Super Mario 64 PC port has been released!

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 159,173
  • Replies 283
  • Likes 33

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Looks like they are in this copy I have. However if they are that basic it should be possible to grab them from the ROM and generate like many other things.
That model in particular you posted is also in the public decompilation repository:

https://github.com/n64decomp/sm64/blob/master/levels/castle_courtyard/areas/1/2/model.inc.c

Once compiled and built, they are embedded in the binary, even if you compile it for Linux/OpenGL.

I am aware, that's what I was referring to, unless the people who made the port have extensively modified the game to be able to load models and textures at runtime.

Well, if the assets aren't included with the decomp, then I'd say it's a safe bet.
They aren't included in the decomp but you need them to build the game, unless you've done extensive modifications to it to be able to load it externally.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wow, some people really do some incredible things. Hope someone manages to make a nice level editor for this.

This makes me wish all source code for every abandoned/cancelled/obsolete software would be released and freely available for everyone so those devoted enough can make something out of it.

I wish copyright terms weren't so long, if they were 25 or 30 years sm64 would be close to entering the public domain by now.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish copyright terms weren't so long, if they were 25 or 30 years sm64 would be close to entering the public domain by now.
USA copyright might be extending again in 2023 to meet the Mickey Mouse Curve.
https://alj.artrepreneur.com/mickey-mouse-keeps-changing-copyright-law/
Mickey-Mouse-Curve-1-e1451928012325.png

Last edited by zfreeman,

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does anyone know how to assign controls to a keyboard or ps3 controller with this?
Edit the configuration file to change the keys.
To use a PS3 controller on Windows, use SCPToolkit. On Linux, it should just work (if not, change the SDL controller configuration).
It emulates a keyboard, which means the analog sticks only work in 8 directions if you use it.

Reactions: Kioku

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
USA copyright might be extending again in 2023 to meet the Mickey Mouse Curve.
https://alj.artrepreneur.com/mickey-mouse-keeps-changing-copyright-law/
Mickey-Mouse-Curve-1-e1451928012325.png
While I would not be surprised in the slightest to see them try they did try a few years back before we started getting new public domain content again. The EFF, creative commons and all are likely spoiling for a fight right now, and will be the first to say it was not all together back when the Sonny Bono thing was shoved through.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...ot-planning-another-copyright-extension-push/

Reactions: zfreeman

Ecchi95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's my belief that software should enter the public domain after only 10 years.

(When they start a new project derived from it, that's a separate copyright that starts again. SM64DS, OoT3D, etc.)

But the copyright for a single project should only be 10 years in my opinion. They were able to do SM64DS within that timeframe.

DD2XAlpha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is this illegal to download? hahahaha I thought reverse engineering a software like for example a bios of a console and then rewrite it and make it public was legal because it doesn't contain any code wrote by the original owners, for example ReactOS that can run Windows programs

D

Deleted User

OP
Is this illegal to download? hahahaha I thought reverse engineering a software like for example a bios of a console and then rewrite it and make it public was legal because it doesn't contain any code wrote by the original owners, for example ReactOS that can run Windows programs
It appears that some copyrighted material is mixed in the files.

Reactions: DD2XAlpha

AvesAvi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works super well. I'm sure because of the nature of this that development isn't going to be very steady, but where would we go to see if any kind of updates have been released?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its very simple. Below the page, you will find an option to see the list of staff members.