Ship of Harkinian (Ocarina of Time) 3DS Port

Evilengine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Since there are already Switch and Wii U Ports and Super Mario 64 on 3DS is really cool with the Stereo 3D, is there any chance of a 3DS Port ever? It would be so cool, to have the right analog stick for the camera on 3DS... I always wished Nintendo implemented that like on Majoras Mask 3D... :)
I couldn't find anything through search on that, so maybe the right person can see it here and decides to port it. *wish*

Reactions: retrospect

Evilengine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That game, but since it was completely reverse engineered and natively ported to PC and other systems, with many improvements over official version and ports, it would be really cool for the homebrew scene on 3DS.

It is really a nice feel, different than emulation. Also moving the camera is really a reason to play it again, it was really good to experience that in Majora..
And since N64 games are very simple, they work really well in stereo 3D imho.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so maybe the right person can see it here and decides to port it.
Well, gee, I'm sure no one else was interested in that before and never even thought about doing it, but now that you've wished for it the Internet elves are going to get right on it. :glare:

I would love to hack codes for it using pcsx2.
You can also learn how the source code works and "hack codes" all you want.

Evilengine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, gee, I'm sure no one else was interested in that before and never even thought about doing it, but now that you've wished for it the Internet elves are going to get right on it. :glare:
I am really glad you agree.
But honestly, sometimes I made comments on homebrew software and games, even contacted developers here and there and saw the implementation or at least seriously considering a good idea. I even donated sometimes. There was a tad of irony in saying it like that, as I know of course it is a lot of work. But since really no one opened a thread about it, So lets talk about it here and show some interest beyond silent thoughts.
I am not a developer, so I don't know all the steps necessary to do such a project.
Since these reverse engineered ports pop up more and more, and Zelda is a big franchise, OOT ports getting a lot of attention and the Majoras Mask PC port almost ready, it's not too unrealistic to see OOT 3DS HB port becoming a reality at one point.
Post automatically merged:

I want it on PS2. I would love to hack codes for it using pcsx2.
The more platforms, the better. Don't you think, that can be done in like all versions, also the N64? Or has PCSX2 very specific codes?

Reactions: _47iscool

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it's not too unrealistic to see OOT 3DS HB port becoming a reality at one point.
Maybe so, but whether or not such a port happens is very unlikely to be much influenced by whether someone "shows some interest beyond silent thoughts" compared to other factors.

Besides, it's a 25-year-old game that's playable on numerous other platforms already and is already playable on the 3DS. I don't think it would really be that interesting just to play through it yet again just having the "right analog stick for the camera". But eh, that's just me.

Reactions: CoolMe

Evilengine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I understand that position, but showing some interest can definitely help.

Look, a general thing. Most projects discussed on gbatemp could be seen as useless by someone.
Honestly, when I heard the first time about Super Mario 64 ported to PC, I just was completely uninterested, since we have it emulated on so many devices. Maybe even wondering why anyone wants to put a lot of work into it. Then I played it and understood. Today I found a nice update with a new Mario model and 60 FPS patch, and yeah you can do that in an emulator, but who cares. There are so many more improvements beyond that. Same for Ship of Harkinian OoT.

Ocarina of Time is not just ANY game, it always had this "Best Game Ever Made" label for many. Everybodya loves that game, who is interested in "traditional gaming" or grew up with it. So SoH goes beyond just porting the game identically. I am very sure it allows so many ways to modify, upgrade and change it. OoT 3D by Nintendo is alright, but not perfect and closed source.
SoH is like the perfect open source OoT engine, that you can maybe even use to create new games, 4 player mode, online play, even Nintendo made a remix that I liked to play on Gamecube.

There are many people working on Ocarina of Time related projects, just a few days ago someone posted this on gbatemp:

Would be perfect to have a 3DS port in the pipeline already, so when projects like this reach a status where we can use it, it can also be played on 3DS.

Same for retroarch and similar projects. It is just good to access on many platforms. Old ones, new ones, all getting updates, like Linux. There are many people who can't afford the latest devices nor many of them, so that is why I just like it, that some people keep the scene alive with homebrew projects and Aftermarket games.

There are so many quirky nice little developments nowadays, I find it super amazing. There were always people asking for example "why do we need custom firmware on DS, we have flashcarts" but more than often proven wrong by what happened progressively.

So to answer your question, it is more than just a camera movement, more than a widescreen patch, its the possibility for anything anyone can imagine, which goes a step further than just romhacking.

Here the Super Mario 64 *.cia QR Code, easy to install from FBI:
https://twitter.com/sm643ds?lang=de

Reactions: cvskid

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That game, but since it was completely reverse engineered and natively ported to PC and other systems, with many improvements over official version and ports, it would be really cool for the homebrew scene on 3DS.

