1. jahrs

jahrs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This has inspired me to dream of the day when i too shall sit atop my glorious throne of money gained from selling shit to less then intellectual people and claiming it to be the future.

I get it the computers are pretty good at least the older ones are. the newer ones have the issue stated above when they started to cut out things to make it more "advanced" much like there phones. But im sure nearly any company could get a trillion dollars should they stoop to brain washing and overcharging their victims and signing them up for a lifetime of expensive repairs and a constant need for replacement chargers and accessories.

Not gonna lie though i cant blame apple for being the company it is. afterall its just playing the game in the best way it knows how and while i dont like it i respect the fact that they try so hard to keep up the charade.

Last edited by jahrs, Aug 3, 2018
  2. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

United States
    That deal was very favorable to Microsoft, which was going through anti-trust/anti-competitive allegations and a lawsuit from the US. As part of the agreement, some things that happened are: Microsoft invested in Apple and received some number of non-voting stock, Apple sets the default browser to Internet Explorer, Microsoft ports Office to mac, and they could use each other's patents made within a certain amount of time. There's a bunch of details that I left out but you get the general idea.

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Kinda wished they didn't bail them out TBH.

Jayro likes this.
  4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    And you're entitled to your wrong opinion. ;)

5. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

United States
    This is a story about inflation.

6. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It would probably be worse for Microsoft if they didn't do this. Microsoft was already in trouble for indirectly stealing source code from QuickTime for Windows for use in "Video for Windows". Plus some patent stuff about the user interface.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/..._lived_long_enough_to_see_themselves/csd2rrl/ interesting comment on what Bill Gates did back in his days at MS

CallmeBerto likes this.
  7. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Don't you think that's a little excessive? Where have you seen an ultrabook that has the same specs of a maxed-out latest Macbook? And you also seem to forget that budget Android phones are garbage.

8. TheMCNerd2017

TheMCNerd2017 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The main reasons Apple's stock value is so high right now is because they overprice their items, charge huge fees for trivial repairs, and design many of their products to become obsolete and have performance issues after a few years of use.

9. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Not a perfect comparison (and I'm not sure where I can find the maxed out specs on a Macbook but): $2799 Macbook Pro vs $1440 Dell Laptop. Feel free to find some better examples because the Dell weights 85% more. Practically, though, from little I've seen ultrabooks have pretty horrible performance (near base clock) on average.

Agreed. Upper mid-range and higher phones are pretty decently comparable though.

10. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    But with competition, that's where true innovation comes...

11. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Yep, those aren't really comparable. As for higher android phones, which ones do you mean? Because all high range phones cost the same except for maybe the Oneplus phones.

12. Captain_Smek

Captain_Smek GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Sad this is basically the peak of humanity. Pooling a trillion dollars into overpriced cell phones used as status symbols.

Bladexdsl and TheMCNerd2017 like this.
  13. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

France
    Just proves how ignorant and naive most people are

Bladexdsl and TheMCNerd2017 like this.
  14. natanelho

natanelho GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Antarctica
    no rockbox->not an intelectual

15. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

United States
    See, I can brag about my superior phone to iPhone users and not be considered an entitled brat because my phone is better but also costs a quarter of the price.

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    They effectively had to in order to save themselves from being partitioned or sanctioned by the federal government on the grounds of being a monopoly. On the subject of Apple doing great, their recent designs are less than inspiring, without Jobs at the helm it's not the same company anymore. I like what they did with the iPhone X in many ways, but I feel that they will slump into their old habits soon enough and, in short order, become stale like they did in the past.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  17. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    It actually IS Rockbox, just with an iPod theme.

18. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Which I was curious if you actually had a good comparison laptop. The issue is that Apple creating a unique laptop doesn't make it better but might make it hard to directly compare. It's one reason why most tear downs go by component price to show Apple has a specific premium. If you have a much better one-to-one comparison laptop, especially one with a similar price, I'd be interested to see it.

Again, not a perfect comparison because again it's always going to be somewhat apples to oranges. The overall point is you see incredibly similar quality specs and a 53% premium. Is that the difference between the apples and the oranges? I don't think so. Are those differences worth any premium? Obviously it depends, but for most people the answer has more to do with purchased Apps lock-in than the relatively minor difference in price.

19. DinohScene

DinohScene Tryhard

Antarctica
    Congratz Apple!

I do like your PPC line up but that's about it.

GensokyoIceFairy likes this.
  20. GhostLatte

GhostLatte GBAtemp's Official Van Master™

Antarctica
    They're becoming like Evil Corp from Mr Robot.

Bladexdsl likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - publicly, trillion, becomes