Hacking Question Splitting NSP files for FAT32

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still 4+GB .nca wouldn't be able install to fat32
Before I used EXFAT on my main 256GB microSD card, I had a spare 64GB card formatted as EXFAT and installed larger NSPs to it, then copied the newly-created folder in '/Nintendo/Contents/registered' to my main SD Card. Even though the EXFAT microSD card can handle large file sizes, the Switch still splits the 4GB+ NCA files into 4GB chunks ('00', '01', '02', etc) inside the NCA folder.

Reactions: Ty_

jmulc67

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I used EXFAT on my main 256GB microSD card, I had a spare 64GB card formatted as EXFAT and installed larger NSPs to it, then copied the newly-created folder in '/Nintendo/Contents/registered' to my main SD Card. Even though the EXFAT microSD card can handle large file sizes, the Switch still splits the 4GB+ NCA files into 4GB chunks ('00', '01', '02', etc) inside the NCA folder.

I just did this and the games don't seem to be appearing- still says I need to redownload from cloud. Any chance I'm missing something? moved both registered and placehld folders

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did this and the games don't seem to be appearing- still says I need to redownload from cloud. Any chance I'm missing something? moved both registered and placehld folders
1) Did you copy via FTP or copy-paste on a computer?

2) In NXShell, does the .nca appear as a file or a folder with 2-4 files without extensions?

3) What CFW are you using?

Worst-case scenario, just download from the cloud, but ONLY if you are already banned. Doing this with a game you don't own will cause an instant console ban (eShop and online play only; CDN should still be okay)

jmulc67

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Did you copy via FTP or copy-paste on a computer?

2) In NXShell, does the .nca appear as a file or a folder with 2-4 files without extensions?

3) What CFW are you using?

Worst-case scenario, just download from the cloud, but ONLY if you are already banned. Doing this with a game you don't own will cause an instant console ban (eShop and online play only; CDN should still be okay)

1)via computer
2)appears as folder
3)SX OS

I see the files there, but it is just not recognizing them. I don't believe I'm missing any files. I've tried multiple times.

Would FTP be the solution?
I'm not already banned so I would like to avoid this. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by jmulc67,

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1)via computer
2)appears as folder
3)SX OS

I see the files there, but it is just not recognizing them. I don't believe I'm missing any files. I've tried multiple times.

Would FTP be the solution?
I'm not already banned so I would like to avoid this. Thanks for your help!
Odd... I am using SX OS as well. I doubt it would make a difference, but I use DevMenu for nsp installation.

If you still have access to the nsp file(s), try installing with the exFAT microSD card.
If you need to make room, delete the files you attempted to copy over. If you still don't have enough room, copy a large folder that isn't having issues to your PC and copy it back to the microsdafter installing.

I would HIGHLY recommend against FTP with exFAT due to corruption issues (exFAT support isn't/can't be implemented).

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Exfat?
50f9c4ebeb320cfb0b7f5d54fe0aa48b.jpg

Enviado desde mi LG-X240 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In the RetroArch libnx thread they keep sayin' that exFat usage is corrupting your SD over time so we should stick to Fat32.
So I still want to split NSP files or convert them into XCI files. Is there any way?

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Given the fact that installed games are separated into chunks smaller than 4 GB even if the complete game is larger than 4 GB does anybody know if I can use another SD card (exFAT) to install a game there and then copy it over to my first SD card (FAT32) with the PC?
Or is there some kind of database of all installed games on each SD so I can only use one "actively"?

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given the fact that installed games are separated into chunks smaller than 4 GB even if the complete game is larger than 4 GB does anybody know if I can use another SD card (exFAT) to install a game there and then copy it over to my first SD card (FAT32) with the PC?
Or is there some kind of database of all installed games on each SD so I can only use one "actively"?
it seems like it would work. copy all files from the exfat card to a fat32 card after you've installed it. i don't see why not, unless some of those files are too large for fat32.

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
unless some of those files are too large for fat32.
There are no files larger than 4 GB (for already installed games) as Nintendo officially supports FAT32.
i don't see why not
Because it might be the case that there's a library file on each SD which contains all installed games.
If I would copy everything from a second card (exFAT) to my primary card (FAT32) this file, wherever it is and whatever it is called, might be overwritten to now only list what I had on the exFAT card so my other games would disappear from the home menu.
That's why I'm asking if anyone ever tried that before I got and buy myself an exFAT card for that. :)

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would love to know too especially since would like to install nps on my system itself. Even though I may update my 2.0.0 Switch when Pokémon Comes.
(my Switch is on the list of not updating, downgrade then upgrade again so I'm being careful since I do eventually want permanent cfw)

Last edited by qaz015393,

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Something else came to my mind. Isn't Tinfoil able to install extracted games as well?
If we extract a (larger than 4 GB) NSP with hactool it might contain NCA files which are not bigger than 4 GB if we're lucky. Then we can install them with Tinfoil.
Gonna try that with Worms W.M.D today when I'm home.

DannyDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

Sorry for being stupid, but what is the proper way to install NSP on a exFAT card, if my Switch doesn't have required driver?

Thx in advance!

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tin Foil has a network install that allows you to install large NSPs over wifi. You can also extract the NSP, but some games will still have larger than 4GB NCA files. FreeShop is also an option for the next couple hours before 6.0.0 rolls out, if you don't care about the ban risk associated with it. You could use a backup exFAT microSD and install to NAND (or install to SD then copy the proper folder to your FAT32 card). I've been using fat32 on my 256GB for a long time. FAT32 is necessary for RetroNX, Lakka, and general stability when using homebrew apps.

Reactions: DannyDeluxe

Oracleofire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You upgrade to 5.1.0, and then format your card to exFAT. There's literally no reasons not to.
I've read here that exFAT has a higher chance of corrupting than FAT32. Do you know if the difference is much greater or only barely? My card is exFAT so i'm kind of worried.

Reactions: PeterMount

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read here that exFAT has a higher chance of corrupting than FAT32. Do you know if the difference is much greater or only barely? My card is exFAT so i'm kind of worried.
Both exFAT and FAT32 have about the same chances of corruption, but unlike exFAT, FAT32 has a a way of preventing data loss after a corruption. Its currently impossible to avoid corruption and subsequently data loss on an exFAT formatted SD card so stick to FAT32 if you're extremely worried.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk