Hacking Question Splitting NSP files for FAT32

Oracleofire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both exFAT and FAT32 have about the same chances of corruption, but unlike exFAT, FAT32 has a a way of preventing data loss after a corruption. Its currently impossible to avoid corruption and subsequently data loss on an exFAT formatted SD card so stick to FAT32 if you're extremely worried.

Ah, thanks, really good to know. I think i'm gonna stick to exFAT but I will start backing up my card to an external hdd. You probably saved my future ass :P

Naguz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This Larger than 4GB games gets auto-split on SD install, even if the target SD card is formatted as exfat, so that if for some reason, you do decide to downgrade to a 32GB FAT32 card, the game will still work.
This is simply untrue, I have several .nca files bigger than 4GB after installing games to my exfat formatted card. Thanks though, for stating a falsehood without any reservation, otherwise I would have missed the fun in copying 46GBs from my sd card, formatting it to FAT32, and then getting fails when copying files back because they are too big.

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is simply untrue, I have several .nca files bigger than 4GB after installing games to my exfat formatted card. Thanks though, for stating a falsehood without any reservation, otherwise I would have missed the fun in copying 46GBs from my sd card, formatting it to FAT32, and then getting fails when copying files back because they are too big.
What? Could you provite a screenshot of anything inside the SD:\Nintendo\ folder that is bigger than 4 GB?
I unpacked the NSP of Worms W.M.D (a game over 4 GB) with hactool on PC and it still had a NCA file bigger than 4 GB but I installed it on an exFAT mSD (local install, not network install) and copied it over to my FAT32 card afterwards so no problems there.
So provide us screenshot and if possible tell us even for which game your story happened.

Naguz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What? Could you provite a screenshot of anything inside the SD:\Nintendo\ folder that is bigger than 4 GB?
I unpacked the NSP of Worms W.M.D (a game over 4 GB) with hactool on PC and it still had a NCA file bigger than 4 GB but I installed it on an exFAT mSD (local install, not network install) and copied it over to my FAT32 card afterwards so no problems there.
So provide us screenshot and if possible tell us even for which game your story happened.
I have several games that have several files above 4GB, although i am not sure which, as they have arbitrary hexademical folder names in the nintendo resources folder. Looking at it, the files are split at 4,3GB. So I guess he must have been meaning 4GiB, as the FAT32 limit is 4,3GB. I thought Microsoft were the only ones who hadn't gotten their numbers right by now. (JK, most people just interchange them, should really have thought about that, but didn't look to closely on the file sizes). Then my copy problem on a >4GB file must have been because of something else, perhaps my card is simply going bad. Oh well, guess a sorry to caitsith2 is in order. :P

Last edited by Naguz,
Reactions: lordelan

Conex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hover is the first game I can't install extracted with tinfoil as the main NCA is over the file size limit. network install it is but damn, slow haha

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have several games that have several files above 4GB, although i am not sure which, as they have arbitrary hexademical folder names in the nintendo resources folder. Looking at it, the files are split at 4,3GB. So I guess he must have been meaning 4GiB, as the FAT32 limit is 4,3GB. I thought Microsoft were the only ones who hadn't gotten their numbers right by now. (JK, most people just interchange them, should really have thought about that, but didn't look to closely on the file sizes). Then my copy problem on a >4GB file must have been because of something else, perhaps my card is simply going bad. Oh well, guess a sorry to caitsith2 is in order. :P
FAT32 limit on Windows is definitely 4GB. I didn't know that the actual limit was higher. Maybe @lordelan wasn't using Windows?
Both exFAT and FAT32 have about the same chances of corruption, but unlike exFAT, FAT32 has a a way of preventing data loss after a corruption. Its currently impossible to avoid corruption and subsequently data loss on an exFAT formatted SD card so stick to FAT32 if you're extremely worried.
First I've heard of that, can you elaborate? FAT32 definitely doesn't use journaling or anything like that.

Naguz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
FAT32 limit on Windows is definitely 4GB. I didn't know that the actual limit was higher. Maybe @lordelan wasn't using Windows?
The limit on FAT32 is 4GiB, not 4GB. Windows is the only OS that still erroneously labels GiBs as GBs. Even IEC, who made the bad declension of misusing SI-prefixes for binary 1024 multiples, realized it was idiotic and changed their own standard way back in 1999. Giga=10^9 though, whatever Windows chooses to mislabel 2^30 as.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The limit on FAT32 is 4GiB, not 4GB. Windows is the only OS that still erroneously labels GiBs as GBs. Even IEC, who made the bad declension of misusing SI-prefixes for binary 1024 multiples, realized it was idiotic and changed their own standard way back in 1999. Giga=10^9 though, whatever Windows chooses to mislabel 2^30 as.
I don't care, I'm gonna keep calling it GB. HDD manufacturers can fuck off with their misleading labeling.

Reactions: hippy dave

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care, I'm gonna keep calling it GB. HDD manufacturers can fuck off with their misleading labeling.
Except the HDD manufacture's are the one labeling it correctly. Kilo, Mega, Giga, and Tera have always been powers of 10, and the HDD manufacturer's label it appropriately. Bitch at Microsoft for causing so much confusion and being too stubborn to correct it.

Reactions: Naguz

Naguz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, it's not MS that's wrong, it's Apple, Google, the whole open source linux community, the International Standarization Organization AND IEC and JEDEC, the two organizations that mistakenly misused SI prefixes to be powers of 2 in the first places, and changed their minds a whopping 19 years ago. And it's all a conspiracy that the HDD manufacturers that secretly rules the world along with the Illuminati is behind. :lol:
The word/prefix giga has a meaning. Deal with it or not.

Granted, most people uses GB instead if GiB because it's easier, if your OS mistakenly mixes them up. Of course people don't bother to calculate the correct size in GB, or care to ad the extra i. That's fully understandable, and to be expected. But actually claiming it to be correct and concocting a conspiracy theory to support it, that's rich.

Last edited by Naguz,

Khar00f

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do you guys install NSP files bigger than 4 GB on FAT32 cards?
Don't tell me all of you are using exFat. :P

If you still need to do this as I encountered that issue today.

You can use this tool:

https://www.maxconsole.com/threads/switch-release-splitnsp-v1-01-by-analogman.48747/

I was able to split two NSP's but I didn't try and install them yet.

In the description it says to install using tinfoil, I'm going to try with SX OS first if that doesn't work I'm going to try with dOPUS (has been removed from release for now but I grabbed it when it was still available) as it uses tinfoil's code and if that fails, I'll try tinfoil last.

Hope that helps,

Reactions: focusonme

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, it seems that dtapple disabled others posting on their profile, they might be going...