Super Mario 64 PC port has been released!

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 159,038
  • Replies 283
  • Likes 33

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
A lot of people are confused it seems, this is not emulated, it's running native on PC. Right now it works perfectly in widescreen (you can cap the frame-rate with RivaTuner or you GPU control panel) and up to 4k. Xinput controller works out of the box too, waiting for a high-res UI, save states and options menu for FPS, Resolutions and controls and it's just a perfect N64 remaster.
I would love to see a 3DS port tbh ! :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They can't play with the fact they released the game on Wii on the VC for exemple ?
That has no real relevance in patents. That would only really come into play if someone being sued by Nintendo wanted to claim they abandoned their property (something Nintendo knows all too well -- their Kirby character was named for a lawyer defending them when the theoretical owners of King Kong came knocking about Donkey Kong and the final court result noted king kong and kong were used by all sorts in the general public).
Likewise most places in the world consider software patents an utter abomination (short version is software is maths and you can't patent maths, the US and Japan somehow manage anyway and it generally makes a big mess) so you also have that to worry about.

If Nintendo were to reach out then they have a 5000 times easier case just about anywhere in the world going after either trademark (I imagine they still have the trademark for Super Mario 64, certainly for Mario) for while you and I know this is as likely to be an official Nintendo product as Nintendo turning around tomorrow saying "all good there lads, here have a million to give it a spit and polish up for release" the "typical consumer" may not. You are also somewhat obliged to defend your trademarks, hence most of the takedowns of fan projects we see from them and most of the wording in the video footage/let's play agreements.

Alternatively I would hate to see what decompiled code like this counts as in court but it is not like don't still own the copyright to the models, music, levels, animations, probably actions/play style... and can happily say this was made from at least a derived work of our original work.

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have the feeling that having the binaries be released before the source code is risky.

Reactions: IC_

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have the feeling that having the binaries be released before the source code is risky.
I doubt we'll have the source for the port specifically until the project is considered complete, or maybe even ever.
Releasing the source right now would mean more proof for Nintendo that they're using copywritten material, and although they obviously are, the less proofs against 'em is the safest for the project and for them.
Also, if you're worried about viruses, you can check the executable with VirusTotal.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also, if you're worried about viruses, you can check the executable with VirusTotal.

Because people capable of translating decompiled "this is our first go on new hardware" code to modern PC compatible code could not dodge something as simple as virustotal?

Normally I hate make disclaimers but what they hey. I have not seen this program, and indeed have no more info than what is on this thread already. Nobody has suggested it is a dodgy file, much less given reason to suspect it from what I have seen.

That said I imagine the reason for not dropping code right now is probably more desire to not create 5000 forks immediately when stuff is still to be done.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Because people capable of translating decompiled "this is our first go on new hardware" code to modern PC compatible code could not dodge something as simple as virustotal?

Normally I hate make disclaimers but what they hey. I have not seen this program, and indeed have no more info than what is on this thread already. Nobody has suggested it is a dodgy file, much less given reason to suspect it from what I have seen.

That said I imagine the reason for not dropping code right now is probably more desire to not create 5000 forks immediately when stuff is still to be done.
I've seen claims in spanish forums that the program makes some "dodgy calls" on the system and that it has virus.
My reply is to someone who speaks spanish natively so that's why I'm making that assumption.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The debug symbols are still in the exe, so it shouldn't be too hard to see if it contains malware.
Schermata da 2020-05-04 05-27-33.png

Last edited by nastys,
Reactions: E1ite007

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)