It is really a nice feel, different than emulation. Also moving the camera is really a reason to play it again, it was really good to experience that in Majora..
And since N64 games are very simple, they work really well in stereo 3D imho.

Analog camera is already possible on the OoT3D with the randomizer: https://github.com/gamestabled/OoT3D_Randomizer . There is a preset to disable the rando logic and only enable the QoL features like the analog camera, faster bunny mask, no Ocarina replay, etc. You can even put the Master Quest dungeons in without the mirroring thing.

Works pretty much flawlessly, feels even better than Majora's 3DS camera.

Still, I agree it would be cool to see the OG Ocarina on the 3DS.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also learn how the source code works and "hack codes" all you want.

I'm not a programmer, but I know how to change address values for certain CPU's to make ASM codes. The most difficult and time-consuming code I have ever made was a walk though walls code for Hitman Blood Money on PS2. I actually made multiple versions of it, but they were problematic in different ways. The final code (which has multiple lines) works flawless.

Most of my codes are here: https://gamehacking.org/hackers/47iscool

Last edited by _47iscool,

Evilengine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Analog camera is already possible on the OoT3D with the randomizer: https://github.com/gamestabled/OoT3D_Randomizer . There is a preset to disable the rando logic and only enable the QoL features like the analog camera, faster bunny mask, no Ocarina replay, etc. You can even put the Master Quest dungeons in without the mirroring thing.

Works pretty much flawlessly, feels even better than Majora's 3DS camera.

Still, I agree it would be cool to see the OG Ocarina on the 3DS.
ah that is great, I just installed it on my 3DS, but i am not sure about the preset, can you show me the one you are talking about? In the randomizer I only see inverted camera, but I can't activate the analog control on it.
https://wiki.ootrandomizer.com/index.php?title=Presets
If the bunny ears are like MM, I really need them! :)

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Look, a general thing. Most projects discussed on gbatemp could be seen as useless by someone.
Yes, and even though no one started threads about them, people made them anyway.

Ocarina of Time is not just ANY game, it always had this "Best Game Ever Made" label for many. Everybodya loves that game, who is interested in "traditional gaming" or grew up with it.
Well, that just makes this thread increasingly redundant. No one's going to hesitate to port something like that merely out of a potentially perceived lack of interest!

SoH is like the perfect open source OoT engine, that you can maybe even use to create new games, 4 player mode, online play, even Nintendo made a remix that I liked to play on Gamecube.
And maybe quality new content might be worth getting excited about. But the same levels people have been playing for 25 years, unchanged, yet again?

I'm vaguely aware that there are already some very thorough and well-regarded hacks for OoT that run on native hardware. Why not play those, and start threads about them? Because, y'know, clearly people are going to stop making content like that if they don't see any threads about it. :glare:

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wouldn't get too hyped up for SoH on 3DS as the WiiU already struggles to handle it when you go beyond that the original game could handle (such as higher FPS, mods, etc...) And well, OoT3D works very fine for this

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For weaker handhelds and consoles, a more direct and accurate (read: less resource intensive) port than SoH would have to be made.

The guy that made the SM64 port to consoles like PS2, PS3, Xbox etc said he might eventually port it to PS2.

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ah that is great, I just installed it on my 3DS, but i am not sure about the preset, can you show me the one you are talking about? In the randomizer I only see inverted camera, but I can't activate the analog control on it.
https://wiki.ootrandomizer.com/index.php?title=Presets
If the bunny ears are like MM, I really need them! :)
There is a preset option with the name Vanilla Plus or something like that. I think the camera is enabled by default by just loading the randomizer, maybe only works in the New models. Make sure you have external patches activated through luma.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
According to this experienced, paid bounty hunter, SOH barely runs on Vita and even underperforms DaedalusX64 on Vita.
https://github.com/vita-nuova/bounties/issues/118#issuecomment-1665969462

Considering that, SOH has no hope running on the much weaker new3ds unless some major refactor goes on in the main SOH project (unlikely given its positive reception).

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Huh. I thought the OoT 3D engine was already heavily based on the SM64 engine, but I guess that doesn't count for enough.

Evilengine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There is a preset option with the name Vanilla Plus or something like that. I think the camera is enabled by default by just loading the randomizer, maybe only works in the New models. Make sure you have external patches activated through luma.
Hmmm, I can't find anything like that anywhere, not even in the OOTRandomizer offline program. Also, checking videos on Youtube, none looks like analog camera. I also can't find anyone stating anything about it. If you are really sure this exists, maybe you can send the preset or a source? Would be a big help. I searched all options and it also wasn't activated by default using the randomizer on the 3ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto