Not open for further replies.

princefarzan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
KingVamp said:
princefarzan said:
The company. If you are preaching against piracy and wanted to go 100% clean then if a game is not coming in your region, buy the console in the region (if it's region locked) and buy the game in that region by importing it. End of story. Can't afford that? Stop being a hypocrite and admit your no better then the guy beside you pirating anything he sees.
If the company is hurting so badly they shouldn't have it region or bring it over here.

I think they doing just fine.

Do you even import games?

No, I'm a pirate to the core although I will be buying 3DS games until a flashcart comes out for it (please be soon just to piss you hypocrites), and I buy games which I heavily support or where the online is really good (halo, mass effect, gears of war, etc.). And also the company doesn't have it in your region because they would be selling at a loss due to demand in that region and also it cost money to localize games, so really if you want to help them out import it so maybe later they can have it in your region and stop bitching at the pirates.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thegame07 said:
The people talking about how it's bad pirating at the start of a consoles life but not later are wrong. Let's take Capcom they probably sold a shit load of super street fighter at launch. Everyone bought it as it's a launch title. In 2 year Capcom decide "hey they all loved our street fighter, let's make another" We all pirate it. Capcom loses a lot of sales due to piracy, they decide there won't be another street fighter on ds when they where going to do it if it sold well.
How 'bout the end of it life or more pass that?

Plus not all pirates who wait later isn't going to pirate everything in sight.

Plus in two years we should have a lot of games for people to buy or pirates to buy later so the system shouldn't just die off.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thegame07 said:
The people talking about how it's bad pirating at the start of a consoles life but not later are wrong. Let's take Capcom they probably sold a shit load of super street fighter at launch. Everyone bought it as it's a launch title. In 2 year Capcom decide "hey they all loved our street fighter, let's make another" We all pirate it. Capcom loses a lot of sales due to piracy, they decide there won't be another street fighter on ds when they where going to do it if it sold well.

I don't know what game you're referencing. Street Fighter IV sold well. Super Street Fighter IV sold well. There's various reasons they didn't make a DS version of Street Fighter, odds are.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guild McCommunist said:
And you're hurting anybody who works at companies that specialize in imports and the developer/publisher who makes the game.
Same shit all over again, a pirated copy does not per se mean a lost sale. What if the pirate would not buy the game in the first place? Still, this doesn't really back up the moral side of the story, nor the other sides, so this argument means nothing at all.
Notch @ Sep 14 2010 said:
If someone pirates Minecraft instead of buying it, it means I’ve lost some “potential” revenue. Not actual revenue, as I can never go into debt by people pirating the game too much, but I might’ve made even more if that person had bought the game instead. But what if that person likes that game, talks about it to his or her friends, and then I manage to convince three of them to buy the game? I’d make three actual sales instead of blocking out the potentially missed sale of the original person which never cost me any money in the first case

Notch @ Sep 14 2010
Instead of just relying on guilt tripping pirates into buying, or wasting time and money trying to stop them, I can offer online-only services that actually add to the game experience. Online level saving, centralized skins, friends lists and secure name verification for multiplayer. None of these features can be accessed by people with pirated versions of the game, and hopefully they can be features that turn pirates from thieves into potential customers.
Really, is Notch the only developer out there who understands it?

Source

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
What if the pirate would not buy the game in the first place?

What.

On the flipside, what if he was thinking about buying it but decided to just pirate it instead because it's free? It's a stupid argument. He's still playing a game for free that should cost money to play.

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
I'm a pirate, and I do not feel at all guilty about it. I buy the games I think are worth the money.

BUT I still hope the 3DS stays unhacked for a long time, so that developers make a lot of good games for it. I believe if it is hacked too soon, then good developers will opt out of producing games for it.

Please note I do hope the 3DS gets hacked, just not too quickly. I usually buy the new consoles very quickly, buy a bundle of games, play them to death, buy some later releases, grow tired of the system, hack the console, gain interest once more, collect as many games as I can with downloads, then repeat when the new console is released.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guild McCommunist said:
Berthenk said:
What if the pirate would not buy the game in the first place?

What.

On the flipside, what if he was thinking about buying it but decided to just pirate it instead because it's free? It's a stupid argument. He's still playing a game for free that should cost money to play.

