Apple becomes first publicly traded US company to reach $1 trillion market value

applfdgdfge-logo (1).png

Love them or hate them, Apple is a huge player in the technology market. On Thursday, the company managed to reach new heights, when they became the first ever American company to hit the trillion dollar threshold. Stock prices for Apple jumped nearly 3% in the previous quarter, pushing the individual share value to $207.39, which let the company make history. The business behind the iMac and iPhone and other array of "iProducts" beat competitors and other titans like Alphabet, Microsoft, and Amazon to be the first of them to get to that goal, though Amazon is close behind, and may reach a similar valuation soon.

Apple was founded in 1976, where Steve Jobs would go on to create computers to compete with Microsoft, and then take part in the smartphone revolution of the late 2000's. Their new CEO, Tim Cook, took over for Steve Jobs after his passing, helping the company's share prices grow to over 2000%.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually Apple phones blow away the competition speed wise, Apple socs simply run circles around Qualcomm offerings. And the MacBook Pro is priced well, they are using pci express ssds and any pc equivalent cost the same or more, don’t kid yourself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nobody will be on board for a cloud based OS anytime soon.

Funny how many people are brainwashed against Apple products...
>They're using pcie SSDs now
Do you actually know what that means or are you talking out your ass (or mouth, no different for an apple fanboy) again because your corporate masters told you to? You've failed to address my argument completely entirely and moved goalposts so far they're not even at the stadium anymore. Gtfo.

Hey Kevin, when you feel like arguing like an adult, address this for me:

If apple is so great, why is it every model of computer they've made since like 2012 has been prone to numerous, incredibly destructive hardware faults to the point the device has a lifespan barely further than two years? How come my Alienware Alpha R1 has managed to survive for like, four straight?

Again, you argue about "best at what they're made for," but what is that? It's not gaming, it's not general use, it's not music production, it's not video editing (other programs do it better and more flexibly, they just crash a lot depending on add-ons) and the only logical conclusion is Photoshop related shit, but a minority uses them for that, so that clearly is not the draw for them.

Learn to argue, not to bleat.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
>They're using pcie SSDs now
Do you actually know what that means or are you talking out your ass (or mouth, no different for an apple fanboy) again because your corporate masters told you to? You've failed to address my argument completely entirely and moved goalposts so far they're not even at the stadium anymore. Gtfo.

Hey Kevin, when you feel like arguing like an adult, address this for me:

If apple is so great, why is it every model of computer they've made since like 2012 has been prone to numerous, incredibly destructive hardware faults to the point the device has a lifespan barely further than two years? How come my Alienware Alpha R1 has managed to survive for like, four straight?

Again, you argue about "best at what they're made for," but what is that? It's not gaming, it's not general use, it's not music production, it's not video editing (other programs do it better and more flexibly, they just crash a lot depending on add-ons) and the only logical conclusion is Photoshop related shit, but a minority uses them for that, so that clearly is not the draw for them.

Learn to argue, not to bleat.
You haven’t made a single point to debunk, unless you want me to debunk your feelings. Here’s a hint, the closest to MacBooks would be dells XPS line, not the random laptops you posted.

I'm not sure what shit you're smoking, but the Razer Blade Stealth has up to a 1tb NVMe SSD and a 3200x1800 screen, which I believe is equivalent to 2K
Click the link to what he posted... and 2k is close to 1080p, do a quick google search.

Last edited by kevin corms,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You haven’t made a single point to debunk, unless you want me to debunk your feelings. Here’s a hint, the closest to MacBooks would be dells XPS line, not the random laptops you posted.
>You haven't made a single point to debunk
you mean, I haven't made a single point that you've *looked* at. I'm asking you, if you have even a shred of intelligence for capable debate, how do you address the repeated hardware failures in macs, hardware failures so widespread and potent that Apple has had to be sued just to get them to acknowledge them? How do you address such repeated anti-consumer behavior?

I'm not asking for whataboutisms either. I'm asking for actual points.

"Hey what are these laptops so good for? You keep saying "what they're made for" but you never elaborate on that"
"Sorry idiot, but you didn't make any points for me to debunk, just opinions"
???????????

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
>You haven't made a single point to debunk
you mean, I haven't made a single point that you've *looked* at. I'm asking you, if you have even a shred of intelligence for capable debate, how do you address the repeated hardware failures in macs, hardware failures so widespread and potent that Apple has had to be sued just to get them to acknowledge them? How do you address such repeated anti-consumer behavior?

I'm not asking for whataboutisms either. I'm asking for actual points.

"Hey what are these laptops so good for? You keep saying "what they're made for" but you never elaborate on that"
"Sorry idiot, but you didn't make any points for me to debunk, just opinions"
???????????
They are very light and capable ultrabooks with a high res screen and long battery life. Great for programming and media creation on the go. They aren’t heavy desktop replacements or gaming machines, but they don’t pretend to be. They also last longer than pretty much any other laptop thanks to the great build quality, but it seems you just can’t aceept anything good about an Apple product. And yes they have had a few problems here and there, but overall they are quite reliable compared to the competition, don’t straw man me with a specific issue either... you could do the same to any laptop maker. Remember I’m not telling you that you should go buy one, im just trying to educate you as to why people like them. Also judging by your comments you aren’t mature enough to even have a serious discussion that doesn’t come down to calling people idiots.

