Samsung overtake Apple as #1 smartphone seller

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Samsung Electronics Co. overtook Apple Inc. (AAPL) in the last quarter to become the world’s largest smartphone vendor amid a widening technology and legal battle between the two companies.
Samsung shipped 27.8 million smartphones in the last quarter, taking 23.8 percent of the market, Milton Keynes, U.K.- based Strategy Analytics said in an e-mailed statement today. Apple’s 17.1 million shipments, comprising 14.6 percent of the market, pushed the Cupertino, California-based company to second place. Nokia Oyj (NOK1V) maintained its third position, it said.
Apple, which released its iPhone 4S this month, held the top spot for only one quarter after dislodging Espoo, Finland- based Nokia earlier this year. Samsung, based in Suwon, South Korea, has turned to Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android software to boost sales of its Galaxy smartphones and tablet computers.

icon11.gif
Source

Reactions: 8 people

junn

Trophies
Website
flic.kr
XP
Country
United States
hmmm.. what i read is that:
"Samsung shipped 27.8 million smartphones in the last quarter.."
and "Apple’s 17.1 million shipments, comprising 14.6 percent of the market.."
this is shipments. Not the amount they actually sold... or they sold all the 27.8 mil?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. Now that Jobs has gone and Apple has lost No. 1 of the phone market I can actually foresee Apple dieing. Something that would have seemed impossible just 6 months ago.

Reactions: 2 people

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got a samsung captivate. i love it. although the screen isn't the strongest. i dropped it from my waist to the kitchen floor and the screen busted, mind you i'm only about 5'3" so that fall was about from 3 feet.

im pretty sure apples products are more reliable in terms of build quality. they will swoop in eventually and retake the throne.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
hmmm.. what i read is that:
"Samsung shipped 27.8 million smartphones in the last quarter.."
and "Apple’s 17.1 million shipments, comprising 14.6 percent of the market.."
this is shipments. Not the amount they actually sold... or they sold all the 27.8 mil?

It doesn't matter. Companies get money from retailers anyways, regardless of whether or not someone buys the phone. In this case, shipped = sold.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This isn't really shocking at all. I'm shocked it took this long actually.

I mean, Samsung has so many phones on the current market. So it's obvious they would overtake Apple.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Apple was only at the top because of Steve Jobs and now this confirms it. Those "business men" are going to run Apple into the ground.
No... Do you know how well the iPhone 4S sold in its first 3 days? It was a lot.

Samsung just has a lot more devices on the market. I can name a few: Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Captivate(Well, it's a bit old), Samsung Amaze 4G, Samsung Galaxy S Infuse 4G, and the list goes on.

I'm not sure if I should mention the Nexus S. It is made by Samsung, but I am not sure if it really counts.

Those are just the Android phones, if I recall correctly they also have a few(or one?) Windows Phone 7(.5) handset too. But I could be wrong on that.

Reactions: 1 person

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow. Now that Jobs has gone and Apple has lost No. 1 of the phone market I can actually foresee Apple dieing. Something that would have seemed impossible just 6 months ago.
Facepalm, just facepalm. Like the mighty podcaster iFish said, do you know how much the iPhone 4S sold in it's first weekend? Apple still has a major dominance and a great future ahead of them, even without Jobs. Apple wasn't Jobs alone you know, and even if it was, don't you think Jobs informed the Apple people how he would run the company for the next few years?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
they wont fade away. mac is a life style for their main users. apple was good when it was exclusively small and it would continue to be if it shrunk back down. besides if apple faded away who would samsung copy?

i'm pretty sure apple will release their tv come next year or the next one and step farther in samsungs territory. plus samsung has littered the market with phones for ages, very crappy phones at that. if apple where to fade they wouldn't have a need to make the galaxy 3 and we'd be back at crappy samsung phones that hardly work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: