Sony loses court case involving PlayStation Store refunds in Australia, results in $2.4 million fine

juKV4Vg.png

After nearly a year in court, an Australian court case against Sony Interactive Entertainment Network Europe has wrapped up and come to a conclusion. The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) took Sony to court over its digital game refund policies, claiming that they were false and misleading to consumers. Four different users had purchased "faulty" PlayStation games and had been refused refunds, as the games were bought digitally on the PlayStation Store, and according to Sony, were not able to be refunded as more than 14 days had passed since the date of purchase. This breached Australia's Consumer Law rights, which determined that consumers who buy products that don't function as promised or "have a major fault" are able to receive full refunds to their original payment method, even if they are digital goods.

“Consumers who buy digital products online have exactly the same rights as they would if they made the purchase at a physical store,” Mr Sims said.

“No matter where in the world a company has its headquarters, if it is selling to Australian consumers, the Australian Consumer Law applies.”

As a result of breaching ACL rights, Sony EU has been fined $3.5 million AUD (2.4m USD) in penalty fines.

:arrow: Source

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Sony is not a customer friendly, I am not buying ps5.

RIP ps5!!!

i doubt there will be a PS5 anyway

but i 100% agree Sony is not customer friendly at all, i once had a new Sony phone & while under warranty i sent it to Sony for repair as the flip mechanism failed within couple of months of light use & they called me back saying that i had to either pay for the (very expensive) repair or they will dispose of the phone i said dispose of it. i still bought another 3 or 4 Sony phones but 2 years ago i made the switch to Iphone.

another situation with Sony i bought Psn Plus subscription & did not use it due to some personal issues,i called them to see if they can give me another one at a discounted rate,they asked me to wait while they check my account & they came back saying that they can't do anything about it. i asked them then why put me on hold? acting like you wanna help or was it to check my account to see if i was a worthy customer or not ?

the same goes for another far east company LG the customer service is nightmare,they will take weeks to send someone to repair your still under warranty washing machine (only 6 months old) & they will try their very very best to charge you for the repair even though it's clear the fault is manufacturer related not user one.saying this the LG washing machine when working it's better quality than any other brand we had & the clothes come out really soft we even stopped using fabric conditioners !! but i'm worried if it ever goes faulty again i hate to go through the same experience again !!! i have not tried Nintendo for warranty so can't comment but usually their products stand the test of time.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So Nintendo Switch piracy was mainly triggered by the "fusee gelee" bug found on Nvidia Tegra chips.

Should Nvidia reimburse Nintendo millions if not billions of damage and interest?

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Tatsuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Nintendo Switch piracy was mainly triggered by the "fusee gelee" bug found on Nvidia Tegra chips.

Should Nvidia reimburse Nintendo millions if not billions of damage and interest?
Technically, yes. They could if they really wanted.
They won't because it isn't worth it to make an enemy out of NVIDIA, as well as because you know that there's no such a thing as a perfect and flawlessly hardware/software.

Think about it for a second: Nintendo that sues the very company they sided with to make their core product on the market without any guarantee that this won't happen to their own software (meaning that what happened to the NVIDIA hardware could happen to Nintendo's own software).

Reactions: depaul

Satellizer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
accc is great, manufacture warranties literally mean nothing in Australia, everything is covered by the ACCC law. all you have to do is successfully argue that the product did not meet the consumer guarantee and you are entitled to a refund or replacement

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"an Australian court case against Sony Interactive Entertainment Network Europe"
What does Australia have to do with the european store though?

Australia is PAL 50hz and they speak English.

America also speak English (although not quite the same) but are NTSC, which would mess up the Australians TV's.

Japan would be even worse as not only are they NTSC but Australians would have to learn Japanese.

Europe has to support English for the UK and all European countries are PAL 50hz.

Maybe you wonder why they don't have their own? But then they would just be duplicating what Europe is doing anyway, so what exactly is the point?

Should car manufacturers pay out if you get run over?

If Nvidia signed a contract that said they would pay Nintendo money if there was an exploit then sure, if not then why would they?

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"