Hacking Swiss announced by emu_kidid - Successor of SD-Boot

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
dronesplitter said:
I thought that too but my microSDHC card with SD adapter reads fine in the front SD slot on the Wii to load apps with HBC, but definitely does not load any apps if I put it in my wiikey sd (gecko) in the memory card slot with HBC. So, reads fine without wiikey for HBC but doesn't with it, not bringing swiss into the picture at all. That's what made me believe the wiikey adapter is not working right for some reason.

sd/sdhc has multiple transfer modes. The only one that gamecube controllers support is spi mode.

spi is optional on microsd/sdhc, so the microsd/sdhc manufacturers have no obligation to support it, therefore most devices don't require it & there is no demand for it.

I'm not going to say that no micro cards support spi, but that might as well be the case.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smf, I take it you mean that there is different transfer mode support in place for the internal SD slot on the wii versus the memory card slots because they are older gamecube hardware? I honestly don't know much about these transfer modes, but if that's true then I need a regular SDHC (not micro) to properly use swiss with the wiikey adapter? Hmmm, well, I'll probably still get a new one just in case. But I also need a new card now, probably.

EDIT: While searching about it some on google, I found this pdf http://www.pqi.com.tw/upload/download/micro%20SD(2).pdf which seems to say pqi supports spi.
My microsdhc card is pqi brand and I use the sdhc adapter that was supplied with it, btw.

wiimanofthenorth

Trophies
XP
Country
smf said:
dronesplitter said:
I thought that too but my microSDHC card with SD adapter reads fine in the front SD slot on the Wii to load apps with HBC, but definitely does not load any apps if I put it in my wiikey sd (gecko) in the memory card slot with HBC. So, reads fine without wiikey for HBC but doesn't with it, not bringing swiss into the picture at all. That's what made me believe the wiikey adapter is not working right for some reason.

sd/sdhc has multiple transfer modes. The only one that gamecube controllers support is spi mode.

spi is optional on microsd/sdhc, so the microsd/sdhc manufacturers have no obligation to support it, therefore most devices don't require it & there is no demand for it.

I'm not going to say that no micro cards support spi, but that might as well be the case.

Erm, I've read that SPI is mandatory for the whole SD family! Hmmm... I wonder...?

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This page seems to confirm it:
http://www.enotes.com/topic/Secure_Digital#Transfer_modes
"All cards must support all three modes, except for microSD where SPI is optional."

However, general searches about it don't come up with very much info confirming that a lot of cards don't support spi. The spec sheet for pqi that I posted does say spi support is there if I read and understood it right, but this is all new to me.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, I am trying to compile swiss on windows 7 64-bit using the compiling tutorial (http://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/wiki/Compiling) but I cant even get past the first part, where you have to use powerpc-eabi-as sd.S -o dvdcode.elf because the powerpc-eabi-as command isn't found. I have reinstalled devkitpro, but I still have the problem. The doltool command is also not found.

tagzard

Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.
Banned
Trophies
Website
tagzard.tk
XP
Country
United States
WHEN WILL IT COME OUT!!!!!! This is a noob question. So this is what it does gamecube wise. Lets it load Gamecube Games from a external harddrive right? If so i will spend so much less money buying the dvd-r mini.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
As has been answered a gazillion times in this thread alone:

it cannot, and will never, load games from a USB hard disk. Only from an IDE one, provided you have a IDE-EXI cable (and these are pretty rare, though I think that if you look around on gc-forever you may find out what's needed to make your own). Or from an SD gecko.

And while in beta, it is released. Check out the downloads here. If you're running it from a wii, you'll also need swiss booter.

(@wiibricker: if you're still reading this...would you mind adding these links to the first post? it would probably save at least a dozen similar questions of peeps who don't read this thread because it's too long)

RODIFIRE

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
what is exacly the IDE-EXI cable? sorry that I have ask a question that have answering in the past
frown.gif

I have a SD gecko memory card on my gamecube how many giga it suport?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
As has been answered a gazillion times in this thread alone:

it cannot, and will never, load games from a USB hard disk. Only from an IDE one, provided you have a IDE-EXI cable (and these are pretty rare, though I think that if you look around on gc-forever you may find out what's needed to make your own). Or from an SD gecko.

And while in beta, it is released. Check out the downloads here. If you're running it from a wii, you'll also need swiss booter.

(@wiibricker: if you're still reading this...would you mind adding these links to the first post? it would probably save at least a dozen similar questions of peeps who don't read this thread because it's too long)

What are the chances of loading off of a USB disk from a USB Gecko? Or is it not possible for the USB Gecko to function as a USB host?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, she is non binary