Sony Europe fined £250,000 for 2011 PlayStation Network hacking

ComeTurismO

CTO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys, remember when PSN wasn't working for a while back in 2011? When it was hacked? Sony Europe was fined for keeping its customers at 'unnecessary risk'. Well this sucks, for Sony. It wasn't THEIR fault, at all.
UK regulatory body says Sony "let everybody down" regarding the hack, but the platform holder intends to appeal the ruling.
:arrow: Source

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
sadly, £250k is pocket change to them. I wish they were fined much more, it's a shame they weren't.

the irony is sony are trying to appeal this case, just pay up and take your cod liver oil like the scum you are, sony really think they are gods when they are clearly not, finally we get some justice but it's not good enough punishment imo.

Reactions: heartgold

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
bad karma doesn't leave you.
by the way can you sue them for the rings of death on the ps3 and the definite 2 year lifetime of the ps2. also, my sony hdtv is showing black screen because I think sony wants me to change it now.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
bad karma doesn't leave you.
by the way can you sue them for the rings of death on the ps3 and the definite 2 year lifetime of the ps2. also, my sony hdtv is showing black screen because I think sony wants me to change it now.

like I said before, they are untouchable and they know it that's why they get away with such illegal activities all the time (ylod disc read error e.t.c). they are worse than the mafia.

Reactions: heartgold

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a company as large as Sony, this is basically a slap in the wrist.

Well, okay, that's a bit too far. A slap on the wrist actually stings, even if it's only for a few seconds.

like I said before, they are untouchable and they know it that's why they get away with such illegal activities all the time (ylod disc read error e.t.c). they are worse than the mafia.

what.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That fine is nothing to a corporation of that scale. And it is their fault they had security flaws. It is their responsibility to ensure that any and all personal data they are storing is done so securely, under the Data Protection Act. A very minor penalty for such a serious breach of trust on Sony's part.
the definite 2 year lifetime of the ps2.
I've had my PS2 for over 10 years, it is still working perfectly. A few buttons on one of the controllers don't work, but the console itself is fine. Ergo, there is not a "definite" two year life time.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
That fine is nothing to a corporation of that scale. And it is their fault they had security flaws. It is their responsibility to ensure that any and all personal data they are storing is done so securely, under the Data Protection Act. A very minor penalty for such a serious breach of trust on Sony's part.
I've had my PS2 for over 10 years, it is still working perfectly. A few buttons on one of the controllers don't work, but the console itself is fine. Ergo, there is not a "definite" two year life time.

he's talking about the disc read errors the early models used to experience, I lost a few ps2s because of it, recent slims are fine though I've had my current model for 6 years now.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
he's talking about the disc read errors the early models used to experience, I lost a few ps2s because of it, recent slims are fine though I've had my current model for 6 years now.
Mine is quite clearly not a recent model, considering I have had it for 10 years. And I know very well that it was a common problem, my point is it was not definite as he claimed.

ComeTurismO

CTO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So many things just absolutely hilarious with this post.

1. You're calling Sony "untouchable" in a thread where they were just fined for their mistakes. That's the complete fucking opposite of untouchable. That is very touchable.
  2. You're claiming that they're engaged in "illegal activities"
  3. You're claiming they purposefully enable YLODs and disc read errors
  4. You called them worse than the mafia. The mafia, who murder people compared to a company where maybe a few of their products are a bit shitty or defective.
This is by far the dumbest piece of shit assembled from a mess of words I have read in a long, long time.

Sorry, Guild. But YOU as a Staff Member, I don't think you have the right to criticize a member like that. You could have told her in a nicer way how you disagree with that post.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a lot of respect for the staff of this forum. Sure, she may have said something stupid.. Ah, never mind.

Well it's not just that she said something stupid, she said a company that specializes in luxury entertainment is worse than an organization that supports murder, drug dealing, prostitution, and many other horrific acts.

Like I cannot clarify just how mindboggling stupid a claim like that is. I roll my eyes at the typical "Sony sucks" or "Sony hates their customers" or "Sony abuses their customers" garbage, but to compare them to mafia is like claiming EA is literally worse than Hitler. Hitler may have been responsible for the murder of millions but he didn't overprice DLC!

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so millions of people's information was compromised by this hack that was the fault of the corporation who failed to properly secure their servers, and the corporation is fined only £250,000? Are they trying to say that a person's billing address, purchase history, and password is worth less than £1? They only have to pay out pennies for each person they royally boned?

Okay.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay, so millions of people's information was compromised by this hack that was the fault of the corporation who failed to properly secure their servers, and the corporation is fined only £250,000? Are they trying to say that a person's billing address, purchase history, and password is worth less than £1? They only have to pay out pennies for each person they royally boned?

Okay.
Quarter of a million pounds plus covering credit card replacements (yes, Sony offered free-of-charge replacement of all compromised documents as a precaution) and a complete revamp of PSN.

Their own costs greatly surpass the fine they received.

Not sayin' that it's not a small amount of money - it is, they probably should've been fined more. What I'm saying is that it wasn't the only "cost" that hit'em for being sloppy with the network.

Also, YLODs and Disc Read Errors are not exactly issues secretly planned by Sony - they're issues that surfaced in their design that they had to fix in the following revisions of their hardware. Original XBox'es overheated, 360's RROD'ed, Wii's fried their own GPU's, DS Lite's had very frail hinges, 3DS'es had bumpers that scratched their screens - are those also criminal activities or is Sony the only bad guy around here?

Reactions: Sicklyboy

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Illegal activities? YLOD isn't an illegal thing.. also they are faaaar much better than the mafia. Don't be stupid.

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

So last year my house got broken into. I fixed the damages and I secured my house so that I wouldnt happen again.
Then LAST WEEK I got this letter in the mail. The police are fining me for my house being brugled. Luckily its only $10,000.

Reactions: Taleweaver

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

So last year my house got broken into. I fixed the damages and I secured my house so that I wouldnt happen again.
Then LAST WEEK I got this letter in the mail. The police are fining me for my house being brugled. Luckily its only $10,000.
This is a different case though because the stolen property wasn't sony's. It was other peoples'. Just like your example but if the house's stuff was other peoples' borrowed property. They wouldn't care whether or not you got broken into. A lot of them would just want their stuff back or money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.