Hacking So is there any reason to get gateway over Sky3ds?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read something about that too but didn't really understand it. I'm sure I read that the Sky stores a record of which games have been installed and even if you format the SD card you can't install different games. Is that really correct?

That was true for the original release, but they've since released another version of the card without that bullshit. You can tell which is which by the color of the button, but I forget which color is which version. There are ways to hack the older version I think as well.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
That was true for the original release, but they've since released another version of the card without that bullshit. You can tell which is which by the color of the button, but I forget which color is which version. There are ways to hack the older version I think as well.
Presumably they we re trying to distance themselves from piracy by making it appear that the device isn't designed for rotating lots of (presumably downloaded) ROMs? :blink:

dedChar

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Presumably they we re trying to distance themselves from piracy by making it appear that the device isn't designed for rotating lots of (presumably downloaded) ROMs? :blink:
No, that wouldn't make sense, because the sky3ds can't launch stuff like homebrew, only downloaded/dumped 3ds roms.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read something about that too but didn't really understand it. I'm sure I read that the Sky stores a record of which games have been installed and even if you format the SD card you can't install different games. Is that really correct?
That's from the Red Button models, they kept note of the first 10 games loaded and things get awkward to go past that limit.
The current model Blue Button ones don't have this issue, though you can only have 31 available to scroll through at any given time (but personally I think you'd be insane to want to scroll through 31).

I have to ditto what's been said by mech, my console was a JP N3DS... it's exploitable, but you need CN to start. Since some have a hard time getting a domestic CN, imagine a foreign one! So I got a Sky to run exploits from and over a short time many things of various interest have found their way to be run through it. (Though I still wish NTR had a higher success rate...)

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
That's from the Red Button models, they kept note of the first 10 games loaded and things get awkward to go past that limit.
The current model Blue Button ones don't have this issue, though you can only have 31 available to scroll through at any given time (but personally I think you'd be insane to want to scroll through 31).

I have to ditto what's been said by mech, my console was a JP N3DS... it's exploitable, but you need CN to start. Since some have a hard time getting a domestic CN, imagine a foreign one! So I got a Sky to run exploits from and over a short time many things of various interest have found their way to be run through it. (Though I still wish NTR had a higher success rate...)
Thanks for clarifying the 10 game limit. Can you clarify what you mean about running exploits from the Sky? My understanding was that the Sky could only emulate real carts and was unable to run exploits.

D

Deleted-355425

Thanks for clarifying the 10 game limit. Can you clarify what you mean about running exploits from the Sky? My understanding was that the Sky could only emulate real carts and was unable to run exploits.

What he means is, some exploits require a particular game cart to trigger it, now the price of these games has sky rocketed around 400% and cost around the same price as a sky3ds cart.

With the sky3ds cart emulating real game you can just put th exploit games on the Sky and run them.

Reactions: Margen67

bumperboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah so no luck for me except Sky3DS. But is it that bad? The blue button of course. I just want my daughter to play her games (pokemons, kirbys and a few more) and that's it.

D

Deleted-355425

Yeah so no luck for me except Sky3DS. But is it that bad? The blue button of course. I just want my daughter to play her games (pokemons, kirbys and a few more) and that's it.

Sounds like sky3ds is perfect for your situation.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
From what I've been reading opinions are divided on the Sky. It literally emulates carts so no homebrew, no exploits, no unsigned code at all. Just playing ROMs. If you're going to play online then you need to inject a private header from a real cart (which you own) to avoid detection but otherwise the Sky looks like a decent option for those like us who have a currently unexploitable firmware version.

dedChar

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
From what I've been reading opinions are divided on the Sky. It literally emulates carts so no homebrew, no exploits, no unsigned code at all. Just playing ROMs. If you're going to play online then you need to inject a private header from a real cart (which you own) to avoid detection but otherwise the Sky looks like a decent option for those like us who have a currently unexploitable firmware version.
Well if there would be ninjhax on fw >9.2 you could have homebrew through sky, but currently there is no way for homebrew on fw > 9.2

cocoPika

Trophies
Website
sky3dsnewsinformation.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
actually SKY3DS, I do not get the reason to buy GW since SKY3DS can get all the funtions which gw can do,
Even more functions than GW, for example, sky3ds can play GBA games but Gateway cannot, sky3ds also support the newest firmware, if some other people find any other useful plugins like rxtools,pasta CFW, the sky3ds can support it and get more function, its opening thinking

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
actually SKY3DS, I do not get the reason to buy GW since SKY3DS can get all the funtions which gw can do,
Even more functions than GW, for example, sky3ds can play GBA games but Gateway cannot, sky3ds also support the newest firmware, if some other people find any other useful plugins like rxtools,pasta CFW, the sky3ds can support it and get more function, its opening thinking
Sky3DS cannot play GBA games. It also cannot play eShop games, DSiWare, VC, etc.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up