Gaming Extremely unpopular opinion: too many people hate consoles (specifically the switch) for not being as powerful of a gaming pc

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I see way too many pc gamers complain that the switch isn't as powerful as their some thousand dollar setup.

yes, the Nintendo switch IS underpowered. but some people expect way too much out of portables nowadays. I understand wanting a switch with better specs. but some people want stuff like 16k-uhd 240fps path racing with no lag or similar out of the switch 2; completely forgetting that most people don't care about that stuff anyway. and this is not just a blind Nintendo fanboy moment; even the ps5 gets the same treatment. Nintendo has almost always been gameplay quality over visual/performance quality. and also, they need to keep the costs down for people to actually buy the console. that's why the switch sold so well, it wasn't too expensive and has good games. there are parents (like mine) who work tirelessly to provide for their family barely having any extra money to spend on other things, and not all of them have the money to buy a 700$~ portable console just for their toddler. if Nintendo caves in to these complaints too much and makes the next switch the most powerful console on the market. I can guarantee you that it will be the GameCube of this generation (minus the disk issue).

if you really are looking for power, just buy a steam deck or an rog ally and emulate stuff on it instead of complaining.

also on a similar note, stop comparing the switch to the steam deck. aside from the being able to play games, they are black and white different.
Post automatically merged:

I will die on this hill.

Reactions: cvskid and Blythe93

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Before I started collecting Nintendo consoles, handhelds and accessories back in 2021, I wasn't much of a console/handheld guy, I played my games only on PC be it native or via emulators for some GBA games. Not that I hated console (well, other than still not being able to properly play FPS games on the consoles due to being used to mouse and keyboard combo for so long) but after seeing what these things can do, I was rather impressed. Quality of gameplay over visuals was always the thing I appreciated the most.

Bottom line, Switch is an awesome console in my opinion, just like each and every console (and their gimmicks) out there as well. They are good for what they are.
(Well, except for those 3000-in-1 games consoles, they are... something, and it's definitely not good.)

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Before I started collecting Nintendo consoles, handhelds and accessories back in 2021, I wasn't much of a console/handheld guy, I played my games only on PC be it native or via emulators for some GBA games. Not that I hated console (well, other than still not being able to properly play FPS games on the consoles due to being used to mouse and keyboard combo for so long) but after seeing what these things can do, I was rather impressed. Quality of gameplay over visuals was always the thing I appreciated the most.

Bottom line, Switch is an awesome console in my opinion, just like each and every console (and their gimmicks) out there as well. They are good for what they are.
(Well, except for those 3000-in-1 games consoles, they are... something, and it's definitely not good.)
I agree, some people think that the only way for a game to be good, is if it runs at a constant 60fps or more.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I always have a giggle when people complain about the performance issues of the Switch and try to claim Nintendo's previous consoles had better performance. The N64 was technically able to run at 60 fps, almost no games actually achieved that reliably. Same with the SNES (albeit a bigger chunk of the library did reach 60fps in most scenarios), same with the GameBoy (Link's Awakening had more slowdowns on the GB than on the Switch, only the DX version managed to improve that), NES had plenty of games running at 30fps, and so on.
Keeping costs down has always been a main point for Nintendo, particularly since more power also equaled less playtime on a handheld.

The main reason the GB sold so well was because 4 AA's lasted up to 30 hours of playtime, a GameGear with better graphics drained 6 AA's in 5 hours or less (more often a lot less).

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I always have a giggle when people complain about the performance issues of the Switch and try to claim Nintendo's previous consoles had better performance. The N64 was technically able to run at 60 fps, almost no games actually achieved that reliably. Same with the SNES (albeit a bigger chunk of the library did reach 60fps in most scenarios), same with the GameBoy (Link's Awakening had more slowdowns on the GB than on the Switch, only the DX version managed to improve that), NES had plenty of games running at 30fps, and so on.
Keeping costs down has always been a main point for Nintendo, particularly since more power also equaled less playtime on a handheld.

