Not open for further replies.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crass said:
Piracy didn't kill the Dreamcast, it may have caused the publishers to loose confidence in it, but back in 1999-2001 very few people had cd burners, high speed internet, or the know-how to convert their own GD-Roms to CD-rs. Dreamcast piracy didn't really get big until well after the Dreamcast was released, and by then it was already on its deathbed. Sega killed the Dreamcast, that and the PS2.
ok, ok I get it. I wasn't born when the dreamcast was out, so I didn't really know much about it.

thegame07

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rowan said:
So wait, pirating a game a games company doesn't sell any more isn't any worse than pirating a game that is currently being sold. The only person piracy of old games affects is the person selling it.

You missed the point of my thread and a few others did as well . The point isn't about how much damage people are doing. The point of the thread is people being hypocrites about piracy. You can't lecture someone about downloading something when you do the same on another system or with music.

We are seeing posts like "GO BUY THE DAMN GAME PIRATE" "OMG ZELDA DESERVES TO BE BOUGHT" then the same people are logging off gbatemp and downloading music or a game on another system.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
emigre said:
It does. Digital downloads, don't buy N64 games from a local store, buy from the Wii shop. Especially with Technology is going, they could potentially put every game ever made up available for digital distribution. Ergo eliminating a reason to pirate old games.
And if you don't own a Wii or the game you want is so uncommon that it's not in the wii shop and most likely wouldn't be in it?
Or even PS1 games and you lack a PS3 to buy there?
I am not for the favor of piracy, I am just putting that out there.
I do try my best to buy the games I can, but at some point it's not something I am always able to do.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Duskye said:
Puppy_Washer said:
Duskye said:
Puppy_Washer said:
Schlupi said:
Piracy at the start of a system's life = death.

Remember the DreamCast? Remember what happened when people found out they could burn CD-Rs and they didn't need to buy games?

I had SO MANY friends with CD-Rs of Sonic Adventure and Crazi Taxi only a half a year or so after the launch, and I see why it didn't do so hot.
That is entirely not the reason that the Dreamcast was a failure.
It was probably the biggest reason.
No.
It was released a year prior to the PS2, it was doomed from the beginning. Additionally, the Dreamcast had poor marketing.
Piracy has never been mentioned in relation to the Dreamcasts failure.
It was doomed because another console was released after it? I don't see that as it being it's downfall. Piracy probably wasn't the biggest, but part of it.

To the mind of the average gamer: spend 200 bucks of a Sega system, which after the Saturn a lot of people had lost confidence in, or wait a year and get a PS2, that's fully backwards compatible with PS1 games, comes with a DVD player (back then DVDs were just getting popular, and the players were still expensive) and has the backing of a shitload of good publishers. A lot of people held on to their cash and waited for the PS2 unfortunately.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Crass said:
Piracy didn't kill the Dreamcast, it may have caused the publishers to loose confidence in it, but back in 1999-2001 very few people had cd burners, high speed internet, or the know-how to convert their own GD-Roms to CD-rs. Dreamcast piracy didn't really get big until well after the Dreamcast was released, and by then it was already on its deathbed. Sega killed the Dreamcast, that and the PS2.

i was hard into gaming when the dreamcast was around and it just wasn't popular. i didn't know a single person that had one or wanted one. i saw the demos at the store but people were lining up for pokemon photo safari or whatever the hell it was.

the popularity it gained later on was probably due to piracy.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If people are gonna bitch at people for pirating games I suggest you go to 'Official Nintendo forums' or something because while GBAtemp doesn't provide pirated wares or even condone it, the majority (90-95 %) of users here are or have been pirates at some point.

And like I always say, if you never had the intention of buying it in the first place (honestly), why not pirate it? Who knows you might even want to buy it after pirating it. (Yes that has happened to me with the orange box.)

Rogue_Syst3m

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadLocked said:
If people are gonna bitch at people for pirating games I suggest you go to 'Official Nintendo forums' or something because while GBAtemp doesn't provide pirated wares or even condone it, the majority (90-95 %) of users here are or have been pirates at some point.

And like I always say, if you never had the intention of buying it in the first place (honestly), why not pirate it? Who knows you might even want to buy it after pirating it. (Yes that has happened to me with the orange box.)

agreed, go whine somewhere else

Chesskid1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you guys think game companies would rather you ignore their game completely and never even play it or pay attention to it at all, or to download it illegally and maybe post about how you liked it on a message board or tell a friend about how awesome it was, or maybe you buy the sequel or the game somewhere down the line?

smile.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thegame07 said:
You missed the point of my thread and a few others did as well . The point isn't about how much damage people are doing. The point of the thread is people being hypocrites about piracy. You can't lecture someone about downloading something when you do the same on another system or with music.

