Hacking Slot 1: M3 Simply, DS-Xtreme or... ???

FuLei

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dunno, but my friend has R4, and we couldn't do Mario Kart (with my REAL mario kart cartridge). And every other game we tried (a lot) didn't work. DS-X hasn't had any problems. Nevertheless R4 is expandable which is huge.

betaboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cool
smile.gif

Well, time for me to find a good shop... btw, does the R4 cart come with a white or black shell?

DualGuy
R4's did come in a white shell with a spare black shell. Since M3 Simply came to market (black shell only), they only ship in white - i guess to differentiate between the products.

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dunno, but my friend has R4, and we couldn't do Mario Kart (with my REAL mario kart cartridge). And every other game we tried (a lot) didn't work. DS-X hasn't had any problems. Nevertheless R4 is expandable which is huge.

Maybe real carts and flash carts (at least R4) don't work together well? Man, I'm still not 100% sure if I should get DS-X or not, but then again, DS-X is more expensive than M3/R4 and storage space is limited. Also it seems like DS-X is pretty slow on updates. I don't care for fancy LEDs or a polished OS, but if multiplayer works better... it's still worth a thought. Oh well
huh.gif

DualGuy

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
QUOTE said:
R4's did come in a white shell with a spare black shell. Since M3 Simply came to market (black shell only), they only ship in white - i guess to differentiate between the products.

Heh, I know this might sound silly, but in this case I'd prefer a M3 Simply... got a black DS Lite
wink.gif

DualGuy

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Maybe real carts and flash carts (at least R4) don't work together well? Man, I'm still not 100% sure if I should get DS-X or not, but then again, DS-X is more expensive than M3/R4 and storage space is limited. Also it seems like DS-X is pretty slow on updates. I don't care for fancy LEDs or a polished OS, but if multiplayer works better... it's still worth a thought. Oh well
huh.gif

DualGuy

I have an M3 Simply, and I used to have a G6 lite. The M3 and G6 can play multicart multiplayer together without problems, the G6 can play multicart multiplayer with original carts without problems, and download play from the M3 to an unflashed DS worked for metroid pinball and battleship. I have not had a chance to test the M3 with an original cart, but I expect it to work.

You can get 2 R4s and 2 microSD cards for about the same price as a DSX.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i also agree with everyone that says get a R4/M3 Simply, its quite nice and i like it so much i even bought one for my gf and talked my friend into buying a R4 instead X9. if R4/M3simply keeps it up i think i prob wont get a M3 Real. i'd lean towards the R4 more, for the faster updates though

castlevania plays fine
havnt had a single failed load so far

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks everyone... in order to bring this to an end, I think it's gonna be a M3 or R4 plus 2 Kingston microSD (those Japanese ones listed at scorpei.com).

DualGuy

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got an M3 last night and my hands are crippled from playing it all day. I'm very, very happy with it from the build quality to the performance. I don't really care about slot 2 stuff and GBA so the Simply suits my needs.

I had 1 freeze in POR so far, but it's honestly not a big deal. It froze when I got killed so I had to load my save anyways. I got like 3 hours in the game so far and it's been great. there's save points all over the place so freezing isn't a big deal. Some of my original retail carts freeze too like FF3.

Every other game I tried worked fine with no problems.

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. My M3 Simply should arrive tomorrow, provided the shop and GLS do not mess things up
rolleyes.gif

As for compatiblity, I don't expect every single game to work 100% flawless, because that's virtually impossible. There are and always be some issues, but as long as the majority of (important) games run well, it's alright with me
smile.gif

Btw, what microSD do you have?

Keep
gba.gif

DualGuy

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. My M3 Simply should arrive tomorrow, provided the shop and GLS do not mess things up
rolleyes.gif

As for compatiblity, I don't expect every single game to work 100% flawless, because that's virtually impossible. There are and always be some issues, but as long as the majority of (important) games run well, it's alright with me
smile.gif

Btw, what microSD do you have?

Keep
gba.gif

DualGuy

I'm using 1 GB Kingston made in Japan. I have about 14 games on the card so that's pretty good and it's nice having a little jukebox in your hands for travelling and such!

All the games I have played work exactly like a retail cart-no slowdown or anything unless the slowdowns were in the real cart to begin with. I have heard that the retail cart of POR freezes as well, so it could be a rom issue. I'm very happy with my purchase. this thing is the real deal.

Pros: So far everything slot 1 minus the minor POR issue.

Cons: Early arthritis.

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cool. I don't have Kingston Japan yet, so I'll be using some other brand from my GFs MP3 player for now
smile.gif
Will make sure to grab one those recommended microSD's, though.

Talking of POR, it would be nice to know if those random freezes REALLY occur on real carts, too. Maybe someone who bought a copy of Castlevania POR can confirm this?

DualGuy

PS: My M3 should arrive in a few hours
smile.gif

DualGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just got my M3 Simply and a Kingston (Japan) microSD today. I have tried about 10 different NDS games so far and... well, it's awesome! Everyone who's still unsure what cart he/she should get, listen to my advice: grab a M3 Simply and be happy
wink.gif

Also, I guess I'm lucky, because the included USB Trans Flash adapter works without any problems and does not even feel "cheap" as reported by some users. Apparently it's a newer series (black half-transparent look).

DualGuy

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just got my M3 Simply and a Kingston (Japan) microSD today. I have tried about 10 different NDS games so far and... well, it's awesome! Everyone who's still unsure what cart he/she should get, listen to my advice: grab a M3 Simply and be happy
wink.gif

Also, I guess I'm lucky, because the included USB Trans Flash adapter works without any problems and does not even feel "cheap" as reported by some users. Apparently it's a newer series (black half-transparent look).

DualGuy

Nice, enjoy your M3! My hands have already fallen off from over playing Castlevania!

I got the newer batch of M3 that comes with that USB adapter as well, but I haven't used it since I already have an SDcard reader that's proven itself reliable. But it's nice to know it's working without problem for you.

amemoryoncelost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have had ZERO issues with my DS-X. Been using it for 3 months now and every single game I've tried has worked perfectly. I don't mess around much with the music or video, just drag on some games and play. I think right now I have ten or 12 games. Just added a couple of newer games and they seem to be playing very well just like the rest.

I'm no fanboy, but since it seemed to be the first of it's kind out and has apple compatibility, it was a no brainer for me. I am interested to see how all of the slot1's look in the next 6 months though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1