GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
...it's a love it or hate it thing, and most critics hate it. ...

Yeah, that very much sums up these games. Reviewing DW games and the like is like reviewing chess or checkers. If you go in expecting something other than chess or checkers, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Most reviews of these games are never based on the functionality of said games; it's about taste. The same could almost be said about Pokemon, but I think the depth and diversity is what keeps the scores high for those games. To me, the DW games offer a certain type of entertainment you either appreciate or you don't. At this point, reviewers should recognize that and base the lion's share of their score on how well the game performs to that end.

The irony, really, is that most folks will likely be playing this game for a long time, while other 3DS launch titles will likely only satisfy for a very short time. DW (and the like) is basically the pr0n of video games. Everybody publicly denounces it while lapping it up in private.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The graphics are starting to really disappoint me as I get later (well, not that much later, just the 2nd section) into the game. It's not that stuff looks bad, its just that there is no draw distance! People are literally appearing RIGHT in front of me. It's worse than superman 64!

The problem here is that it seems the 3ds can only handle displaying a small number of guys at once, maybe about 20 or so. But the game seems to be keeping track of more than that. I'll be fighting guys on one side of me, flip the camera around and then more guys just appear out of thin air. And when several generals are on screen at once, there can be MASSIVE slowdowns.

It's a fun game, but its feeling like it was really rushed, and they didn't have time to get the tech all worked out.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
honestly, this version has WAY too much transitions, intros, and talk. More than the previous DW or SW.
The gameplay is still the same, but a nice addition is the map and character access in the bottom screen.
WiFi multiplayer couldve been a great addition but whatever.

Get this game.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarxrax said:
The problem here is that it seems the 3ds can only handle displaying a small number of guys at once, maybe about 20 or so. But the game seems to be keeping track of more than that. I'll be fighting guys on one side of me, flip the camera around and then more guys just appear out of thin air. And when several generals are on screen at once, there can be MASSIVE slowdowns.

It's a fun game, but its feeling like it was really rushed, and they didn't have time to get the tech all worked out.

It sounds like the first Dynasty Warriors PSP game (also a launch title for the system). It has pretty much the same issues but it's still some decent fun (although a lot of these issues were taken care of or at least alleviated in later Dynasty/Samurai Warriors titles like Warriors Orochi or Strikeforce).

I'd expect future Warriors titles to be a bit better if your experiences are correct.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Zarxrax said:

It sounds like the first Dynasty Warriors PSP game (also a launch title for the system). It has pretty much the same issues but it's still some decent fun (although a lot of these issues were taken care of or at least alleviated in later Dynasty/Samurai Warriors titles like Warriors Orochi or Strikeforce).

I'd expect future Warriors titles to be a bit better if your experiences are correct.

You can tell it's a launch title and it was rushed by other things too. It's missing several features from it's console brothers. Leveling up the generals, troops and horses. Buying generals and troops. Also miss the tower claim/descend. Being able to select what skills your character learns. Also the console games don't trap you with a no-name genairic character. You actually get to play threw the game with any of the generals. I can forgive all this and it's missing features because most launch titles do suck badly. Samurai Warriors Chronicles does well with what it does have and I don't consider it a failed launch title, like the urbz ds and mario n64 ds were.

lonfar

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First dlc came out yesterday day or day before
frown.gif
anyone got it?

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
lonfar said:
First dlc came out yesterday day or day before
frown.gif
anyone got it?
Pretty sure that was only for the Japanese version.
Probably be a few more weeks before the US and EU versions get it.

BlazerRazor

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been playing this game for a while now. What a blast this game is! In my opinion this game is extremely underrated by the media. Maybe it is because of the depth and level of difficulty.

It got lots of depth and is very challenging at times. The graphics is alright -- the characters look very detailed. The scenery is nothing too exciting, but the game is not about that. Combo's, strategy and the level of RPG -- this game is great for that.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
I've put 15 hours into this game now.

I'm still only about half way through Part 2 though because I keep going back to play previous battles again and try to complete all the missions and their bonus conditions.

Looking through the mission list in the vault I've discovered that there's still one more mission that I haven't done in the first battle, and same in the second battle too.

Anyone got 10/10 Missions for the first or second battle yet?
Seems that for the first battle it's the last mission I'm missing, and for the second I'm missing the second last one.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Dylan said:
It started getting a bit hard for me and I just lost interest mid-act 2. I dunno if i'll even bother finishing it. Might sell it
Yeah, if you don't spend some time re-doing missions to level your characters up and build good weapons for them then it can get really hard.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I tend not to upgrade other characters weapons, seems too much hard work. :3

I'm on chapter 3 and fuck it's hard (I'm on normal). Ina and that other guy appeared and I had to defeat them, there was no chance I'd be able to do that in the time limit it set, plus he took nearly all of my health.

I think I'm going to re-do all missions to get the bonuses.

edit: GameFAQs are putting together a community FAQ
http://swc.ietherpad.com/1?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dylan said:
It started getting a bit hard for me and I just lost interest mid-act 2. I dunno if i'll even bother finishing it. Might sell it

Honestly, that's likely the reason why we see so many low review scores for the Warriors games. Critics always rattle off a list of minuses, none of them having anything to do with a given game being broken in any way. The problem is, most folks approach these games as if they're dungeon crawlers. In action, they are button mashers, but if you fail to wrap your head around the entire conquest, it's impossible to get very far.

And I'm not in any way trying to make a dig about your gaming abilities. Trust me, I didn't get these games either at first, and I appreciate where you're coming from. Eventually, though -- if you stick with it -- it clicks.
wink.gif

Kamiyama

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I so wanna this game, but there's couple of problems. First, I pre-ordered my copy like a month ago and I haven't still got the game. I canceled my "pre"-order and then bought the game from another netstore. That's about week now and even they aren't even shipped the game yet! Second, I live middle of nowhere and nearest gamestore is about 200km away. I'm start getting sick of those touch screen spammers in SSFIV...

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
prwlr. said:
I tend not to upgrade other characters weapons, seems too much hard work. :3

I'm on chapter 3 and fuck it's hard (I'm on normal). Ina and that other guy appeared and I had to defeat them, there was no chance I'd be able to do that in the time limit it set, plus he took nearly all of my health.

I think I'm going to re-do all missions to get the bonuses.

edit: GameFAQs are putting together a community FAQ
http://swc.ietherpad.com/1?
Yeah, grinding to build up your characters and weapons is definitely a good idea.

Thanks for the link. There's some good info there, including a list of all the missions in each battle and how to activate them.

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
GeekyGuy said:
Dylan said:

Honestly, that's likely the reason why we see so many low review scores for the Warriors games. Critics always rattle off a list of minuses, none of them having anything to do with a given game being broken in any way. The problem is, most folks approach these games as if they're dungeon crawlers. In action, they are button mashers, but if you fail to wrap your head around the entire conquest, it's impossible to get very far.

And I'm not in any way trying to make a dig about your gaming abilities. Trust me, I didn't get these games either at first, and I appreciate where you're coming from. Eventually, though -- if you stick with it -- it clicks.
wink.gif

That's totally understandable and I realise you have to re-do missions to get somewhere but that to me just isn't all that interesting. I'm not saying any other part of the game is bad but you obviously need to be a real fan of the series to bother with all that and keep interest in it.

D

Deleted-188346

Guys...how the hell do you get a 150 combo going? Seems nearly impossible...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)