We are seeing posts like "GO BUY THE DAMN GAME PIRATE" "OMG ZELDA DESERVES TO BE BOUGHT" then the same people are logging off gbatemp and downloading music or a game on another system.
GLC boy isn't saying "You do piracy? What wrong with man!!!!" and just go pirate himself.

He saying " Fine do piracy. Just do it in a well time and manner."

For some who outright pirate just to pirate, have something to pirate from.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey, fair enough.
I play downloaded games because I can, I know how and I spent the money to buy the " Tools ", tools being for example my $180 F2A 256MB for the GBA back in the day, and that ain't cheap.
Over the years I spent a fortune in buying video games which I barely played in most cases, now I download anything that it might look interesting for my systems of choice ( PC , Wii or DS ) and play what I can.
My problem is, that I got too much to choose from, and after a while it gets boring even to begin with a new game and force myself to finish it.
So I pray for the day when anti-piracy measures will be so effective and hack proof that I will be forced to buy games again, this way I will have much less to play with and maybe I'll even appreciate more what I got.
As it stands, it's not my fault that piracy has become so ridiculously easy. Why waste time and go to buy something when I can just download it within minutes from the comfort of my desk chair ?
Also the last thing I need in my already full of crap studio apartment is more boxes, instructions booklets and cases to store all the acquired electronic entertainment.
So I'll download while I can, but hey, when they actually do something about it, I'll change my attitude.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
KingVamp said:
thegame07 said:

GLC boy isn't saying "You do piracy? What wrong with man!!!!" and just go pirate himself.

Thanks
happy.gif
Someone understands what I am getting at.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chesskid1 said:
do you guys think game companies would rather you ignore their game completely and never even play it or pay attention to it at all, or to download it illegally and maybe post about how you liked it on a message board or tell a friend about how awesome it was, or maybe you buy the sequel or the game somewhere down the line?

smile.gif
I think they'd rather have you buy the game.
smile.gif

Discover

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe piracy is entirely fine to pursue. In reality, your putting a file on something with ASCII characters with a format that can be read.
It's like:

"±§!23@r£±2§±" if you take that then you're bad and will get arrested.

Anyone agrees with me?

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
KingVamp said:
thegame07 said:

Thanks
happy.gif
Someone understands what I am getting at.
i see what your saying. i do pirate old games as well. some retro psx games will never hit psn such as Tomba! and i honestly say i don't like pirating even though i do i wanna start legit when i get a 3ds which is when i get a job. i will also buy all the ds games i have on my cad not that its going to the company at this point.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Urza said:
OP is 100% correct.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong.
We love you Urza.

Yes, I pirate. No, I don't give a fuck.

Seriously, those whining and bitching about people who pirate should just go and jump off a cliff, you're not going to change anyone into not pirating.
Those game developers should first decide to make good games or sell them for less. Seriously, I don't want to pay 40 bucks for a game that I can beat in 5 hours (95% of the DS library is culprit). I don't want to fucking go to a store, I'm lazy as all fuck in a jar. The only vendor that does well in my opinion is Steam.
And even Steam sucks. I mean, $=€? What. Teh. Flying. Fuck.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look, 100% of the people in this world are hypocrites at some point in their life, get over it. Piracy is wrong, it's fact. I don't support piracy. Do I do it? Yes. It's so easy, the only reason I buy any game today is because I can't pirate it, or because I like the game, and I want to support the devs. I also have never bought a single album or song. Ever. Many of the musicians I follow on Jamendo hate the music industry. Not only because the squander talent in favour of money, but the entire allure of money changes people.

The day that there is no way to pirate anything, is the day that I stop. It's wrong, and I know it, but do I give two shits? No.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm with the catboy on this.

I do pirate DS games, and I buy those I can / want. The majority of the games i try are deleted within a few minutes anyway. Doesn't justify it, but that's how I do...

However, I wish the 3DS won't be hacked anytime soon, why? Well as the catboy says: Give the handheld a fair chance first! Buy the games, enjoy the console as it is, and provide ground for publishers and developers to continue developing and publishing awesome stuff.
Let's say 1,000,000 want to buy Street fighter, yay, successfull!
now if it was hacked already, many would be cheap asses and just download tha gaemz, maybe selling 500,000? and another 3,000,000 downloaders?
Yea, I'm exaggerating, but the first few years (months) of a consoles life is very important and it's future depends on sales and stuff from this first period.

tl;dr

Buy games and don't pirate for starters, give the console a big push to make the ball start rolling then do what the f you want.

princefarzan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm with OP 100%. If your a pirate your a pirate, I don't want to hear your excuses or why you pirated it or how it's not available in your region, your a pirate. End of story. It's like telling someone not to do drugs while your doing it. You want to be a preacher? Then stop pirating 100% and stop giving excuses as to why your pirating, I don't want to hear your justifications as I've heard them all before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Please click all suspicious links sent your email