so the GameStick is an expensive powerhouse in comparison.
I guess it could be a fun thing for mess halls and that kind of places, as long as they offer extra controllers for it. I mean, the users could be 3 or 300, they won't break a console that's in the HDMI slot at the back of the TV at all times and I don't think the controller bit would be all that expensive... :P

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still waiting for a console that puts the A button to the bottom, the B button to the left, the X button to the right, and the Y button up top. The most logical formation, in my opinion (id iest, instead of holding 'Y' to run and pressing 'B' to jump, you'll hold 'B' to run, and press 'A' to jump, which is dozens of times more intuitive, IMO).
say hi to the n64 controller
470891716_5ebceaf3ed_z.jpg

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
b255gG8.jpg

If I'm understanding correctly, the white box is a little hub area that connects wireless with both the HDMI connector and the remote. This hub area seems to be of use for games that require more than just the controller. (Mic for the likes of karaoke, ethernet if you don't receive wireless, mouse and keyboard for various internet based things, even word processing if you feel so inclined. Etc. Etc.

It seems that this part of the system, doesn't even necessarily have to be plugged in, you only use it for when you want to do more than play your straight up emulators and gamepad only games.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I guess it could be a fun thing for mess halls and that kind of places, as long as they offer extra controllers for it.
It supports up to 4 gamepads, and also lets you use your iOS or Android devices as controllers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: leo @'d me in a thread about his last dream, stating he was passionately making out with a guy...