QUOTE(Berthenk @ Mar 28 2011, 09:48 PM)
Same shit all over again, a pirated copy does not per se mean a lost sale. What if the pirate would not buy the game in the first place? Still, this doesn't really back up the moral side of the story, nor the other sides, so this argument means nothing at all.
wink.gif

D

Deleted User

Well, I'm not a hypocrite. I'm a pirate.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Though, I've never used Limewire :/

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
princefarzan said:
No, I'm a pirate to the core although I will be buying 3DS games until a flashcart comes out for it (please be soon just to piss you hypocrites), and I buy games which I heavily support or where the online is really good (halo, mass effect, gears of war, etc.). And also the company doesn't have it in your region because they would be selling at a loss due to demand in that region and also it cost money to localize games, so really if you want to help them out import it so maybe later they can have it in your region and stop bitching at the pirates.
*I will be buying 3DS games until a flashcart*

At least you giving them some money.

And there other things other then price and demand that keep a game from coming over here.

Like bad rating systems, I be paying more for something that will never be localize to my language vs localize. I guess it be extra helping people in that region.

Either way if I pirate a non-localize game have it fan-translated and then buy two games in my region or even if I did import one game price = two localize game,which may never be localize, it isn't hurting anyone.

I'm giving up money one way or another, but at lease one more beneficial to me.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fluffykiwi said:
BUT I still hope the 3DS stays unhacked for a long time, so that developers make a lot of good games for it. I believe if it is hacked too soon, then good developers will opt out of producing games for it.

I don't see why people think that once a console is hacked that developers will stop caring about their games. The Wii has been hacking for a while and a lot of its best games have come out when there's easy piracy. Same with the DS, same with the PSP, same with the Xbox 360, and same with the PS3. It's just not true at all.

If piracy was a major impact on it though, you'd think it'd be the other way around. Devs would want better quality games so people would actually feel like they're worth buying. A lot of shit games would just end up being pirated since they're not worth the cash in someone's eyes. If you make a game that'll blow people away who often pirate you may just convince them to buy it.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
thegame07 said:
Urza said:
Issac said:
Umm, nope, didn't say that. Besides, first flashcards for the ds wasn't as easy to come by, use and all for the average 12 year olds. you had to have a pass-me (build your own or buy a pre-made) a bought game and a gba-flashcart. and also, it didn't come right away either.
people are talking about "don't pirate it right away" in the context of people wanting a flashcard for a system that came out yesterday.
So waiting 6 months makes the difference some how?

I would love to hear you explain why.

I'm thinking the same thing m8.

Do I honesly have to explain?

Okay, over exaggerating a lot in this very simple example. (you may call it a hurr durr stupid example, i'm aware it is).
Day one: start selling games.
6 months later: sold 20,000,000 games.
devs and publishers say: damn, this is awesome and produce some more.
pirate games now, (strong following buying already, and of course a lot pirating) sales will dip but might push devs to make "better" buy-worthy games.
QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Mar 28 2011, 09:06 PM)
... Devs would want better quality games so people would actually feel like they're worth buying. A lot of shit games would just end up being pirated since they're not worth the cash in someone's eyes. If you make a game that'll blow people away who often pirate you may just convince them to buy it.

compared to....

Day one: start selling games, NOW PIRATE!
6 months later: 4000 games sold...
devs and publishers say: damn, this shit's not selling, let's leave it at this and not lose any more on this ship.

YES i over exaggerated a lot, and why so few sales? because the "buyers" who all bought a lot in the first example never got "forced" to buy in the first place, and hence went directly to pirating without looking back... again, exaggerating, but that's how 6 months waiting on flash cards makes a difference.

EDIT: added a quote written after i started writing.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
You modern DS pirates don't appreciate how easy it is.

You complain about 30 bucks for a flash cart, back in the GBA heyday they ran for 100 the cheapest. And you had to flash them, etc. wait forever...

$100? I remember when I bought my first GBA cart in 2001, was 256 megabits (32 Megabytes), big enough to hold 2-4 games and cost $249. I remember the long flashing time, took like 5-10 mins for a game

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
isaac

but then you are giving developers a false sense of security that could hurt them even more. first sales are good so they invest a lot more money in the next game which bombs because of piracy and now they are at a worse place.

i can exagerates too

princefarzan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
KingVamp said:
princefarzan said:
*I will be buying 3DS games until a flashcart*

At least you giving them some money.

And there other things other then price and demand that keep a game from coming over here.

Like bad rating systems, I be paying more for something that will never be localize to my language vs localize. I guess it be extra helping people in that region.

Either way if I pirate a non-localize game have it fan-translated and then buy two games in my region or even if I did import one game price = two localize game,which may never be localize, it isn't hurting anyone.

I'm giving up money one way or another, but at lease one more beneficial to me.

That still doesn't justify pirating it, cause different teams worked on different games and you could be buying games from two different companies and each game has money put into so if you buy 2 games and pirate one that doesn't make it right because the team that made the game you pirated will be laid off due to low sales (please note I'm over-exaggerating). And please stop justifying your piracy, you buy 100 games, and pirate one means your a pirate, stop trying to say "Well I bought 100 and pirated one which means revenue from me is 100-1 = 99 which means +99 profit for company X".

Again, I'm not against pirates in anyway, I just don't like hypocrites who tell pirates to stop pirating.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issac said:
Guild McCommunist said:
... Devs would want better quality games so people would actually feel like they're worth buying. A lot of shit games would just end up being pirated since they're not worth the cash in someone's eyes. If you make a game that'll blow people away who often pirate you may just convince them to buy it.

compared to....

Day one: start selling games, NOW PIRATE!
6 months later: 4000 games sold...
devs and publishers say: damn, this shit's not selling, let's leave it at this and not lose any more on this ship.

YES i over exaggerated a lot, and why so few sales? because the "buyers" who all bought a lot in the first example never got "forced" to buy in the first place, and hence went directly to pirating without looking back... again, exaggerating, but that's how 6 months waiting on flash cards makes a difference.

Games that sell that little don't sell that little because of piracy, they sell that little because of the game.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
princefarzan said:
That still doesn't justify pirating it, cause different teams worked on different games and you could be buying games from two different companies and each game has money put into so if you buy 2 games and pirate one that doesn't make it right because the team that made the game you pirated will be laid off due to low sales (please note I'm over-exaggerating). And please stop justifying your piracy, you buy 100 games, and pirate one means your a pirate, stop trying to say "Well I bought 100 and pirated one which means revenue from me is 100-1 = 99 which means +99 profit for company X".

except for nintendo profits either way since they take 30 percent with no real risk in 3rd party software. in a way they are the real pirates. their ship is the wii and the ds, they intersect developers trying to sell games and they charge them a high tax.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issac said:
You over-exaggerated to the point where your argument loses all validity.

Let's look at this another way.

Console sales generally start out slowly, especially if the system doesn't launch during holiday season. If there was an exploit found and released now (and depending on the scope and target of the exploit), Nintendo would have a chance to fix it prior to more vigorous sales. This would be the best time for such a hole to be found and plugged.

The NDS, for example, sold less than 3 million units the first holiday season. One year later, they've sold 14 million. If the exploit had been discovered and exploited after that year, all 14 million units would be exploitable.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
nando said:
isaac

but then you are giving developers a false sense of security that could hurt them even more. first sales are good so they invest a lot more money in the next game which bombs because of piracy and now they are at a worse place.

i can exagerates too

Of course! This can also happen. But if we're looking at our benefits we'll get two games this way: one we bought, and the next which bombed and we pirated. instead of pirating the first and not getting the second at all. There's always two sides, just seems like the one I'm not parting with don't want to try to understand what the other side says.

and to further develop how My train of thought goes on the "if buy first, more will buy later when piracy is an option" thing:
New game company Y develops a game: X!
a lot of kids thinks it looks cool and decides to buy it, they fall in love.
six months later, the flashcards has come, and X2! is released. the kids who loved X! might think, "I want this as well, since I own the first one".
If the kids pirates it first, and love it, they might buy it, but those who don't probably won't buy the second game either. see what I'm going at?

Not justifing anything, just saying waiting a few months will be better for the system than having a piracy device two days after release.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna have to agree with the first post.

Everyone who thinks it's wrong and feels the need to tell this to others, look at what you actually pay for. If it's not 100% of what you own, shut the fuck up.
Hell, even if it is 100% of what you own, no one wants to hear the self-righteous shit spewing from your mouth/finger tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +1