Samsung overtake Apple as #1 smartphone seller

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apple was only at the top because of Steve Jobs and now this confirms it. Those "business men" are going to run Apple into the ground.
No... Do you know how well the iPhone 4S sold in its first 3 days? It was a lot.

Samsung just has a lot more devices on the market. I can name a few: Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Captivate(Well, it's a bit old), Samsung Amaze 4G, Samsung Galaxy S Infuse 4G, and the list goes on.

I'm not sure if I should mention the Nexus S. It is made by Samsung, but I am not sure if it really counts.

Those are just the Android phones, if I recall correctly they also have a few(or one?) Windows Phone 7(.5) handset too. But I could be wrong on that.

No such thing as a Samsung Amaze. That is HTC Amaze...

Reactions: 1 person

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apple: Samsung stole our design and wrongfully sold more than us! We demand they be unable to sell anymore smartphones or tablets!

Samsung: u mad bro?

Apple was only at the top because of Steve Jobs and now this confirms it. Those "business men" are going to run Apple into the ground.

There were plenty of variables between then and now that contributed to the current sales stats. Claiming that Steve Jobs was the only thing keeping Apple up is both incorrect and disrespectful.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No... Do you know how well the iPhone 4S sold in its first 3 days? It was a lot.

Samsung just has a lot more devices on the market. I can name a few: Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Captivate(Well, it's a bit old), Samsung Amaze 4G, Samsung Galaxy S Infuse 4G, and the list goes on.

I'm not sure if I should mention the Nexus S. It is made by Samsung, but I am not sure if it really counts.

Those are just the Android phones, if I recall correctly they also have a few(or one?) Windows Phone 7(.5) handset too. But I could be wrong on that.

No such thing as a Samsung Amaze. That is HTC Amaze...

Apart from that, the ammount of devices does not contribute to how many people purchased a smartphone of a given company. It's like running a contest with Oranges againts Apples (numerous types) to determine which fruit is more popular. Regardless of the details, either apples or oranges win.

People either choose a product from Apple (an iPhone) or a product from Samsung (any of their smartphones), and Samsung wins due to a higher variety of handsets and better prices. You can argue that they only won due to having more then one device on offer, but you will be in the wrong.

...unless you know people who, for example, but 3 smarphones from 1 company and use all of them at once because they're just more trendy like that? No.

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
What's up with all the Apple hate? I know Apple isn't perfect anything, but hey, there are things they did pretty well. Am I right?
Android and iOS are both great operating systems IMO. You can choose which one you like. There's no winner in my book, just "taste" or personal preference.
You like big, bright screens with a customizable OS? You like a powerful processor and a sane price tag? You go for an Android handset!
You like an unique design, the iPod functionality, a sleek and simple but restricted OS? You go for iPhone!
(I chose Apple because of the imo fantastic design, simple UI, the great iPod function and some iOS exclusive games/apps)

It really seems that the majority of the GBAtemp likes Android more than Apple. A LOT more.
I personally dislike the fact that new Android handsets follow each other up so fast. If you bought a Samsung Galaxy SII recently, there will be 5 better Android handsets within 6 months or so.
It means more options to choose from, but I personally don't like it. The preference thingy shows up again I guess

D

Deleted-236924

im pretty sure apples products are more reliable in terms of build quality. they will swoop in eventually and retake the throne.
The touch screen on an iPhone can actually break from falling down approximately 20-30cm onto carpeted floor.

Steve Jobs dies and then Samsung becomes #1 seller of smartphones on the market?
That must mean the two events are obviously related!

WolfSpider

Trophies
Website
northernillinoisweathercenter.com
XP
Country
United States
What's up with all the Apple hate? I know Apple isn't perfect anything, but hey, there are things they did pretty well. Am I right?
Android and iOS are both great operating systems IMO. You can choose which one you like. There's no winner in my book, just "taste" or personal preference.
You like big, bright screens with a customizable OS? You like a powerful processor and a sane price tag? You go for an Android handset!
You like an unique design, the iPod functionality, a sleek and simple but restricted OS? You go for iPhone!
(I chose Apple because of the imo fantastic design, simple UI, the great iPod function and some iOS exclusive games/apps)

It really seems that the majority of the GBAtemp likes Android more than Apple. A LOT more.
I personally dislike the fact that new Android handsets follow each other up so fast. If you bought a Samsung Galaxy SII recently, there will be 5 better Android handsets within 6 months or so.
It means more options to choose from, but I personally don't like it. The preference thingy shows up again I guess
I sort of think that the Android os is better than iOS but there are just not enough apps for Android yet.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Isn't this the exact same strategy that led iPhones to greatness? As far as I remember, "the iPhone" gets a revision each 6 months - 1 year and nobody seems to mind. As far as hate is concerned, I don't think people hate Apple due to the OS that represents it, but more due to their recent design strategies, constant lawsuit wars and simply a lack of variety in their products.

Every single company in the world releases numerous versions of their hardware to fit various needs - they're very specific about which phone will be good for who. Apple seems to believe in the one-size-fits-all scheme, which usually doesn't work as glam as it sounds.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Isn't this the exact same strategy that led iPhones to greatness? As far as I remember, "the iPhone" gets a revision each 6 months - 1 year and nobody seems to mind. As far as hate is concerned, I don't think people hate Apple due to the OS that represents it, but more due to their recent design strategies, constant lawsuit wars and simply a lack of variety in their products.

Every single company in the world releases numerous versions of their hardware to fit various needs - they're very specific about which phone will be good for who. Apple seems to believe in the one-size-fits-all scheme, which usually doesn't work as glam as it sounds.

you can't single out apple for lawsuit wars. they are equally at the receiving end of the stick. samsung decided to sue for the iphone 4s announcement before it even happened. ofcourse it doesn't get as much coverage here because everyone is in the apple hate bandwagon. this site is like Fox media of technology.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Apple Hate Bandwagon started much earlier than the iPhones. In fact, it kicked off big time when they made fun of the Pentium-II line of processors back in the 90ties, just to later on implement Intel processors in their later products. Apple's marketing was always agressive and it always ridiculed products of other companies. It was also purposely viral and misleading - the grey masses honestly believed that an iPod and an "MP3 Player" are two completely different things. You have to be blind to ommit those issues.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Foxi4: I think it absolutely has to do with Samsung having more phones on the market and different models and such.

Do you honestly think if Samsung only had one phone on the market(Samsung Galaxy S II) along with Apple only having the iPhone 4S, th would still be the #1 smartphone seller?

Also:
Meanwhile at Samsung: OH MY GOD WE ARE FINALLY NUMBER ONE OF SOMETHING WE DO

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
has this site been around that long? i didn't know... i was like 13 when pentium came out. i doubt most users here where even born then. i doubt most even knew apple existed before the ipod took off.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4: I think it absolutely has to do with Samsung having more phones on the market and different models and such.

Do you honestly think if Samsung only had one phone on the market(Samsung Galaxy S II) along with Apple only having the iPhone 4S, th would still be the #1 smartphone seller?

Question: If you are so certain that Samsung would not be able to dominate the market with one handset, how do you explain the domination of the market by Apple throughout the last few years while having only one?

You fail to understand a simple principle - 1 person buys 1 smartphone (of course there are reviewers and collectors, but those are the minority). They make a choice - Samsung, HTC, whatever other company or Apple, and they buy said smartphone in question. The ammount of smartphones is irrelevant, it all runs down to choosing one.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes. I know this.

But when there are (as example) 6 Samsung phones to buy, and one iPhone. (All different Samsung phones).

The end user might think "Oh, they keep making phones, so they must be good. " I cannot really explain my other thoughts in words.

Also, Apple was the top for so long since for such a long time, when people thought of "smartphone" they thought of the iPhone. Or like in the past, BlackBerry.

And then Apple gained customer loyalty. Before any carrier other than AT&T had the iPhone, customer would go in and be like "Can I buy an iPhone?" and the worker would be like "Sorry, we don't carry the iPhone. But here are some phones like the iPhone"
I have seen this with my own eyes. Well, ears.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm loving this discussion :)

I'm going to mention the obvious if one phone sells more than another phone does not imply that either phone is better than the other.

My phone carrier carrier does not carry Samsung Galaxy S2, it's out of the question. The probability of me getting an Iphone is greater than getting Samsung Galaxy SII. 90,000,000 people are in the same boat as me.

We cannot assume that people know what they are buying; I'm sure the average person is not even capable of figuring out, the advantages and disadvantages of getting one phone over the other.

The only thing in question is the popularity of one company over the other. If this ever can be established, it would be near impossible to make any inferences on which line of phones are better on average (I say average because what is better is subject to opinion, while one may have more specs than the other doesn't necessarily make it better)

The end user might think "Oh, they keep making phones, so they must be good. " I cannot really explain my other thoughts in words.

Or inversely, someone like me, they keep making phones so I am unsure whether or not I should impulsively buy a phone and end up hating myself if a new one comes out in a few months with not that much price gain.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Blackberries were "popular" only in certain places on the globe. Where I live, a "smarphone" was first identified as "A Symbian-Based phone", then as a "Windows Mobile phone" and finally "an iPhone". Android came last and is currently the most popular choice.

In any case, the vendor is free to say that other smartphones are "like the iPhone" because they are and always has been, these devices belong to a certain group of hardware and they can all be put in one bag saying "smartphone". This doesn't make Apple's sales bigger or smaller - the exact same customer is free to leave and simply go to the nearest Apple Store where you'd EXPECT him to go in the first place when he's seaching for an Apple phone.

That said, I've never heard of a carrier that doesn't have iPhones on their menu, they're simply too popular to ommit.

This way or another, Apple is nowhere near collapsing, I just believe they should embrace change. The 4S is a step in the right direction hardware-wise - it's no longer purposely obselete which is something I admire. Now they need to embrace the idea of adding a slide keyboard or other perhaptials and perhaps adapt some sort of removable storage medium and I will have no beef with them whatsoever.

D

Deleted_171835

Yes. I know this.

But when there are (as example) 6 Samsung phones to buy, and one iPhone. (All different Samsung phones).

Also, Apple was the top for so long since for such a long time, when people thought of "smartphone" they thought of the iPhone. Or like in the past, BlackBerry.

And then Apple gained customer loyalty. Before any carrier other than AT&T had the iPhone, customer would go in and be like "Can I buy an iPhone?" and the worker would be like "Sorry, we don't carry the iPhone. But here are some phones like the iPhone"
I have seen this with my own eyes. Well, ears.
So essentially you're saying that because Samsung isn't Apple, the iPhone would have sold more?

That's some screwed up logic.

Unless I'm reading it wrong.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why, yes.
>Samsung Galaxy S II

Also, even though that is made by Samsung, it isn't using their branding. Also, I guess time will tell to see if if sells more than the iPhone did at launch :P

xxNathanxx

Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
Oh, my bad, didn't see that there.

Regardless, it's still made by Samsung and is still called the Galaxy Nexus. It's like if Apple were to remove their logo from the next-gen iDevices, they would still be called iPhone and whatnot, doesn't make them any less of an Apple product.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission