Sony Europe fined £250,000 for 2011 PlayStation Network hacking

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what 2 years later the UK government decides that its their job to take action about something thats been fixed? And what exactly were those stolen goods used for? Did anyone actually lost money, or have their information used?

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
bad karma doesn't leave you.
by the way can you sue them for the rings of death on the ps3 and the definite 2 year lifetime of the ps2. also, my sony hdtv is showing black screen because I think sony wants me to change it now.
I've had my PS2 for 9 or 10 years now, it still works fine. Even the controllers still work.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a different case though because the stolen property wasn't sony's. It was other peoples'. Just like your example but if the house's stuff was other peoples' borrowed property. They wouldn't care whether or not you got broken into. A lot of them would just want their stuff back or money.

Technically it wasn't "stolen" just "copied".

D

Deleted_171835

The issue is that the hack occurred because of issues on Sony's part. They stored your shit on plain-text. They didn't do enough to secure the data of their users so it's definitely their fault.

And I'm sure the ICO's investigation into the attack occurred back in 2011. It just took them awhile to reach a verdict.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
hmm... I really hope this time sony has learned their lesson. (treating hackers like animals, even if they'd ignore Sony requests), and the fine is low compared to what credit card numbers and such in terms of money was stolen from PSN clients.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
<snip>

Meh, 250K doesn't cut it IMO, personally, I'd fine 500k

like I said before, they are untouchable and they know it that's why they get away with such illegal activities all the time (ylod disc read error e.t.c). they are worse than the mafia.

So, bad design choices are worse than organized crime? Call the cops, we need to crack down on all those poorly made Chinese android tablets!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmm... I really hope this time sony has learned their lesson. (treating hackers like animals, even if they'd ignore Sony requests), and the fine is low compared to what credit card numbers and such in terms of money was stolen from PSN clients.
Actually, I don't think there was ever any substantiated claim of stolen money or fraudulent use of a credit card associated with a PSN account. If I recall correctly, Sony made a statement explaining that the credit card numbers were encrypted with a random salt (or something like that), meaning that even with the database that had been accessible to the hackers, they didn't have access to actual credit card details. (They could have got PSN passwords, and maybe emails, names etc., but I believe I am correct in saying that it wasn't actually possible for them to get any money).

(But this doesn't change the fact that some personal information was certainly compromised, and that sensitive data was being stored insecurely)

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually, I don't think there was ever any substantiated claim of stolen money or fraudulent use of a credit card associated with a PSN accountN. If I recall correctly, Sony made a statement explaining that the credit card numbers were encrypted with a random salt (or something like that), meaning that even with the database that had been accessible to the hackers, they didn't have access to actual credit card details. (They could have got PSN passwords, and maybe emails, names etc., but I believe I am correct in saying that it wasn't actually possible for them to get any money).

(But this doesn't change the fact that some personal information was certainly compromised, and that sensitive data was being stored insecurely)
None of the leaked CC numbers were ever used, not only because of Sony's efforts but also because the F.B.I stepped in. The "damages" to customers were "zero" and Sony covered CC exchange, at least partially. I think they handled that relatively well - you can't turn back time, but at least you can fix the problem and help your customers deal with it.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About people claiming Sony was innocent in all of this... Sony did actually fire the people in charge of security for the PSN network the month before this and before that they had cut the stuff down terribly. This is why the security was terribly out of date for PSN. Thus the hack in large part was Sony's fault.

When your dealing with that many CC numbers and customer information you have to expect that some one is going to try and break into your servers to get at said CC numbers that's just a fact.

Using some one else's "Break into my house and rob me" analogy, yeah it would be like if your house was filled with billions of dollars and you advertised that you had billions of dollars in your house.... Do you think you could go on vacation and not lock the doors? Leaving the doors unlocked with the whole advertising thing then going on vacation is pretty much what Sony did...

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
A little off topic, but I've had my one and only PS2 since christmas 2002, never stopped working. The only thing that happened is that I accidently kicked it when it was running, standing on it's side.. That made my copy of Silent Hill 2 scratched beyond saving... but the console still works!

Oh, the controller stopped working though. some buttons at least.

I've had the same old PS3 as well (when 120 GB was the newest and most awesome size in Europe... don't remember when that was). And the same PS1. And the same NES, SNES, N64, DS, DSlite, GBA, Wii, 3DS, GB pocket, GB color... Game and Watch Donkey Kong and Game and Watch tabletop Mario's cement factory. Everything is working. nothing's broken (except the G&W, with a broken hinge, missing face plates due to my brother treating it badly, and a missing battery cover of the tabletop).
(Aaaand, the same old Wii U.... haha)
Sometimes I wonder if I'm just extremely lucky when it comes to game consoles, that I get unbreakable ones... or that I actually take care of my stuff..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-