Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

omikes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend is using a o3ds XL with firmware 10.3. I followed the tutorial exactly but my friend said nothing happens after pressing Y for downgrading. He tried it more than 10 times. He got installed browserhax because he don't own CN or OOT.

Can someone help why its not working?

I would recommend that he, in addition to the steps listed by the OP, backup his SD card, delete everything on it (no need to format) and start over with just a starter pack, sysupdate, and the CIA files. Upon opening Homebrew, install MenuHax to give him a secondary option for booting the HBL. Also, try opening up another homebrew app first and then exiting it, preferably one that initiates network access such as FTPBrony. It is my firm belief that sysUpdater does not properly allocate space to run on some systems; starting another app first seems to correct this.

Freezing after pressing Y on downgrade is to be expected, just keep trying. Took me about 20 times, but following my additional steps should reduce this.

Last edited by omikes,

pandavova

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a o3DS XL with 10.1....E with Themhax/Menuhax/Dontnowothernamehax.
Can i downgrade to 9.2E and there install Themehax/Menuhax with first Sliderhax?

Diffrence from Menu and Themehax?

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend that he, in addition to the steps listed by the OP, backup his SD card, delete everything on it (no need to format) and start over with just a starter pack, sysupdate, and the CIA files. Upon opening Homebrew, install MenuHax to give him a secondary option for booting the HBL. Also, try opening up another homebrew app first and then exiting it, preferably one that initiates network access such as FTPBrony. It is my firm belief that sysUpdater does not properly allocate space to run on some systems; starting another app first seems to correct this.

Freezing after pressing Y on downgrade is to be expected, just keep trying. Took me about 20 times, but following my additional steps should reduce this.
Thanks for comprehensive answer, he'll try it now.

KevAqn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cleared the SD card and put everything back on there and I'm not getting any numbers prior to loading sysUpdater. I'm on 9.5.0-23U, open to any other options, but doing what someone else did earlier in this thread doesn't seem to be working for me.

bomigoton

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was on 9.9, New3DS XL.
Today I was able to start the downgrading, it installed all cia's successful and said restart in 10 seconds. Then only blackscreen, or a "go to homescreen" message maximum after pressing power button. Restarting did not help. Booted into recovery, updated via Internet to 10.3. I was able to start the downgrade another two times. But same result.

Giving up for today. Will stay on 10.3 for now.

Edit:
Looks like it was ok, I would just need to remove the sd card to let it boot porperly. Oooops. Will try again.

Last edited by bomigoton,

omikes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cleared the SD card and put everything back on there and I'm not getting any numbers prior to loading sysUpdater. I'm on 9.5.0-23U, open to any other options, but doing what someone else did earlier in this thread doesn't seem to be working for me.

I highly recommend updating to the latest version 10.3 before downgrading, as lower versions tend not to be fully compatible with this system.

If you don't want to do that, experiment by opening different homebrew apps before running systemUpdate. For me, the program would freeze to a black screen upon opening every time unless I opened FTPBrony first, leaving it on for about five seconds.

KevAqn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly recommend updating to the latest version 10.3 before downgrading, as lower versions tend not to be fully compatible with this system.

If you don't want to do that, experiment by opening different homebrew apps before running systemUpdate. For me, the program would freeze to a black screen upon opening every time unless I opened FTPBrony first, leaving it on for about five seconds.

I decided to open the oot3d one since I have a card and attempted to go through that with no success... Although after loading up sysUpdater again it froze on a yellow screen instead of just being black or not displaying any confirmations at the menu. Will keep fiddling around I guess.

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No, you can't. Browserhax will be installed for 10.3, not 9.2. You may be able to edit your browserhax files to work with 9.2 but you'll have to find out how to do that from someone/somewhere else because I don't know how.

Edit: Maybe you could just reinstall it, I've never used it so I don't know.
Browserhax just boots boot.3DSX from the website. you don't need to install anything. if you can visit a webpage it should work. so i will try

Reactions: Father Crilly

omikes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to open the oot3d one since I have a card and attempted to go through that with no success... Although after loading up sysUpdater again it froze on a yellow screen instead of just being black or not displaying any confirmations at the menu. Will keep fiddling around I guess.

I initially used oot3d sploit installer as well. Be sure to choose the slot oot3d is already installed on, and installation should work. With some network access memory expansion, it frees up more room for sysUpdater to run. Try FTPBrony though, its much faster, just open the app, leave it on for a second, then back out with B.

Last edited by omikes,

KevAqn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I initially used oot3d sploit installer as well. Be sure to choose the slot oot3d is already installed on, and installation should work. With some network access memory expansion, it frees up more room for sysUpdater to run. Try FTPBrony though, its much faster, just open the app, leave it on for a second, then back out with B.

Still not getting very much, were you on 10.3? I'm guessing if I updated I'd have to reinstall menuhax?

omikes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine was 10.3, yes. With the starter pack, installing menuhax is as simple as going to the included MenuHax_manager app and selecting install, so there's no compiling required. Although, it did take me like 25+ tries before I had any luck... you may want to stick to the version you have for now, although 10.3 is currently compatible with browserhax, plus you can install IronHax using the old version installer and have that too. Whatever you end up doing, I would recommend not bothering to format, which seems to be a popular last resort on this thread. Its not worth losing whatever games/user data you have on there.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friend's O3DS locks up whenever he presses Y in the sysupdater. We've done this maybe 10 times now. Is there anything else we can do to fix this?

omikes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friend's O3DS locks up whenever he presses Y in the sysupdater. We've done this maybe 10 times now. Is there anything else we can do to fix this?
Open FTPBrony, leave it on for a second, then back out with B. THEN open sysupdater. Also, delete all non essential items from the SD card. I used a fresh starter pack, sysupdater, and the CIA files only.

Are you using a Mac by chance? I have heard that Mac inserts invisible files along with the CIA files that invalidates the installation process.

Last edited by omikes,

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Open FTPBrony, leave it on for a second, then back out with B. THEN open sysupdater. Also, delete all non essential items from the SD card. I used a fresh starter pack, sysupdater, and the CIA files only.

Are you using a Mac by chance? I have heard that Mac inserts invisible files along with the CIA files that invalidates the installation process.
I followed your instructions and it worked. We're waiting for it to ifnish a reboot. Here's to hoping. Thanks.

(Doing an N3DS next. Pray, pray, pray.)

trsoares

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Courage for what? Are you afraid it's going to brick? As long as you follow the steps correctly (pretty easy) it's practically impossible to get a brick on an O3DS. No one has so far anyway. If you do get a brick, it will be a "soft brick" which can be fixed easily.

I got the courage after all...

Downgrade sucess!!

2cd2hyp.jpg

First and only try with MenuHax!!

And the 3ds also rebooted by itself after installing the cia's files with no problems.

Really thanks for the help man!

Reactions: Father Crilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?