While I understand some of your points, I have to disagree on most of them.

Apple hardware is great with applications specifically made by Apple, inside it's own ecosystem.

As we all know, yes, the software on a MacBook is faster and superior to windows in a multitude of applications. Adobe software is particularly good at this, I'd call it an exception, given they are not owned by Apple.

In practically anything and everything else, other computers are the clear winners, both in versatility and performance even without optimized construction of applications. Especially, if using Windows.

From gaming, to video editing, to 3D rendering, apple hardware cannot keep up with it's competitors. And how could it?

Optimization and stellar coding only take you so far. But a graphics card that has twice the rendering power of the one inside a MacBook, will always win, no matter what software it is using.

And at the end of the day, Apple does not use the most powerful graphics cards, or processors or amount of RAM.

But they certainly price their products as if they did.
Which competitors though? You would have to sacrifice something to beat the performance of a MacBook Pro. It would be heavier, or more expensive, or less battery life, or maybe a worse screen etc... think ultrabook, not desktop replacement.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are very light and capable ultrabooks with a high res screen and long battery life. Great for programming and media creation on the go. They aren’t heavy desktop replacements or gaming machines, but they don’t pretend to be. They also last longer than pretty much any other laptop thanks to the great build quality, but it seems you just can’t aceept anything good about an Apple product.
>>>>>THEY LAST LONGER THAN ANY OTHER LAPTOP THANKS TO THE GREAT BUILD QUALITY

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Okay, first of all, now that I have that out of my system, you are blatantly wrong.
Macbooks are NOT durable in the slightest. They are literally the most prone to failure machines out there. You couldn't design a worse machine if you tried. Apple has blatantly lied about durability, and any basic test will prove this.

Rather than regurgitate press points, I'm asking you to address the actual failures themselves, because they outright prove you wrong.

Here's apple acknowledging they created defective keyboards on one of their recent models. So much for durability, right?

Great build quality, right?

Isn't it great how the Unibody Macbooks would blow their heat straight on the glue to the actual frame, leading almost immediately to structural faults? Great build quality.

How about this Macbook Air succumbing to total failure over incredibly minor damage? Is this the great build quality you have in mind?

How about the logic boards on the 12 inch 2015 macbooks failing because of charger issues. With *apple branded* chargers, mind you? What about this "great build quality?"

How about how prone to failure the GPUs are in Macbook Pro Retina models?
Great build quality? I'm not seeing any.

There are positives to macs. The apple ecosystem, for one, ensures that, while you'll be getting pretty fucking shitty hardware, you can at least expect the software to work, provided you buy it the first two or three years the device comes out, because then Apple starts throttling it against your will, but that's an issue with company ethics rather than hardware. You can expect, because the devices are all uniform, that software Apple develops will be incredibly well optimized for the platform, because they don't have to anticipate numerous other possible devices being used like Microsoft or Linux do. The optimization itself is reliable. The hardware, however, is absolutely fucking *not* reliable in any case whatsoever anymore. Before? The older models from the early and late 2000's? Yeah, generally reliable. Here? Not anymore. Apple makes fashion statements, not hardware, and if you genuinely believe otherwise, you are a deluded sheep who refuses to see the truth in front of him.

There is nothing wrong with liking Apple, or their products. There is absolutely everything wrong with pretending they're innocent, or that they are not outright incompetent when it comes to basic hardware design for their laptops. There is a very clear reason why the laptops I posted were bigger: because if they made them paper thin like macbooks, they would die within months. This is why the newer macbooks die so quickly.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Click the link to what he posted... and 2k is close to 1080p, do a quick google search.
Hey Google, what is the pixel count of a 1080p monitor?
"The 1080 refers to a resolution of 1080 vertical in the picture, and is usually understood to mean a television with a 16:9 aspect ratio, thereby including a resolution of 1920 horizontal. This puts the overall pixel count of a 1080p television at 2,073,600."

Hey Google, what is the pixel count of a 1440p monitor?
"[...] This yields an overall pixel count of 3,686,400 pixels for a television in 1440p resolution, substantially higher than the 2,073,600 pixels found on a 1080p television. High-definition television dates back to the 1930s, although the televisions considered to be high-definition then would be considered rather low-definition today."

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, if 2k is close to 1080p, then 720p is close to 1080p and 480p is close to 720p so none of these should matter.