The main reason the GB sold so well was because 4 AA's lasted up to 30 hours of playtime, a GameGear with better graphics drained 6 AA's in 5 hours or less (more often a lot less).
PC gamers really be wanting a new game gear but for Nintendo

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see way too many pc gamers complain that the switch isn't as powerful as their some thousand dollar setup.

yes, the Nintendo switch IS underpowered. but some people expect way too much out of portables nowadays. I understand wanting a switch with better specs. but some people want stuff like 16k-uhd 240fps path racing with no lag or similar out of the switch 2; completely forgetting that most people don't care about that stuff anyway. and this is not just a blind Nintendo fanboy moment; even the ps5 gets the same treatment. Nintendo has almost always been gameplay quality over visual/performance quality. and also, they need to keep the costs down for people to actually buy the console. that's why the switch sold so well, it wasn't too expensive and has good games. there are parents (like mine) who work tirelessly to provide for their family barely having any extra money to spend on other things, and not all of them have the money to buy a 700$~ portable console just for their toddler. if Nintendo caves in to these complaints too much and makes the next switch the most powerful console on the market. I can guarantee you that it will be the GameCube of this generation (minus the disk issue).

if you really are looking for power, just buy a steam deck or an rog ally and emulate stuff on it instead of complaining.

also on a similar note, stop comparing the switch to the steam deck. aside from the being able to play games, they are black and white different.

I will die on this hill.
Hater like to hate, if not this then that. Until they pull out a gun no point paying attention.

This will never change, just wait for Switch 2 to come out and you will hear the exact same thing they said about Switch.

Even if you put Switch 2 on a manpack and put in the power of a few 5090 it will be the same. If not this then that, remember there is always something to hate.

While the Nintendo fan sings "never gonna give you up, never gonna put you down, never never lah lah lah ", this will probably also never change no matter what the hater says ( except when they pull a gun and kill the fan ). Kids can be very dangerous when they have access to guns.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have no opinion at all about the Nintendo Switch being "less" powerful than PCs. But I have seen people hating the Switch for a myriad other reasons, like: the Wii U is better.

Someone even claimed a dOvetastic video (which is now gone) to be their favorite, where a Nintendo Switch is destroyed inside a microwave. They would watch it every time as an excuse to not support the Switch and its games.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I do get both sides of this argument as my opinions have changed over the years.

In the PSX / N64 days 3D games on consoles did not look good compared to the PC. In all fairness to the PlayStation it had some impressive looking games, multiplatform games on the PC just generally looked better as you were playing at a much higher resolution by default, so it really was noticeable if you were a PC gamer.

Even at the time I thought the N64 graphics looked bad, they have certainly not aged well. That said people seemed to like the gameplay of the exclusive games.

That's how I generally feel about the Switch today. I own a Switch for the few game franchises I enjoy that are not on any other platform. In general these play fine with the exception of Scarlet and Violet. That said I really did enjoy Scarlet and Violet as much as I don't think it was acceptable it shipped in the state it did.

TLDR - I got older and just play whatever I enjoy on whatever platform suits me.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Live and let live. On the same note: don't take it personally if someone denigrates the platform you enjoy. Just keep playing whatever you like and enjoy it. The petty squabbles over what's better than whatever else are a time-waster, and that's time that could be spent doing anything more productive.

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
thank you everyone for reminding me that good and bad must coexist. and as for any and all forum websites, there are two types of posters:
1. the toxic ones who never help you.
2. the friendly ones who try to help.

Reactions: Blythe93

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
i mean the steam deck gets it right...
comparing the steam deck to the switch is like comparing chalk to flour and then saying the flour is bad for not being able to make good homes. they're completely different and meant for different audiences. other than the fact that they're both portable and for games, they are completely different in everything else. it's an unfair fight.

PC gamers are honestly the vegans of gaming, fite me
Worse, they're like the petas and bible thumpers of gaming

Last edited by any_name_you_wish,

ichig0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im perfectly happy with my (im)perfect visual experience on the Switch. Imo they more than make up for the loss in visual fidelity with truly vibrant and imaginative worlds.

