Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Taken from Gamespot.com:
QUOTE said:
Yesterday, Microsoft was humbled by a symbolic blow from longtime rival Apple. After a volatile day of trading on the NASDAQ stock exchange, Apple's market value officially surpassed Microsoft's, consequently conferring the crown of most valuable technology company in the world onto the iPod and Mac creator.

The iPhone has helped Apple gain substantial ground on Microsoft.

As of market close on Wednesday, Apple's market capitalization on the tech-heavy stock exchange stood at $222.12 billion, as compared to Microsoft's $219.18 billion. Market capitalization, which is commonly used by investors to determine the value of a company, is the sum value of a company's outstanding shares, and so it fluctuates significantly with stock price.

Somewhat paradoxically, Microsoft remains the more profitable of the two companies. For the January-March quarter, Microsoft turned a $4.01 billion profit on revenues of $14.50 billion, thanks in large part to favorable currency exchange rates and a healthy performance from its Entertainment and Devices division, of which the Xbox 360 and Zune are a part.

During the same period, Apple posted $3.07 billion in profit on revenues of $13.50 billion, the best non-holiday quarter for the Cupertino, California-based company. Apple's three-month earnings period was ballooned by sales of 8.75 million iPhones, up 131 percent from the same period a year ago. Mac adoption also grew during the period, rising 33 percent to 2.94 million units sold.

Apple is also reaping success from the iPad, which launched on April 3. Less than a month after its debut, the versatile tablet device reached the 1-million-unit marker, a figure that followed on from estimated opening weekend sales of 300,000.

In trading today, Microsoft and Apple have alternated as the holder of the top market capitalization on the NASDAQ exchange. As of press time, Apple held the title with a market capitalization of $228.31 billion, compared to Microsoft's $228.04 billion.
Hmm, who would of thunk it?

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
http://www.businessweek.com/interactive_re...hamps_2009.html

EPIC WIN!

Epic_Win_by_danzilla3.jpg

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
We'll just let Apple rise for now..
Maybe it's because of that Windows Vista that was almost the worst OS EVER. Made Microsoft lose some of their customers
unsure.gif

~
Uhmm the iPhone is definitely a great phone. A lot of people own it
biggrin.gif
even my family.
Microsoft Kin? Hmm not so much, it's still a new phone and there are a lot of better ones out there. Like Droid incredible and the like
For Macs, eh I have friends who use them and they use it a lot, but who cares, they paid for that pricey laptop.
They'll be forced to like it.
rofl.gif
jk jk
~
And it's not like Microsoft was flunked that much.
Everything has their ups and downs
wink.gif
Apple made great products at this period so their increased profit was "okay."
smile.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Of course they surpass Microsoft, if they sell their iGarbage for 10 times the price a normal thing can do better. I wish Jobs would GTFO already, I'm sick of this shit.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
So... As it's on the top, will they sell all of their products at a lower price? I mean, I wish I could have iPods and iPads, but they're so overpriced I can't afford one and I think getting an iPod Touch or an iPad or a Macbook air at those prices is the worst deal you could make.

*Sigh* Don't they know you can make more money with low prices?

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Overlord Nadrian said:
Of course they surpass Microsoft, if they sell their iGarbage for 10 times the price a normal thing can do better. I wish Jobs would GTFO already, I'm sick of this shit.

Even posers need products to buy... let Apple have their "highest valued" status if it pleases them. Their products are, in most cases, either no better or somewhat inferior to cheaper alternatives.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:

Most companies pick a price and think "What can we build for this price?"
Apple builds a product and thinks "What can we sell this for?"

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
So... As it's on the top, will they sell all of their products at a lower price? I mean, I wish I could have iPods and iPads, but they're so overpriced I can't afford one and I think getting an iPod Touch or an iPad or a Macbook air at those prices is the worst deal you could make.

Obviously this is a lie. Apple is doing so well.
mellow.gif
mad.gif

macgeek417 said:
QUOTE(Overlord Nadrian @ May 30 2010, 12:48 AM) Of course they surpass Microsoft, if they sell their iGarbage for 10 times the price a normal thing can do better. I wish Jobs would GTFO already, I'm sick of this shit.

Most companies pick a price and think "What can we build for this price?"
Apple builds a product and thinks "What can we sell this for?"
laugh.gif
I like this.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
Oh! I didn't realize you had a complete understanding of Apple's entire market more then they do. Maybe they should hire you as opposed to the professionals who have years of experience of judging a market that got apple to the top of the stock exchange......
dry.gif

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
What ?! Apple Won Over Microsoft in the PROFITS ?!!!
Alright. Time To Unveil My Secret Project!
Behold! The First Skeletal Frame Ever Created Alongside with a Exterior Skin and a Cockpit Based on Motion-Track Controls! I Will Burn Apple to a Crisp with my Lazer BEAM!!!
no seriously...
Apple profits higher then Microsoft ?
wow....that is sick...after all. the company is made by a crew who loves to order people around
smile.gif

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind: this is entirely due to the fact that Apple is extremely overpriced and even then only their iPod product line is the major selling point. Nobody still uses Mac computers enough to even remotely threaten Microsoft's grasp on the OS industry and Apple still doesn't make any products a professional wants: Mac OS X Server is a nightmare (I know this from experience), Apple systems will never be cost effective and at the end of the day.....the professional world of servers, databases and workstations is the key selling point of any computer company. My father is a professional UNIX programmer and he wouldn't touch a Mac, that is how useless they are

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I dislike Apple, but honestly they kind of earned it. Apple has been promoting its name and products like crazy these past several years. Yet I barely (Hardly?) ever see Microsoft putting in the same amount of energy to promote their name.
Not to mention Apple has an almost cult-like following. There are people out there who will buy just about anything shiny and made by Apple. For most of Apple's products, they charge twice the amount it costs them to make something, not to mention they overcharge on cheaply made accessories. $35 cheap earbuds or $90 bag anyone? Despite there being superior phones, and devices to anything Apple makes, they're still the best sellers. That is the power of great advertising and dimwit (majority) consumers. Just saying...

Also Spectral Force Genisis had werewolves in it.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Overlord Nadrian said:
The only people who complain about the price are those who can't afford it, so maybe instead of whining about their products being expensive, you can just accept the fact that they make great products and leave it at that. I aint no Mac fanboy but the iPhone is one of the best mobile phones on the market, all of it's features it does exceptionally well. Can't vouch much for their computers, they are nice but are horribly limited in terms of upgrades for what you pay, but if you are looking for an all-in-one style machine with high performance, get an iMac because you won't get it out of a Windows one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Cranesbill @ Cranesbill: I forgot I was in this group :skull: