Sony Restructures: Cuts 30,000 Jobs

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Sully99, Mar 10, 2011.

Mar 10, 2011
  1. Sully99
    OP

Banned Sully99 Banned

United States
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-10/s...-president.html

2. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    You know for someone who only has a degree in History, this is simply amazing he knows a lot more about business then his other successors.

3. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Kaz is like the only reason why Sony has brought in, albeit small, profits with the PS3. After Ken Kutaragi dug the company a big grave, it's amazing that they started to recover now. Expected them to recover later rather than sooner.

Also, I'm sorry, but to all the people who said "piracy will make hundreds of people lose jobs at Sony because of the PS3 keys" and all that other excuse bullcrap. Sony just cut 30,000 NOT because of it.

4. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Might help if sony stays out of court once in awhile...

5. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    Sony hasn't made any profits on the PS3. They're still trying to recoup their losses.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/30/sony-ps-di...-launching-ps3/

Even though this article is from a year ago, they still haven't recouped their losses. And their financial reports since the publication of this article show further losses in the PS division. (Although some people claim those losses were from the failure of the PSP Go and the decline of the PSP market.)

So even though they may finally be selling PS3 hardware for a profit, they still have a long way to go before they make up for all the money they lost.

I feel sorry for the 30,000 people who lost their jobs. Typical corporate BS. Reward a failure with a better position and a higher sallary while you send 30,000 people to the unemployment office. Anyway they're just bumping Kaz up the ladder because everyone was disappointed with Stringer.

6. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    That's from 2009 dude. They just started making a profit in last june I believe.. something like that.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States

8. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    I never said they made up all the money in the first place. I said that they're just turning a profit from the PS3 now, meaning they're on the right track and not losing money from it.

9. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    its quite big to fire 30000 ppl at once. It must be a great change that is needed it would seem. This may be an indication as said above that piracy on the ps3 would be really bad as their PS3s would cause more loss than any profit

10. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    True enough, but to be clear:

"Operating profit more than doubled in [Hirai's] network products and services division in October-December last year..."

Reuters