Reactions: any_name_you_wish

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For reference, I have a powerful PC, a Series X, and an OLED.
I understand this argument, because raw power isn't the only factor to consider in the 'betterness' of a PC vs a game console. Just because a PC can output nicer graphics does not make it objectively better.
I use my Xbox more than my PC, because I have many more games on it than my PC. Is my PC statistically better? Absolutely. Do I like it better than my Xbox?
Well, yes, but that's mostly because I built it myself and I'm quite proud of it. I don't like it over my Xbox because of computing power. That being said, the Series X is a stellar console and I don't feel like I'm "missing out" because my PC could run the same game at 20FPS higher.
As for the Switch, I feel like it's severely underpowered, and usually emulate Switch games on my PC instead. After all, I absolutely think BotW deserves to be playable in higher resolution than 1080p, simply because of the scale of the game. But even that's for specific circumstances and not representative of the system as a whole. I like the Switch for it's versatility and ease for playing with friends, etc.
TLDR, the "PC is better because it's more powerful" argument is a hasty generalization, and not representative of the different attributes of each console. Power alone does not determine a console's success--I need only to point to the Game Boy, which was outperformed by almost every other portable console in the mid-90's, but still prevailed far over them all.

Reactions: any_name_you_wish

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
For reference, I have a powerful PC, a Series X, and an OLED.
I understand this argument, because raw power isn't the only factor to consider in the 'betterness' of a PC vs a game console. Just because a PC can output nicer graphics does not make it objectively better.
I use my Xbox more than my PC, because I have many more games on it than my PC. Is my PC statistically better? Absolutely. Do I like it better than my Xbox?
Well, yes, but that's mostly because I built it myself and I'm quite proud of it. I don't like it over my Xbox because of computing power. That being said, the Series X is a stellar console and I don't feel like I'm "missing out" because my PC could run the same game at 20FPS higher.
As for the Switch, I feel like it's severely underpowered, and usually emulate Switch games on my PC instead. After all, I absolutely think BotW deserves to be playable in higher resolution than 1080p, simply because of the scale of the game. But even that's for specific circumstances and not representative of the system as a whole. I like the Switch for it's versatility and ease for playing with friends, etc.
TLDR, the "PC is better because it's more powerful" argument is a hasty generalization, and not representative of the different attributes of each console. Power alone does not determine a console's success--I need only to point to the Game Boy, which was outperformed by almost every other portable console in the mid-90's, but still prevailed far over them all.
I agree, I think the switch is very underpowered. but there are SOME PC gamers who think that just because the switch isn't 4k at 60fps it makes all games on it unplayable trash. like I have a pretty beefy PC. but I almost always choose my switch over my PC in terms of games.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
PCs aren't superior to consoles because of their specs, they are superior to consoles because of better backwards compatibility :ha:

Worse, they're like peta for gamers.
They steal gamers from homes and euthanize them? :unsure:

BlackDarkHannes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
comparing the steam deck to the switch is like comparing chalk to flour and then saying the flour is bad for not being able to make good homes. they're completely different and meant for different audiences. other than the fact that they're both portable and for games, they are completely different in everything else. it's an unfair fight.

Worse, they're like peta for gamers.
you may be right. aksed khejli grashange <3

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
PCs aren't superior to consoles because of their specs, they are superior to consoles because of better backwards compatibility :ha:

They steal gamers from homes and euthanize them? :unsure:
You know how Peta constantly says: "Remember, that chicken was a living being at some point"
PC gamers say: "you know, you could always buy the PC port or emulate it on PC. and it runs better too"

Exactly. Tetris runs on a game boy and if I want to play Cyberpunk at 4k60 then I put my money towards a proper pc if I can afford it. While the switch isn't particularly comfortable, I love mine but I don't play unoptimized half-assed games on it.
and then there are people who are like: "Ummm, Tetris doesn't have 4k 120fps with raytracing? pass. 0/10"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto