Gaming Extremely unpopular opinion: too many people hate consoles (specifically the switch) for not being as powerful of a gaming pc

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there is a good chance Switch 2 will be out soon, so the Steam Deck will have something fairer to compare to. As for the haters, the Switch and the growing handheld PC market shows that not everyone needs the strongest hardware.

Reactions: any_name_you_wish

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I see way too many pc gamers complain that the switch isn't as powerful as their some thousand dollar setup.

yes, the Nintendo switch IS underpowered. but some people expect way too much out of portables nowadays. I understand wanting a switch with better specs. but some people want stuff like 16k-uhd 240fps path racing with no lag or similar out of the switch 2; completely forgetting that most people don't care about that stuff anyway. and this is not just a blind Nintendo fanboy moment; even the ps5 gets the same treatment. Nintendo has almost always been gameplay quality over visual/performance quality. and also, they need to keep the costs down for people to actually buy the console. that's why the switch sold so well, it wasn't too expensive and has good games. there are parents (like mine) who work tirelessly to provide for their family barely having any extra money to spend on other things, and not all of them have the money to buy a 700$~ portable console just for their toddler. if Nintendo caves in to these complaints too much and makes the next switch the most powerful console on the market. I can guarantee you that it will be the GameCube of this generation (minus the disk issue).

if you really are looking for power, just buy a steam deck or an rog ally and emulate stuff on it instead of complaining.

also on a similar note, stop comparing the switch to the steam deck. aside from the being able to play games, they are black and white different.
Post automatically merged:

I will die on this hill.
Granted the Steam Deck and the Switch use completely different architectures, the comparison still needs to be made. It's not unreasonable to expect close to Steam Deck levels of performance out of the Switch 2.

The Switch 2 will most likely target a MSRP of around $399, it will definitely be higher than the Switch (even the Switch went up in price since its launch and inflation has affected everything, so it's not reasonable to expect a similar launch price)
That is the same MSRP as the base Steam Deck, and I bet you the Switch 2 won't have a NVMe SSD in it.
Meaning in theory, they should be able to accomplish similar enough performance for a similar price (and obviously, if the price is similar, people will expect similar performance)

Now, I don't want the Switch to be huge, hot and noisy with pathetic battery life like the Steam Deck, which is why I specified close to.
Dial back the power requirements by about 30% and you can have a more reasonably sized and more efficient handheld, that would still be able to churn out some good graphics and framerates (helped by the fact that ARM is a much more efficient architecture)
They have to find a good balance of efficiency and power. I think the Steam Deck sacrificed efficiency too much for the sake of power, I mean yeah, you can use a more efficient performance profile to save battery and heat but you are not saving size or bulk. For a PC that is still acceptable since the Steam Deck largely targets PC gamers who are used to much bigger laptops, for a handheld console targeted at Nintendo's existing audience size matters way more.

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
While both the Switch and Steam Deck primarily exist to sell software for their companies they are different products aimed at different audiences. The business model of software sales is also different for both companies.

Both are highly successful products, so clearly there are lots of people who like each option. I don’t know why anyone would care if someone who the product wasn’t made for doesn’t like that product.

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
People don't like the switch, not because it's weak, but because it's weak compared to an actual, thinner, smaller, phone

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I'm saying is if you don't like something, don't buy it. And stop bitching about it. Spend your money on something else you think is better. Get a pc and emulate the shit out of nintendo's software. As with anything.

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
What I'm saying is if you don't like something, don't buy it. And stop bitching about it. Spend your money on something else you think is better. Get a pc and emulate the shit out of nintendo's software. As with anything.
no joke, i agree with this so hard
Post automatically merged:

just because the modders and emulators do it "better", it doesn't mean that Nintendo is the bad one for not having 16k 240 fps raytracing on Switch

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, two of the most popular indie games from the past 8 years are 8 bit (Undertale) and 16 bit (Pizza Tower).
Exactly. Tetris runs on a game boy and if I want to play Cyberpunk at 4k60 then I put my money towards a proper pc if I can afford it. While the switch isn't particularly comfortable, I love mine but I don't play unoptimized half-assed games on it.

