GBAtemp Exclusive TWIG - Oct 11: Sony sues seller of jailbroken PS4s, Nintendo patents Game Boy case for touchscreens

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 8, 2018.

1. lincruste

lincruste GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2008
    Antarctica
    france
    They did not shutdown Rare either, and still they killed that studio.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Or maybe just an accessory with conductive pads to emulate a DMG-01 button layer on a touchscreen.

2. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    Already preordered Get Famous
    dont judge me please

3. RivenMain

RivenMain GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2016
    United States
    Nice to see the console seller getting fked tbh. It shouldn't be commonly accepted, but it kinda is.

4. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    Prox
    Nobody is worried about them getting shut down. However, that doesn't mean they won't rip the studio for it's talent and leave it as a husk to pump shovelware. The death of a studio isn't defined by it's official shutdown, but rather by the marked decline in the quality of content it produces.

5. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

May 29, 2015
    United States
    Honestly I trust Microsoft more with obsidian than them working under Bethesda. Bethesda fucked them over so hard, during and post development. Hopefully they do better under Microsoft, if only they could take fallout with them so we could have real fallout back again.

6. SagaP

SagaP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2015
    Venezuela
    Living in a place were no one bats and eye to this and you can have entire shops dedicated to piracy, is interesting to see companies enforcing their rights this way.

The ability to stream is not gone, youtube gaming was just a different layout for youtube focus on gaming, but it didn't have nothing you could't do on normal youtube, i don't know about the app thought, i watch Etika stream in plain youtube and it works the same XD.

Mmmm i understand what you're saying, but you have to remember that allowing the execution custom software makes the device more vulnerable to piracy, even just extras like browser and media players, "the more complex a system is the more vulnerable it becomes".

Also Backwards compatibility and emulation is costly, hard, and gives nothing in return to the people who work on them, even when you make a digital market place it doesn't offer much benefit after licences and development the software required for playing old games in a new system.

After all this is a community built on top of the desire to challenge the restriction imposed in the devices we own.

And of course there are many companies making exactly that, open hardware with the ability to run custom software, with the ability to play all the retro games you want and i'm not even talking PC, all the other emulation machines that comes in all shapes and sizes.

This i totally agree, but i cases like these i always blame the consumers who are willing to pay for things like this when there are product out there that cost less and do so much more, i mean you just get preinstalled games, there is not a store to add more games, or even the ability to play physical copies, i just don't see the value in this products.

Cecilmax likes this.
  7. sephurchin

sephurchin GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2015
    United States
    World V
    That guy with the jailbreak ps4 is hilarious. Exited about skuikoden. I really hope they bring it back.

8. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    I'm sure somewhere in the world there are people who look at how other countries bother to prosecute murderers and rapists and feel the same way as you. It's all down to how strong the legal system is in that country.

Like PS3 Other OS? Sony removed it after George Hotz used it as an attack vector.

Last edited by smf, Oct 11, 2018
  9. SagaP

SagaP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2015
    Venezuela
    ow sorry i wasn't condoning the guy in any way, nor do i think living in a third world country is in any way an advantage just because piracy is ubiquitous here, it is just that no every day you see companies against hardware vendors in the same way not every day you see someone so "transparent" about their illicit activities, is like setting up a stand an promoting your "hard substances" in the middle of the street.
    Eddit: format

Last edited by SagaP, Oct 11, 2018
  10. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    No, I understand. What people think of as normal is based on what they are used to seeing.

A few years ago Nintendo went hard against flash card sellers across europe and even people from some european countries were astounded, because piracy shops were common place.

The major problem for this guy was that it took Sony a long time to act, his bravery will have increased as he noticed others and himself were getting away with it. Some people will do the right thing, some people will do the wrong thing, some people will do the right thing if they think they'll get caught doing the wrong thing.

Last edited by smf, Oct 11, 2018
    SagaP likes this.
  11. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Looks like you're gonna collect meltan like the zygarde in pokemon sumo

12. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    It is interesting how stuff like pirated games on modded console's goes ignored other than a few listings being removed on eBay for stuff like 360 and PS3, but since PS4 is current Sony took action, whereas like Microsoft they ignored their modded last gen consoles with free games.

The 360 RGH E model I just got was advertised with "free" games and I got them, although I blew them away when I used the HDD from my older Falcon JTAG on it.

13. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    NANI!!!??? Yakuza is a terrible game!?