Gaming Extremely unpopular opinion: too many people hate consoles (specifically the switch) for not being as powerful of a gaming pc

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Every time a new Nintendo console is announced, some portion of the userbase immediately forgets the last 20 years of Nintendo's market strategy and start speculating that the next one will be a powerhouse in direct competition with the current gen PS or Xbox, start throwing wild numbers around, and are then extremely disappointed when it turns out Nintendo is still pursuing the money-printing strategy of lower powered hardware plus exclusives.

People don't buy consoles for bleeding edge specs. A console doesn't even have the most powerful hardware available at the time at launch, and over its 6-7 year lifetime it will get outpaced and outdated several times over. People buy consoles for the convenience of having a plug-n-play solution out of the box, and for the exclusives.

any_name_you_wish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Every time a new Nintendo console is announced, some portion of the userbase immediately forgets the last 20 years of Nintendo's market strategy and start speculating that the next one will be a powerhouse in direct competition with the current gen PS or Xbox, start throwing wild numbers around, and are then extremely disappointed when it turns out Nintendo is still pursuing the money-printing strategy of lower powered hardware plus exclusives.

People don't buy consoles for bleeding edge specs. A console doesn't even have the most powerful hardware available at the time at launch, and over its 6-7 year lifetime it will get outpaced and outdated several times over. People buy consoles for the convenience of having a plug-n-play solution out of the box, and for the exclusives.
wow! it's almost as if Nintendo's whole thing is cheaper hardware, better games! 🤯🤯🤯

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the necrobump, but I agree (for the most part) that people miss the point of consoles and will ALWAYS complain that one isn't as good as a PC. even in the PC groups, people want to shit on people for using old hardware, even though it's cheaper and perfectly viable. I do disagree that the Steam Deck and Switch are for completely different market segments. the Steam Deck is 100 percent trying to compete with the Switch. I prefer PC gaming and the Deck over the Switch, but not for it's performance, but for it's versatility and the fact that I don't have a company locking me down to what I can do with the hardware, but that is subjective to me, and not anybody else.

tl;dr If you're happy with your consoles, than great! ain't nothing wrong with that, and I absolutely agree that PCs and consoles are targeting largely different markets. the Steam Deck though is trying to bridge that gap, and I don't think it's unfair to compare the switch to the Steam Deck, but I do agree they're wildly different at the same time.

For me, I think chasing miniscule performance gains is a fools game, and for that reason, I constantly get called "poor" for running a perfectly viable 5-year old CPU and 7-year old GPU. so I totally get where the aggrivations come from when it comes to the PC/console comparisons. I think they're stupid and as long as you enjoy what you're playing on, that's all that matters!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto