Sony Europe fined £250,000 for 2011 PlayStation Network hacking

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ComeTurismO, Jan 24, 2013.

1. ComeTurismO
    OP

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    Guys, remember when PSN wasn't working for a while back in 2011? When it was hacked? Sony Europe was fined for keeping its customers at 'unnecessary risk'. Well this sucks, for Sony. It wasn't THEIR fault, at all.
    :arrow: Source

2. BowlOfSpiders

Member BowlOfSpiders hi

United States
    In all fairness they had ample time to secure their customer's data. £250,000 is quite an amount to pay for this, though.

mrnintendo15 likes this.
  3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    sadly, £250k is pocket change to them. I wish they were fined much more, it's a shame they weren't.

the irony is sony are trying to appeal this case, just pay up and take your cod liver oil like the scum you are, sony really think they are gods when they are clearly not, finally we get some justice but it's not good enough punishment imo.

heartgold likes this.
  4. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    bad karma doesn't leave you.
    by the way can you sue them for the rings of death on the ps3 and the definite 2 year lifetime of the ps2. also, my sony hdtv is showing black screen because I think sony wants me to change it now.

5. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Yeah, the fine isn't high enough...

dj4uk6cjm and jalaneme like this.
  6. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    like I said before, they are untouchable and they know it that's why they get away with such illegal activities all the time (ylod disc read error e.t.c). they are worse than the mafia.

heartgold likes this.
  7. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    For a company as large as Sony, this is basically a slap in the wrist.

Well, okay, that's a bit too far. A slap on the wrist actually stings, even if it's only for a few seconds.

what.

loco365, Qtis, Sicklyboy and 6 others like this.
  8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    That fine is nothing to a corporation of that scale. And it is their fault they had security flaws. It is their responsibility to ensure that any and all personal data they are storing is done so securely, under the Data Protection Act. A very minor penalty for such a serious breach of trust on Sony's part.
    I've had my PS2 for over 10 years, it is still working perfectly. A few buttons on one of the controllers don't work, but the console itself is fine. Ergo, there is not a "definite" two year life time.

9. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    he's talking about the disc read errors the early models used to experience, I lost a few ps2s because of it, recent slims are fine though I've had my current model for 6 years now.

10. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Mine is quite clearly not a recent model, considering I have had it for 10 years. And I know very well that it was a common problem, my point is it was not definite as he claimed.

11. Guild McCommunist
    This message by Guild McCommunist has been removed from public view by GeekyGuy, Jan 24, 2013, Reason: Trolling.
    Jan 24, 2013
  12. ComeTurismO
    OP

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    Sorry, Guild. But YOU as a Staff Member, I don't think you have the right to criticize a member like that. You could have told her in a nicer way how you disagree with that post.

13. Guild McCommunist
    This message by Guild McCommunist has been removed from public view by GeekyGuy, Jan 24, 2013, Reason: Replies to trashed post..
    Jan 24, 2013
  14. Hyro-Sama
    This message by Hyro-Sama has been removed from public view by GeekyGuy, Jan 24, 2013, Reason: Inappropriate language.
    Jan 24, 2013
  15. ComeTurismO
    This message by ComeTurismO has been removed from public view by GeekyGuy, Jan 24, 2013, Reason: Replies to trashed post..
    Jan 24, 2013
  16. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well it's not just that she said something stupid, she said a company that specializes in luxury entertainment is worse than an organization that supports murder, drug dealing, prostitution, and many other horrific acts.

Like I cannot clarify just how mindboggling stupid a claim like that is. I roll my eyes at the typical "Sony sucks" or "Sony hates their customers" or "Sony abuses their customers" garbage, but to compare them to mafia is like claiming EA is literally worse than Hitler. Hitler may have been responsible for the murder of millions but he didn't overprice DLC!

17. Engert
    This message by Engert has been removed from public view by GeekyGuy, Jan 24, 2013, Reason: Inappropriate language.
    Jan 24, 2013
  18. Hyro-Sama
    This message by Hyro-Sama has been removed from public view by GeekyGuy, Jan 24, 2013, Reason: Inappropriate language.
    Jan 24, 2013
  19. Izen

Member Izen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Okay, so millions of people's information was compromised by this hack that was the fault of the corporation who failed to properly secure their servers, and the corporation is fined only £250,000? Are they trying to say that a person's billing address, purchase history, and password is worth less than £1? They only have to pay out pennies for each person they royally boned?

Okay.

20. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Quarter of a million pounds plus covering credit card replacements (yes, Sony offered free-of-charge replacement of all compromised documents as a precaution) and a complete revamp of PSN.

Their own costs greatly surpass the fine they received.

Not sayin' that it's not a small amount of money - it is, they probably should've been fined more. What I'm saying is that it wasn't the only "cost" that hit'em for being sloppy with the network.

Also, YLODs and Disc Read Errors are not exactly issues secretly planned by Sony - they're issues that surfaced in their design that they had to fix in the following revisions of their hardware. Original XBox'es overheated, 360's RROD'ed, Wii's fried their own GPU's, DS Lite's had very frail hinges, 3DS'es had bumpers that scratched their screens - are those also criminal activities or is Sony the only bad guy around here?

Sicklyboy likes this.
  21. AngryGeek416

Member AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Argentina
    This thread should be called "Calling all Nintendo fans"

Joe88 and Foxi4 like this.
  22. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Neutral Gamers. Be fair. B-)

23. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Illegal activities? YLOD isn't an illegal thing.. also they are faaaar much better than the mafia. Don't be stupid.

Guild McCommunist likes this.
  24. AngryGeek416

Member AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Argentina
    I can't judge to much tho, i have that same hate for anything Mircrosoft.

25. Valwin
    This message by Valwin has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jan 25, 2013, Reason: You troll, you ;o; -rp.
    Jan 25, 2013
  26. Foxi4
    This message by Foxi4 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jan 25, 2013, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Jan 25, 2013
  27. chavosaur
    This message by chavosaur has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jan 25, 2013, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Jan 25, 2013
  28. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    This is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

So last year my house got broken into. I fixed the damages and I secured my house so that I wouldnt happen again.
    Then LAST WEEK I got this letter in the mail. The police are fining me for my house being brugled. Luckily its only $10,000.

Taleweaver likes this.
  29. uribemaster

Member uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is a different case though because the stolen property wasn't sony's. It was other peoples'. Just like your example but if the house's stuff was other peoples' borrowed property. They wouldn't care whether or not you got broken into. A lot of them would just want their stuff back or money.