and then there are people who are like: "Ummm, Tetris doesn't have 4k 120fps with raytracing? pass. 0/10"
It's all subjective and they're entitled to their opinion yadda yadda but I think most of the gaming community would regard that game as one of the greats, raytraced or not.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, we already know some of the specs of the switch 2, more or less. It'll be based on the T234 processor, but have some current tech added to it, and unnecessary stuff removed. Think around 2050 or 3050 mobile or so, but optimized out the wazoo with some 40-series tech included. The customized chip is call the T239. It'll have dlss, so nintendo will be able to put out current gen games at lower resolution/detail and pump up that dlss so it's playable. Since it's the same architecture as the switch, it'll be backward compatible, and could make switch 1 games look better with dlss. and have faster loading times. that alone would make it a solid purchase for me.

It won't be some 5090 powerhouse like some folks want, I agree. It's not going to be current gen, but that just means it'll probably hit that 300-350 price-point I'm sure they're aiming for. Thankfully It'll probably also not be emmc based storage and will use whatever cheapest tech they can find that also ensures the required faster loading times of modern games. Fingers crossed it's as "instant" as ps5/xboxsx as that type of storage has seen its prices dropped significantly.

Really, it's just down to the "gimmick". Fingers crossed it's fun.

Last edited by osaka35,

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Well, we already know some of the specs of the switch 2, more or less. It'll be based on the T234 processor, but have some current tech added to it, and unnecessary stuff removed. Think around 2050 or 3050 mobile or so, but optimized out the wazoo with some 40-series tech included. The customized chip is call the T239. It'll have dlss, so nintendo will be able to put out current gen games at lower resolution/detail and pump up that dlss so it's playable. Since it's the same architecture as the switch, it'll be backward compatible, and could make switch 1 games look better with dlss. and have faster loading times. that alone would make it a solid purchase for me.

It won't be some 5090 powerhouse like some folks want, I agree. It's not going to be current gen, but that just means it'll probably hit that 300-350 price-point I'm sure they're aiming for. Thankfully It'll probably also not be emmc based storage and will use whatever cheapest tech they can find that also ensures the required faster loading times of modern games. Fingers crossed it's as "instant" as ps5/xboxsx as that type of storage has seen its prices dropped significantly.

Really, it's just down to the "gimmick". Fingers crossed it's fun.
the entire reason I made this entire post was because someone looked at these specs and called them "a hard pass"

which i don't agree with at all.

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the entire reason I made this entire post was because someone looked at these specs and called them "a hard pass"

which i don't agree with at all.
yeah, folks get hung up on specs, I'm with you.

what people forget is these chips are custom made. a normal gpu has to put up with overhead+limitations of windows os, and other oses. Plus, normal gpus have a lot of general+specific purpose code and hardware stuff which just aren't needed for a gaming console. strip all the fat out, add some necessary stuff like extra features/hardware/support and vram, streamline the code, and bam.

consoles can do all sorts of crazy stuff you wouldn't expect from a spec sheet alone. I mean, the switch can do some crazy stuff with its super old architecture and feature-set. it's maxwell based, so think 6 generation of video cards behind the switch 2 (from 700, 800, 900, 1000, 2000, to 3000. current is 4000 series cards).

so something with a mix of current and this last generation nvidia tech, Switch 2 should do...perfectly fine. nothing mind-blowing, but it doesn't have to. It's more about the matured development, cheaper tech, and solid enough speeds for the next 5 years. opens a lot of doors. and that's what matters.

I still want instant loading though. it's the #1 thing which annoys me about the switch.

Last edited by osaka35,

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
and there were also people who were like: "It probably has the power of a 2014 work laptop"
and also: "Haha Nintendo fans are stupid, they like games that run on 30 fps and everyone will buy the switch2 LOL They're so dumb am I right guys?"

these people don't enjoy the games. they like looking at the game and then thinking: "My PC is better than this. that means I'm better than them"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto