Steam Deck or Aya Neo (Or something else)?

What would you do in my situation?

• Wait a year or longer for the Steam Deck

Votes: 37 88.1%
  • Buy the Aya Neo

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Buy something else

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
From the convo, we were having I would never compare the steam deck with rtx 3080 laptop.
Of course you wouldn't, you're pissed that you wasted so much money on what is essentially a paperweight when not tethered to a power outlet. That doesn't stop me from mocking you for it.

You are an idiot and yes steam deck is a pathetic device primarily built for low income background people like yourself, who can't afford a decent pc.
My GTX 1080Ti still plays games at 1440p max settings just fine, thank you. If I'm gonna bother getting an RTX 3000 card at all, it sure as shit isn't gonna be for 3x MSRP during a chip shortage. Overpaying for stuff is not something to be proud of.

teamlocust

Trophies
XP
Country
India
@Xzi
Rtx 3080 laptop may be overpriced for you certainly not for me.
I definitely did not pay 3x for it.
Don't assume things simply because you can't afford it.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steamdeck all the way IMO, with those standardized specs developers will likely target them as a baseline just like they would a console. PC developer can look at the install base and optimize to them and probably will.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Rtx 3080 laptop may be overpriced for you certainly not for me.
Gaming laptops are always overpriced. Even if you're a trust fund kid, that's money which could've been better spent elsewhere. For example: buying a desktop RTX 3080 and a Steam Deck, and still coming in at a lower total than what you spent on the laptop. But yes, ultimately you're free to piss away your money on whatever you want, just don't get butthurt when others decide to spend more wisely.

teamlocust

Trophies
XP
Country
India
@Xzi
Ah getting butthurt from a person talking abt a piece of plastic worth 700 usd.. yeah right. I understand life must be hard for you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@SG854
Nice!! Keep editing and rearranging to your heart's content.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steamdeck all the way IMO, with those standardized specs developers will likely target them as a baseline just like they would a console. PC developer can look at the install base and optimize to them and probably will.
I heavily doubt devs would target the Steam Deck as a baseline. It's PC gaming, since when was there some sort of specs baseline for anything? Plus, I doubt it'll get big enough to make it very influential. It seems to just target a specific niche for PC gaming on the go.

Reactions: teamlocust and Xzi

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heavily doubt devs would target the Steam Deck as a baseline. It's PC gaming, since when was there some sort of specs baseline for anything? Plus, I doubt it'll get big enough to make it very influential. It seems to just target a specific niche for PC gaming on the go.

Major PC devs have always looked at the market in the modern era and made sure there stuff was optimized for the most common cards. Classic Blizzard was notorious for this practice. If they see a user base they are going to make sure they can sell to the base.

Reactions: hippy dave

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

Its not standardized the same way a Switch is. PC games aren't optimized for the speed of the expandable storage on steam deck like the switch. And there's too many competition from other PC portables to be targeted for standardization.

Last edited by SG854,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ah getting butthurt from a person talking abt a piece of plastic worth 700 usd.. yeah right. I understand life must be hard for you.
Where the hell are you getting $700 from? The base model of Steam Deck is $400, which is less than half the price of most portable PCs. Again, you seem to be angry that Valve would dare release a device with such a great price-to-performance ratio after you already blew your wad on a less-portable gaming solution, but guess what? The world doesn't revolve around you.

Yeah a big draw for developers is that they don't have to specifically optimize games for Steam Deck, AMD APUs are pretty much the same thing in use for PS5/XSX. Albeit more powerful ones of course, but that's what scaling graphics settings are for.

Last edited by Xzi,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Where the hell are you getting $700 from? The base model of Steam Deck is $400, which is less than half the price of most portable PCs. Again, you seem to be angry that Valve would dare release a device with such a great price-to-performance ratio after you already blew your wad on a less-portable gaming solution, but guess what? The world doesn't revolve around you.

Yeah a big draw for developers is that they don't have to specifically optimize games for Steam Deck, AMD APUs are pretty much the same thing in use for PS5/XSX. Albeit more powerful ones of course, but that's what scaling graphics settings are for.
There's two major players in the GPU market and games arent well optimized for one specific hardware so PC's have to brute force their way to perfromance. Consoles are better optimized specifically for their hardware. And Nvdia are still the most popular brand and not all have a rdna2 card or a amd cpu, many have a intel cpu.

Last edited by SG854,

teamlocust

Trophies
XP
Country
India
@Xzi
Ok so you can't even afford the nvme version of the steam deck.
Ok let me rephrase then,lol getting butthurt by a person talking abt a piece of plastic worth 400 usd.

Last edited by teamlocust,

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Major PC devs have always looked at the market in the modern era and made sure there stuff was optimized for the most common cards. Classic Blizzard was notorious for this practice. If they see a user base they are going to make sure they can sell to the base.
PC hardware is always changing and growing stronger every year. With more technological advancements, the heavier games can potentially be. The Steam Deck can't upgrade its specs (outside of storage), so it'll stay at that level for the rest of its lifespan. Devs won't stay put on something like the Steam Deck, especially as it most likely wouldn't be as big as you may think it'll be in its influence.
But here's the thing with PC gaming, people can have more options to change graphical settings. Because it's a lot more flexible with PC gaming, there's kind of no "baseline" to work with considering minimum specs are just whatever the devs think and/or tested hardware where the game is playable and not too bad to look at. And considering that the Steam Deck's screen resolution is just 1280x800, it doesn't need to go full HD 1080p resolutions and can play practically any AAA games just fine, albeit at lower settings.
Its not standardized the same way a Switch is. PC games aren't optimized for the speed of the expandable storage on steam deck like the switch. And there's too many competition from other PC portables to be targeted for standardization.
That is true, too. The difference with Switch ports of games is that the games are ported with Switch hardware in mind. Its limitations and all that. AND just for one platform.
That's basically it, yeah. There's no "baseline" technically and any PC gamer can adjust whatever graphical settings they want (with the available options a game has and more).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
FFS, this thread is about the NEO vs the Steam Deck for this specific user, not for you all to waggle your little epeens around about wasting money on a "3080 laptop" or making baseless claims about a device that's not even out yet.

Cry all you like, but take it to PMs at this point.

@OP, I think it's been established at this point that the Steam Deck is a better value if you can wait the year or potentially longer to spend the money, otherwise look at the Neo/GPD Win 3/OneXPlayer if you want something right now. Or save the money for something better that I'm sure will be announced by the time the Steam Deck ships.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC hardware is always changing and growing stronger every year. With more technological advancements, the heavier games can potentially be. The Steam Deck can't upgrade its specs (outside of storage), so it'll stay at that level for the rest of its lifespan. Devs won't stay put on something like the Steam Deck, especially as it most likely wouldn't be as big as you may think it'll be in its influence.

And most games still run fine on 5 year old hardware and any decent modern game scans hardware and optimizes settings for you, no reason they wont throw Steamdeck in the .ini and valve wont be nudging them to do so. There is a reason "Plays best on Nvidia" splash screens were a thing for a decade, because hardware companies absolutely will do things to incentivize a game to run on their hardware.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Consoles are better optimized specifically for their hardware.
Sure, but we're well past the point when there were clear dividing lines between PC and console hardware/architecture. PS5/XSX are simply gaming PCs with more restrictive OSes/firmware, and XSX is even just running a modified version of Windows 10. Hell, I'm guessing a lot of XSX/XB1 games use Vulkan for their graphics API, same thing Steam Deck will be using (via Proton).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Sure, but we're well past the point when there were clear dividing lines between PC and console hardware/architecture. PS5/XSX are simply gaming PCs with more restrictive OSes/firmware, and XSX is even just running a modified version of Windows 10. Hell, I'm guessing a lot of XSX/XB1 games use Vulkan for their graphics API, same thing Steam Deck will be using (via Proton).
The Sexbox only supports DX12, much like the Xboner before it. The PS5 still uses the same proprietary API that's partially OpenGL that Sony has been using for years now. The only console that actually has Vulkan support, funnily enough, is the Switch...but most devs don't use it, because whatever Nintendo's proprietary API is provides lower level access to the hardware.

So no, that won't make any difference whatsoever for the Steam Deck. Quite frankly I don't expect the Steam Deck to change much of anything at all when it comes to PC gaming and dev support and any such nonsense, because even with Valve's excellent price to performance the Steam Deck will still be a niche device. I'd be surprised if even manage to break a million units before it's either abandoned or something better comes along.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main thing that I want is that developers may finally have a real incentive to put more anti-cheat support on Linux. Because, at this point, it's fucking pathetic. It's the only reason I haven't switched over to Linux.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Sexbox only supports DX12, much like the Xboner before it. The PS5 still uses the same proprietary API that's partially OpenGL that Sony has been using for years now. The only console that actually has Vulkan support, funnily enough, is the Switch...but most devs don't use it, because whatever Nintendo's proprietary API is provides lower level access to the hardware.
Ah, fair enough. Thankfully Proton as a translation layer works just as well for DX12/OpenGL, or of course there's the option of just installing Windows to access those APIs directly.

Quite frankly I don't expect the Steam Deck to change much of anything at all when it comes to PC gaming and dev support and any such nonsense
Me neither, but that's because Valve has basically stated as much. Their pitch to developers is that games on Steam will just work on Steam Deck without a huge time commitment to optimizing for that device specifically. Those developers that do want to ensure the smoothest experience possible can still do that of course, but it's by no means a requirement, so they'll probably be few and far between.

I'd be surprised if even manage to break a million units before it's either abandoned or something better comes along.
I don't see them abandoning Steam Deck any time soon, as its OS will be replacing the current big picture mode in Steam. So that will continue to be iterated on for some time. I don't think Valve is too concerned with sales numbers here either, as they're no doubt taking a loss on all but maybe the top tier SKU.

As far as "something better" goes, I think that'll be difficult to pull off. At least if we're talking about being better in every category: price, performance, portability, battery life. Valve are trying to encourage other manufacturers and brands to extend into this space, but at the same time they aren't making it easy by pricing Steam Deck so aggressively and including so many "premium" features at that price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple