Apple becomes first publicly traded US company to reach $1 trillion market value

applfdgdfge-logo (1).png

Love them or hate them, Apple is a huge player in the technology market. On Thursday, the company managed to reach new heights, when they became the first ever American company to hit the trillion dollar threshold. Stock prices for Apple jumped nearly 3% in the previous quarter, pushing the individual share value to $207.39, which let the company make history. The business behind the iMac and iPhone and other array of "iProducts" beat competitors and other titans like Alphabet, Microsoft, and Amazon to be the first of them to get to that goal, though Amazon is close behind, and may reach a similar valuation soon.

Apple was founded in 1976, where Steve Jobs would go on to create computers to compete with Microsoft, and then take part in the smartphone revolution of the late 2000's. Their new CEO, Tim Cook, took over for Steve Jobs after his passing, helping the company's share prices grow to over 2000%.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much. 4K measures horizontal resolution instead of vertical thats typically used, 720p, 1080p. So 1080p is 2K if you look at it's horizontal.

Picture quality is also another aspect of displays. Color Space coverage, contrast, and so on. You can have a 1080p that has worse picture than a 720p, its too washed out. And most people will pick a display that has a better picture over resolution, usually, if the resolution isn't too big of a difference.
Yup, figured that out after a bit lol, not sure why it seems like "2K" and "1440p" seemed to be used interchangeably in the marketing space to me though lol

But yeah, definitely agree with that, I've seen some pretty shit "1080p" monitors that end up pixelating text and washing out the image. To Apple's credit, I don't think they've ever put out a bad display, but that's not exactly a point in their favor because neither do any of the other current big-name players in the laptop space that I've seen

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Yup, figured that out after a bit lol, not sure why it seems like "2K" and "1440p" seemed to be used interchangeably in the marketing space to me though lol

But yeah, definitely agree with that, I've seen some pretty shit "1080p" monitors that end up pixelating text and washing out the image. To Apple's credit, I don't think they've ever put out a bad display, but that's not exactly a point in their favor because neither do any of the other current big-name players in the laptop space that I've seen
It seems more for marketing. They can call it 2160p, but 4K just sounds better, it sells more Displays.

Apple do put out good quality displays to their credit. Their displays have full sRGB coverage. And their Iphones are calibrated pretty close accurate too. Usually their LCDs outperforming Samsungs OLED displays in terms of color accuracy. And their phones have full DCI-P3 coverage I think. But all displays should look the same if calibrated, and thats more on Samsung than their actual displays, especially a good quality one like OLED.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You specifically told us to show you an example of a laptop that has equal specs for a better price, he shows you one with BETTER specs than any MacBook on the market, and you call it a strawman??

No he changed the argument to trying to match what the razorblade offers, apple doesnt make a laptop like that. The razorblade hasn't been out that long, but if its anything like their other products I would stay away.

Last edited by kevin corms,

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
as for the dell someone posted earlier https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/2018-macbook-pro-vs-dell-xps-13

You are posting a laptop that uses a i7-8705G vs i7-8705U, check benchmarks on the better xps model for yourself. You guys dont have enough knowledge to make it worth arguing, all you are doing is posting what other people have said with no context. I even posted a review that is slanted against the macbook, you still see numbers that dont lie.
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Looks like Kevin is taking a page out of Apple's books on repair:
total radio silence

Naw, I had better things to do. Talk to you guys later.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>all you are doing is posting what other people have said

>then posts what other people have said as his argument

deu763dpruwz.png

No he changed the argument to trying to match what the razorblade offers, apple doesnt make a laptop like that. The razorblade hasn't been out that long, but if its anything like their other products I would stay away.
No, I did not change the argument. You asked for similar specs for a similar price, so I gave you something better for an even lighter price. It is in the same realm of comparing PCs and prices. If you wanted SPECIFICALLY that hardware, why didn't you say so? This is what is called moving goalposts, and you did it. This is not a strawman.

Last edited by MaverickWellington,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In no small way thanks to child sweat shops and cables with no strain reliefs.
Which is a shame, to be fair any company who didnt do this wouldnt be able to compete. Steve Jobs used to try to have everything done in the states, but apple could no longer remain competitive.

>all you are doing is posting what other people have said

>then posts what other people have said as his argument

deu763dpruwz.png

No, I did not change the argument. You asked for similar specs for a similar price, so I gave you something better for an even lighter price. It is in the same realm of comparing PCs and prices. If you wanted SPECIFICALLY that hardware, why didn't you say so? This is what is called moving goalposts, and you did it. This is not a strawman.
you dont get it do you, you gave me something completely different and told me to match it with an apple product. Apple doesnt make gaming laptops. If someone wanted a gaming laptop they wouldnt buy apple, if they wanted something for productivity they wouldnt buy razer...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is a shame, to be fair any company who didnt do this wouldnt be able to compete. Steve Jobs used to have everything done in the states, but apple could no longer remain competitive.
Are you actually advocating for child labor? What the fuck? Several companies compete well without child labor. Apple is worth a trillion dollars, they can manage to manufacture their highly marked up prices without resorting to child labor. The only company who would both raise their prices to beyond what they're worth, and nickle and dime you for everything, and STILL use child labor is a company with no morals. This isn't a matter of competition. This is a matter of morality, which Apple has none of.

Also, I didn't ask you to compare it to a gaming laptop. I asked you to compare it to the specs. That's all. Period. Gaming is not part of the equation. I never once mentioned gaming in any of my posts. I went with a laptop that most matched the specs of the Macbooks you suggested were unique, proved they weren't, and that it was for a similar (or in most cases, lower) price. For just 100$ more, I showed you a device with much better hardware than the Macbook Pro 2018. MUCH better hardware.

So no. I didn't ask for a gaming macbook. I asked for a macbook with your stated "unique, amazing specs"

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you actually advocating for child labor? What the fuck? Several companies compete well without child labor. Apple is worth a trillion dollars, they can manage to manufacture their highly marked up prices without resorting to child labor. The only company who would both raise their prices to beyond what they're worth, and nickle and dime you for everything, and STILL use child labor is a company with no morals. This isn't a matter of competition. This is a matter of morality, which Apple has none of.
Why are you putting words in my mouth? I'm simply telling you the reality of the situation, while you are busy trying to convince me apple is the devil. People have no problem buying sweat shop made products from anyone else, its impossible to compete otherwise.

Also, I didn't ask you to compare it to a gaming laptop. I asked you to compare it to the specs. That's all. Period. Gaming is not part of the equation. I never once mentioned gaming in any of my posts. I went with a laptop that most matched the specs of the Macbooks you suggested were unique, proved they weren't, and that it was for a similar (or in most cases, lower) price. For just 100$ more, I showed you a device with much better hardware than the Macbook Pro 2018. MUCH better hardware.

So no. I didn't ask for a gaming macbook. I asked for a macbook with your stated "unique, amazing specs"

You posted a gaming laptop that isnt the same kind of machine at all, but you dont understand specs or what each part does so... im off to get some beer. You have proven nothing and you cant even understand what we are disusing, other than you have been brainwashed by clever marketing.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wildly confused as to why you're posting this comparison, because you're showing me the 13 inch model of the XPS rather than the 15 inch variants that I posted, as well as the fact that the review is showing off a Macbook that while specced similarly, has a CPU with an almost 1GHz higher base clock and 500MHz higher boost clock than the XPSs it's comparing to. That may play to Geekbench's favor, but in a real world load I'd like to see the Macbook keep up as it continues to get hotter due to lack of active cooling

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's in a catch 22. If he doesn't know, then he's just grasping at straws. If he does, then he should know exactly what I am talking about when I mention the hardware failures with the Mac, and he'll know exactly why they happen.

Great job, Kevin.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
giphy.gif

Do you?? And I'd like you to think really hard before you ask me if I do, because I work at an IT desk at my college fixing these things
Two accounts have we? Congrats at fixing stuff at your college.

He's in a catch 22. If he doesn't know, then he's just grasping at straws. If he does, then he should know exactly what I am talking about when I mention the hardware failures with the Mac, and he'll know exactly why they happen.

Great job, Kevin.
I chose not to respond to you randomly posting youtube videos of problems some people had, simply because you can do that to any company.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two accounts have we? Congrats at fixing stuff at your college.
You didn't answer my question.
upload_2018-8-6_13-50-0.png

Without looking at the board online, what are these chips and capacitors and what are they for?

Also, some problems? No. These are literally build issues. These are examples of Apple outright lying.

If they are problems only "some" people had, why is it that Apple had to give recalls?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't know how I missed this https://youtu.be/OgLD1yhxNik?si=I94vWUB9-LcKc5jR