Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Coto said:
Sc4rFac3d said:
Stupid question but, will this still load GC backups burned to DVD-R if you have the newer Wii Drive? I'm already in possession of a GC SD adapter.

Nop. It will read only original Nintendo discs (in swiss which is, GC mode)
Thanks, so then it'll be only via SD(HC) correct?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Sc4rFac3d said:

Yep. I own a D2E drive which can read backups easily from most loaders, but while in swiss even this drive won't take GC backups. Swiss needs either GC or WII real discs to load dol/elf/iso/etc

I use the authentic DVD wii sports to load gcm files off sd gecko while in swiss (GC mode, again.)

I too had a lot of questions xD, so feel free to ask anything.

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Coto said:
Sc4rFac3d said:

Yep. I own a D2E drive which can read backups easily from most loaders, but while in swiss even this drive won't take GC backups. Swiss needs either GC or WII real discs to load dol/elf/iso/etc

I use the authentic DVD wii sports to load gcm files off sd gecko while in swiss (GC mode, again.)

I too had a lot of questions xD, so feel free to ask anything.
Thanks a ton Coto, I really appreciate it!

I bought a cheap sd memory card adapter for my gamecube but didn't realize it had to be modded as well. So because the Wii is softmodded I will just use the GC mode from there. I'll try to get it working first and play around with it a bit!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a cheap sd memory card adapter for my gamecube but didn't realize it had to be modded as well. So because the Wii is softmodded I will just use the GC mode from there. I'll try to get it working first and play around with it a bit!

Gamecube doesn't need to be modded, you just need a way of booting homebrew. Something like action replay or sd media launcher.
http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/GameCubeWii-SD-Media-Launcher__EF000580.aspx

However you will end up having to swap cards if you want something larger than 4gb & I don't know if the sd media launcher adapter is compatible with swiss.

Wii is easier, it would be even better if the DML SDHC code was incorporated.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Question for anyone who knows: CAN Swiss be used by a backup loader to directly boot a disk image or can it only go to the Swiss menu where the user would have to choose their game manually?
I actually don't even know if a cMIOS does let arguments be passed or anything similar when opening gamecube homebrew or not.

Edit: Never mind. I just found it in the issue list on google code as an enhancement. I assume that the fact that it's still on the list is a sign that it's not an actual feature yet. At least I commented some spur of the moment inspiration about how it could be implemented. Just have to wait, I guess.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you own a wii, DML currently already have that...more or less.

The major USB loaders can already display and run GC games alongside the wii games, so things are also just one click away.

As for your question: keep in mind that this is a two-way thing. Not only does swiss has to be written to run arguments, but Wiipower's swiss booter has to be updated at that time to support that feature as well.

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
what's the difference between swiss, swiss-lz and swiss-lz-viper?
I have the same question.I think that I messed up with the files.I don't know what file to put in Wii's SD card,in Swiis Booter and in SD Gecko.
Can anyone explain please?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

The major USB loaders can already display and run GC games alongside the wii games, so things are also just one click away.

As for your question: keep in mind that this is a two-way thing. Not only does swiss has to be written to run arguments, but Wiipower's swiss booter has to be updated at that time to support that feature as well.
Actually, if swiss is made to look for a autorun config file on startup instead of actually taking arguments swiss-booter wouldn't need any adjustments and it would be a feature that could be somewhat used on the gamecube as well (which, apparently, is what it is really meant for. Emu-kidd says Wii compatibility is just a nice coincidence.)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(small note to others: the above reply started with following question by Maxeternal: CAN Swiss be used by a backup loader to directly boot a disk image or can it only go to the Swiss menu where the user would have to choose their game manually?)

Actually, if swiss is made to look for a autorun config file on startup instead of actually taking arguments swiss-booter wouldn't need any adjustments and it would be a feature that could be somewhat used on the gamecube as well (which, apparently, is what it is really meant for. Emu-kidd says Wii compatibility is just a nice coincidence.)
Yes. I'd say you could leave out the "somewhat". Last time I checked swiss, it still asked questions like whether I wanted to stop the motor, or use the drive with high or low speed. If not for the auto-loading of games, then gamecube users would probably like the idea of not having to answer these questions every friggin' time.

EDIT: I gotta mention I haven't tried r124 yet.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...