Steam Deck and Aya Neo Pro

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m mainly interested In one of the two above listed products for emulation. Every page I’ve read has stated the Steam Deck is clearly more powerful, yet it’s significantly cheaper.

What’s the reason why? Is Valve willing to take a significant bath on the hardware because of software potential?

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Valve is basically subsidizing the growth of PC gaming at a time when GPUs are extremely pricey, yeah. They're taking a loss on the hardware. Only question mark if you don't already have a reservation is availability, it'd likely be November-December to ship at the very earliest now, maybe even into next year. I imagine Aya Neo products will be much more widely available for a while, but I doubt they'll fall in price much, if at all.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m mainly interested In one of the two above listed products for emulation. Every page I’ve read has stated the Steam Deck is clearly more powerful, yet it’s significantly cheaper.

What’s the reason why? Is Valve willing to take a significant bath on the hardware because of software potential?
Yes … seeing I bought 100x more games on steam then before it was announced

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Kind of obvious : they make it easier to game, and they make sure it's optimized for their store. Chances are high that buyers will buy more steam games... Even those just wanting emulation.

Not shipping with windows is also a factor, albeit a small one.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valve is basically subsidizing the growth of PC gaming at a time when GPUs are extremely pricey, yeah. They're taking a loss on the hardware. Only question mark if you don't already have a reservation is availability, it'd likely be November-December to ship at the very earliest now, maybe even into next year. I imagine Aya Neo products will be much more widely available for a while, but I doubt they'll fall in price much, if at all.
For Dolphin, the ps3 emulator and original xbox emulators is the extra processing power likely to make a substantial difference in terms of performance?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
For Dolphin, the ps3 emulator and original xbox emulators is the extra processing power likely to make a substantial difference in terms of performance?
Yep, in raw performance it's about 40% more powerful, though in real-world applications it might only see a 20% boost or so. Then again who knows, the high-bandwidth DDR5 memory in the Steam Deck might make an even bigger difference than I'm giving it credit for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it