Supercard DSTWO Video Player soon

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Oct 14, 2010.

Oct 14, 2010
  1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

As some of you may have read over the past few weeks, I happen to be on a vacation in ShenZhen (China) where all flashcarts -among many other electronic products- are made. Today I've had the chance to meet someone who's been very influential on the flashcart scene for the past few years, namely Romman. He is the sales manager of the Supercard Team, and also the man behind the Supercard DSTWO (he came up with the idea, so he says). I took advantage of the situation and asked him a few questions about the card and the team in general.

The first thing he showed me was the Supercard DSTWO video player. It's not a secret anymore: the iPlayer, slot-1 flashcart dedicated to multimedia and homebrew only, is the Supercard's older sister. It was only a matter of time before the DSTWO's embedded CPU allowed the same video playback capabilities as the iPlayer: DivX, WMV and other formats, all natively played back on the Nintendo DS.
    Romman took a DSi XL/LL out of his pocket and took me by surprise, allowing me to toy around with the video player for about 10 minutes. I got the chance to try multiple videos that he had preloaded on the card. The interface was entirely in Chinese so unfortunately I wasn't able to read much about the options, though as far as I could tell:
    • WMV and AVI files are supported, probably a bunch of other formats too but I didn't get a chance to try them
    • I tried a 640x480 25fps DivX video and it played back perfectly
    • All the videos on the card played back perfectly without slowdowns or stuttering
    • There's a 2 or 3 seconds delay when opening up a video, nothing too bad really.
    Of course the next question is: when will it be released? To me it seemed perfectly enjoyable already, although I didn't get to explore the options/settings at all. Romman said it would probably get relased next week or by the end of the month, though he didn't seem to want to promise anything. That's awesome news for all Supercard DSTWO owners, all the amazing promised features are coming true: GBA emulator, SNES emulator, native DivX player, etc.

There are other exciting news: the Supercard Team has offered to sponsor the Homebrew Bounty in multiple ways. They will be donating amazing prizes and there's a lot more to it, but I can't say too much for now. We'll be working hard on this, and we'll get the Homebrew Bounty started as soon as possible with more exclusive announcements!

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    That's great news [​IMG] I can't wait to try it out.

3. aiRWaLKRe

Member aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Chaosruler

Member Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    Homebrew bounty? maybe this will encourage developers who can use this money, such as Gal

5. RedBaron

Newcomer RedBaron GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Happy Days

6. Maplemage

Member Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Antarctica
    Awesome! cant wait for it to come out!
    Thanks Supercard team!

7. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Sounds a bit disappointing if it's going to be an exact copy of the iPlayer's video player as it seems to sound as so far.
    If so, why they didn't include it right from the start is beyond me. Hopefully they'll shock us and bring some more compatibility such as mkv playback with subtitles working.

8. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    The Supercard DSTWO is finally close to completion....though since I've gotten my card I've gotten an iphone and psp which handles my music/videos/emulators.....but it would be nice to clear some pace on the devices by moving my iphone's video and my psp's emulators to my DS. Can't wait.

9. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    the old geniuses strike back with something special once again... great work and good to have u back.
    If supercard can pull this off for the 3ds by the end of next year, (although an inbuilt CPU would not be needed) tht would be amazing

PS - "The interface was entirely in Chinese so unfortunately I wasn't able to read much about the options"
    ur not originally from china?

10. Chaosruler

Member Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    I am yet to be suprised that the Supercard DSTwo did not damage my system as it requires more power then the system itself, maybe it's a good built by itself (both NDSL and Supercard DSTwo), but don't expect the Supercard DSTwo to hold longer on the 3DS (assuming both systems are with new battery handled carefully), since the 3DS aims to the battery lifetime of DSi it should have between 9 and 14 hours of gameplay varrying on brightness settings, volume and WiFi activity, since the 3DS will require more power, possibly more then the Supercard DSTwo, the power consumption compared to the battery lifetime is slightly smaller, however it still requires much more power then a simple 3DS ROM (this is an assumption alone based on previous upgrades between Nintendo cartridges), the Supercard DSTwo won't be as save of cash for its capability to run DS Mode (if it's possible) on the 3DS as well as DS and DSi, since the 3DS offers a movie player, sound player and Gameboy ported (possibly gameboy advance, we are yet to know) virtual console

Just want to point it out

11. SixtySixHundred

Member SixtySixHundred GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I love the way you choose your holiday destinations! That's true dedication, going on holiday to visit factories! [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm really stoked with this news. The SC team have never done anything but impress me, and even though I probably won't use the video player very often, it's good to know it's possible. I wouldn't be at all surprised if, when the video player is released, we get a GBA and SNES emulator update too.

12. dekuleon

Member dekuleon GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I just want akaio 1.8 for my AK 2.1 :/

btw, this SCDS2 is amaaazing. Loved it!

13. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    That's exactly what I thought too [​IMG]

It's good to here, soon I won't be converting anime for my ipod. [​IMG]

14. kyste

Newcomer kyste Member

France
    First, updated i-reader plug-in, then this. It's a good day to have a DSTwo.

YEEEEE-HAW! [​IMG]

15. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    hopefully after the release of the video player they can concentrate on improving the emulators

16. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    well can't wait [​IMG]

17. haddad

Member haddad GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    This is great news [​IMG] Can't wait until its released

18. narutopet112

Member narutopet112 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Amazing. I can watch all my bleach, naruto and one piece episodes on dstwo. Great!

19. tajio

Member tajio GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    AWESOME! If it can play other video aswell then it would be ... umm PURE AWESOME!

20. tehnoobshow

Member tehnoobshow GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Awesome....this is amazing news... now the could focus on developing and improving the emulators