Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by War, Feb 7, 2009.

Feb 7, 2009
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    [​IMG]

I hadn't even heard any news about this game, but I kinda want to get it. Apparently it's a compilation of 60 Genesis games rolled up into one 360 game. Thoughts?

MetaCritic

2. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    SEGA...make a real Sonic game. Thx

3. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Meh they release at least on of these a year for various consoles...with exception to Wii as they just like to fleece us with inferior emulated versions on VC and thus we use our own emulators. [​IMG]

4. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Awesome. Getting achievements for my favourites as a kid. Definitely gonna pick this one up

5. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    ooh i'll definately be keeping an eye on this. luv sonic.

(too bad they've ended the franchise but with failure after failure what more could they do.)

6. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Its supposed to be an amazing collection of games. What interests me the most is the included Arcade versions of a couple games, and even some Sega Master System games. Having Phantasy Star 1-4 in one place is quite nice. I have all these on emulators, and am thinking of getting it anyway.

7. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    How many times are they going to do this? Exactly how many retro collections did they release for the last generation of consoles (GC, Xbox, PS2, GBA...)?

8. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Has anyone played this yet? I wouldn't mind getting it but if it uses the same crappy filters that the Xbox Live titles use I'll give it a miss.

9. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    My friend has it, he says the filters are there but you can turn them off.

10. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    How bad does it look without the filters do you know?

11. science

Canada
    What filters? I've been playing the games and they are great. I haven't noticed any filters...?

12. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    Nice one! I'll pick it up now. I wasn't sure if they looked as messy as the Xbox Live versions or not.

13. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    About as bad as you'd expect them to, taking into consideration how big your TV is. If you're still using a smaller TV or a CRT type TV that was available back in those days, they'll look fine. If you're using a 37"+ widescreen LCD television, they look as bad as you think they'll look. It's different for everyone though. Some people like that 'retro' pixelated look, and some people like the look with the filters on.

14. science

Canada
    Well, to be fair, I am on a 17" CRT TV that is about 20-30 years old right now, so maybe I'm just not noticing them because my TV is really bad. But everything looks the same to me as it did 13 years ago on my Genesis [​IMG]

15. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Hm... I got the game in my external, about to burn it soon. I'll let you know. I'm using a 21.5" 1080p monitor, so that may influence the outcome.

16. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    Mines HDTV but it's only a 19". I can swap it down to 480 so it's a lower res but some of the Xbox Live stuff still looks pretty bad, if it looks exactly the same asit used to in SD I'll pick it up. I can always just use the scart cable so it's SD. It's boat loads easier then pulling the MD and carts out.

17. JohnnyCheeks

Member JohnnyCheeks GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Don't get this. This compilation is an abject failure for various reasons...

Despite Sonic 1-3 and Sonic & Knuckles being in the compilation, there's NO LOCK ON FEATURES AT ALL (the developers apparently never heard of 'copy /b sonic3.bin+sandk.bin s3k.bin')

The sound is off for several (if not all) games, it's especially noticeable in Space Harrier.

Remapped controls don't get retained (well they do... but for some reason you have to go back into the control settings for them to be active again, which is lazy programming on Sega's part).

And the biggest fuckup is INPUT LAG... I can hardly even play Sonic 3 without getting hit or messing up in the bonus stages.

Don't support this steaming pile of shit, don't even pirate it. It's a waste of bandwidth. Just go download Kega Fusion and find a rom torrent to play the classics as close as they were originally intended. For an even more immersive experience, go find and buy a Sega Saturn USB pad for your PC (which has totally rekindled my interest in the 16-bit wonder).

18. science

Canada
    I have encountered none of these problems... today I played Sonic 3 and never failed a bonus stage or even lost a life... maybe its your TV?

19. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Woooooooo Dynamite Heady! Wooo Fatal Labyrinth lol. Does Streets of Rage have online multiplayer?

ALSO: WHERE THE FUCK IS TOE JAM AND EARL?! (Also Rocket Knight Adventures?! and Gunstar Heroes too if licensing isn't a problem) :/ It's not there so I brand this Sonic's Not-so-Ultimate Genesis Collection.

ALSO ALSO: lol easy achievements

20. science

Canada
    Woo! Another Dynamite Heady fan! I thought I was the only person to have played that game!

TARGET! TARGET! TARGET!

Also, do you think the cat kinda looks like Pedo Bear?