I think you can see why this is a really dumb argument. Only a fanboy could make this shit.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd prefer if you'd leave an argument there instead of outright denying the hardware problems of apple products.
Just give it a rest, you don’t really know much about tech and I feel it pointless arguing. I’ve given points, but they aren’t sinking in. Heck I just posted a link telling you what 2k resolution is and all you can do is attack me.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just give it a rest, you don’t really know much about tech and I feel it pointless arguing. I’ve given points, but they aren’t sinking in. Heck I just posted a link telling you what 2k resolution is and all you can do is attack me.
"You don't know much about tech"
So then prove it. Talk is cheap. If I'm so clearly ignorant, proving me wrong should be much simpler than disregarding every example I've given.

Furthermore, what would it matter if I knew about tech or not? You don't need to know shit about technology to know that when you put hot air on glue, it comes unstuck, and then this makes things that are usually together fall apart.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m just going to leave this here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution
No need to go way out in left field...
Oh, interesting, then that was a semantics error on my part, I always thought 1440p was 2k but it's actually about 2.5k I guess? Either way the Blade Stealth 's screen is literally double the pixel density of 1080p so it's in no way "close"

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, interesting, then that was a semantics error on my part, I always thought 1440p was 2k but it's actually about 2.5k I guess? Either way the Blade Stealth 's screen is literally double the pixel density of 1080p so it's in no way "close"
Your friend linked a model with a 1080p screen.

D

Deleted User

Apple used to be on the cutting edge of tech but I feel like since around 2012 they completely changed what they were about. They used to make revolutionary things like the iPhone and iPad, laptops and computers with actually respectable specs. Now Apple is about form over function. Its gotta be paper thin. No ports on your devices. Overpriced for the specs.

I used to really respect Apple but now everytime I see them I just get annoyed.

Last edited by ,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your friend linked a model with a 1080p screen.
That was specifically for if you REALLY want the touchbar, and I think you'll remember that he even mentioned it was an older computer because they stopped doing that before Apple even started

View attachment 138667

Show me a Macbook with specs like this that does 4k for a price like this and then I'll consider you at least educated on the topic.
Hell, gimme a second and I'll try and find something non-Razer since THEY mark their shit up as well

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell, gimme a second and I'll try and find something non-Razer since THEY mark their shit up as well
Yep, which is also partly why I linked that. He's an apple-fanboy, so fashion statements and gratuitous markup should come standard for him. Like I said before, I have zero issue with him liking apple. Hell, I like apple's older products a lot, and other people in the thread still keep old macbooks around because back then they were reliable as shit. My boyfriend bought an Apple LCII and fixed the thing up himself to play Marathon on. There's nothing wrong with love for products, but the way he's acting like they're the only good products in the world is already bad, add to the fact the products he's acting like are special literally are some of the most prone to failures.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They are very light and capable ultrabooks with a high res screen and long battery life. Great for programming and media creation on the go. They aren’t heavy desktop replacements or gaming machines, but they don’t pretend to be. They also last longer than pretty much any other laptop thanks to the great build quality, but it seems you just can’t aceept anything good about an Apple product. And yes they have had a few problems here and there, but overall they are quite reliable compared to the competition, don’t straw man me with a specific issue either... you could do the same to any laptop maker. Remember I’m not telling you that you should go buy one, im just trying to educate you as to why people like them. Also judging by your comments you aren’t mature enough to even have a serious discussion that doesn’t come down to calling people idiots.

Which competitors though? You would have to sacrifice something to beat the performance of a MacBook Pro. It would be heavier, or more expensive, or less battery life, or maybe a worse screen etc... think ultrabook, not desktop replacement.

I guess it depends how we are looking at things.

If what matters to you is how thin a laptop is, then Apple is the clear winner.

If what matters is performance, regardless of thickness of your laptop, then many brands offer far better solutions for your buck.

And if we put the prices side by side, as in "what competitor computer can you buy for 5000$", then the comparison is even more dire.

One of the latest laptops by MSI, also has the new i9 processor family. The new top of the line MacBook Pro, is heavily outclassed here, graphics card, RAM I think as well, and the screen (4K support).

Last edited by WhiteMaze,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh look, that took all of two minutes:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/2-i...-1/spd/xps-15-9575-2-in-1-laptop/dncwlf416sv2
BASE MODEL of the 4K XPS 15 includes:
4 core 8th gen Core i7 processor
16GB DDR4 memory
256GB PCIe SSD (lookit that! Other computers can have those!!)
RX Vega M dedicated graphics with 4GB HBM2
4K display with both touch and pen functionality

All for the low, low price of $1,999, which is a full $400 cheaper than the comparable Macbook Pro

And you know what's amazing? If you're willing to compromise a bit on features (such as display resolution and SSD transfer rate), you can get the lowest-end XPS 15, a laptop with more cores and a better GPU, and a larger screen than, for the exact same price as the highest-end Macbook Air

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Pretty much. 4K measures horizontal resolution instead of vertical thats typically used, 720p, 1080p. So 1080p is 2K if you look at it's horizontal.

Picture quality is also another aspect of displays. Color Space coverage, contrast, and so on. You can have a 1080p that has worse picture than a 720p, its too washed out. And most people will pick a display that has a better picture over resolution, usually, if the resolution isn't too big of a difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...