Hacking Slot 1: M3 Simply, DS-Xtreme or... ???

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi there,

I'm new to this site and forums (pretty cool, btw!
smile.gif
and I need your help, please.

I got a DS Lite (black) for my birthday and now I'm looking for a good slot 1 solution. I'm not completely new to flash linkers, as I used to own a XG-Flash for GBA back then
wink.gif

So far, M3 Simply and DS-Xtreme have caught my attention... which one should I choose? Or are there even better devices out there?

Thanks.

DualGuy

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
M3 Simply really has higher compatiblity than DS-X? I'm a bit confused now, because I remember the GBAtemp review said it's nearly 100%
huh.gif

What about homebrew? I'm interested in some of the emulators, such as nesDS, picodriveDs, FrodoDs etc.

Oh and I don't mind the DS-X price tag. Sure, lower price is alway cool, but I'm willing to pay for a DS-X if it's actually better.

DualGuy

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks, but isn't the R4 the same as M3 Simply?

Unfortunately, no lists has FrodoDS (C64 emulator) listed. Do you know if it works with M3 and/or R4? Yeah, I'm a Commodore fan
wink.gif

DualGuy

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Go with what everyone else is getting either the M3 Simple or the R4. When something is popular your more likely to get firmware updates for many years to come. Also its really simple to put a game onto it, its just drag and drop onto the microsd card.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Go with what everyone else is getting either the M3 Simple or the R4. When something is popular your more likely to get firmware updates for many years to come.

I guess you're right.

I've seen other carts on the web such as "DS-Linker" (16 Gb = 2 GB) for the same price as a DS-X with its 512 MB, but couldn't find any info on them... yes, I think I'll go for M3 Simply or R4
smile.gif

Thanks.

DualGuy

FuLei

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DS-X has a lot better multiplayer/Download Play compatibility. In fact, it's probably the best of any flash cart. Other than that, R4/M3 Simply matches it in every aspect performancewise. If you don't really play multiplayer/DP then the cheaper way is the M3 Simply.

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Multiplayer is actually something I don't want to miss, while download play doesn't matter to me.
Do you know if multiplayer works for major titles (Mario Kart, Tetris... uh, any other so far?) on M3/R4, too?

As for the price tag, just as I wrote earlier, I'd be willing to pay a little more if things work really better. But now ppl here told that compatiblity might be actually higher with M3 Simply/R4 than DS-X... man, this is becoming complicated
unsure.gif

DualGuy

Bali

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you only plan on buying a slot-1 cart pure for DS games, go for the DS-Xtreme.
If want to play GBA games using a seperate slot-2 cart in the future go for the R4 / M3 solution.

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
R4 works with Mariokart as long as you use the correct version for your country (in your case euro). Not tried Tetris - will try shortly and let you know.

Really appreciated - thanks in advance! Now I just need to know if the same as above also goes for M3 Simply, because it seems like that cart is easier to get here.

DualGuy

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If want to play GBA games using a seperate slot-2 cart in the future go for the R4 / M3 solution.

Yeah, I was thinking about that... getting a slot 2 cart for GBA later. How did you know?
laugh.gif

However, I'm not really sure about that yet, because with all the DS games and some homebrew stuff I might not even miss GBA software. Time will tell
smile.gif

DualGuy

betaboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just tried Tetris and it works perfectly online.. and I won both battles to boot - Hurrah!
I haven't tried a M3 Simply, but as it is the same hardware, I'd think it should work as well.

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cool
smile.gif

Well, time for me to find a good shop... btw, does the R4 cart come with a white or black shell?

DualGuy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That cat bites +1