After installing the newest version of USB Loader GX, my old games no longer boot. They USED to be bootable.

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, everyone! I'm back again with a new issue, unfortunately.

I solved my issue of installing and running GameCube games through Nintendont by updating my Wii to 4.3U, but now with my new version of USB Loader GX, my previously working game files no longer boot, and upon loading them up, I get kicked back to the Wii home menu.

My games are all recognized, and they show their splash screens and everything. They just won't boot properly. I am using a 10-year-old hard drive that was bought with the Wii when it was modded in 2009, and I have no idea what brand it is.

Any help is appreciated!

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, everyone! I'm back again with a new issue, unfortunately.

I solved my issue of installing and running GameCube games through Nintendont by updating my Wii to 4.3U, but now with my new version of USB Loader GX, my previously working game files no longer boot, and upon loading them up, I get kicked back to the Wii home menu.

My games are all recognized, and they show their splash screens and everything. They just won't boot properly. I am using a 10-year-old hard drive that was bought with the Wii when it was modded in 2009, and I have no idea what brand it is.

Any help is appreciated!
Can't you like... not use that version of USB Loader GX?

Maybe go back to the previous version that was working before?

Have you thought about using CFG USB Loader instead?

If CFG doesn't work... then it might be possible that your MBR got corrupted.

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe go back to the previous version that was working before?
I tried to first open the old version upon finishing the Wii update, but now after I boot it, I get a black error screen with error codes/messages on it. I can attach a photo in a bit.

Attachments

• 20240122_235243.jpg
    20240122_235243.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I tried to first open the old version upon finishing the Wii update, but now after I boot it, I get a black error screen with error codes/messages on it. I can attach a photo in a bit.
As far as I know, DSI errors occurs when the Wii is trying or in the middle of reading a memory's contents, but the memory crashes or doesn't has what the Wii is trying to read.

I'm assuming that it's your harddrive.

Do you have an SD card? You could just leave your games in your Hard Drive, plug that in your Wii and load APPS (USB Loader/Nintendont) through SD. Try that.

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have an SD card? You could just leave your games in your Hard Drive, plug that in your Wii and load APPS (USB Loader/Nintendont) through SD. Try that.
I tried running USB Loader through the Homebrew Channel, but instead of kicking me back to the home menu, it sent me back to the Homebrew menu. Nintendont opens and runs properly, and my GameCube games work.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I tried running USB Loader through the Homebrew Channel, but instead of kicking me back to the home menu, it sent me back to the Homebrew menu. Nintendont opens and runs properly, and my GameCube games work.
Then it's definitely something going on with your USB Loader GX settings.

Open the drive or device you're loading USB Loader GX from, and delete any "settings" or "config" file related to USB Loader GX.

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Open the drive or device you're loading USB Loader GX from, and delete any "settings" or "config" file related to USB Loader GX.
On the new USB GX folder I have, there are no files like that. On my other hard drive, however, I think the drove is formatted in a way that Windows can't read it. I forgot the exact name, but it starts with a W.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
On the new USB GX folder I have, there are no files like that. On my other hard drive, however, I think the drove is formatted in a way that Windows can't read it. I forgot the exact name, but it starts with a W.
WBFS?

Oh noes...

You shouldn't use WBFS formatted drives anymore!
Stop following YouTube Tutorials!

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WBFS?

Oh noes...

You shouldn't use WBFS formatted drives anymore!
Stop following YouTube Tutorials!
Oh, I haven't! The drive is from 2009 when my dad got the Wii modded for us as a Christmas gift.

My main concern is if I were to reformat the drive, would I lose years of saved data, or is my saved data directly stored on the Wii?

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh, I haven't! The drive is from 2009 when my dad got the Wii modded for us as a Christmas gift.

My main concern is if I were to reformat the drive, would I lose years of saved data, or is my saved data directly stored on the Wii?
I forgot you mentioned that, sorry.

The thing is that Windows can't reformat WBFS drives back to something normal like NTFS, or FAT32. So, attempting to reformat from WBFS to FAT32 (for instance) usually kills the Hard Drive, unless you utilize specialized software to do the job correctly.
Your Wii savefiles are stored in the internal Wii's memory. As for Nintendont, those are saved in your drive or SD, depens what you're using to load GCN games from.

Do not attempt to reformat your drive until someone reads this and tells you exactly which software you need to reformat from WBFS back to something normal.
If your drive is working fine, leave it as it is.

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not attempt to reformat your drive until someone reads this and tells you exactly which software you need to reformat from WBFS back to something normal.
If your drive is working fine, leave it as it is.
Of course! I'll leave it as is so I won't risk anything. Do you have any more suggestions as to what I can do in the meantime? I'm stumped :(

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Of course! I'll leave it as is so I won't risk anything. Do you have any more suggestions as to what I can do in the meantime? I'm stumped :(
USB Loader GX tends to fail with drives/menories that gas wtong or corrupted boot sectors. That's a possibility.

There's also the possibility that it's trying to load a config or settings file that got bad or it's incompatible due to changing versions (not very likely and I haven't had this issue before) so I'm not sure. USB Loader GX saves these kind of files in a folder called [usbloader] so you could see if you have that folder somewhere in whatever device you're using to load USB Loader GX.

Another possibility that's occurring to me just now, is that, you're probably using USB Loader GX as a Forwarder (a Channel in the Wii Menu) and probably your Forwarder is incompatible with your current version of USB Loader GX, which is why I suggested launching it from another device such as an SD and from Homebrew Channel.

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another possibility that's occurring to me just now, is that, you're probably using USB Loader GX as a Forwarder (a Channel in the Wii Menu) and probably your Forwarder is incompatible with your current version of USB Loader GX, which is why I suggested launching it from another device such as an SD and from Homebrew Channel.
For the new version of USB Loader GX, I opened the forwarder on the home menu, which booted me right back when trying to open a game, and when using the Loader on Homebrew channel, same thing happens.

As for the old version, it doesn't appear on my Homebrew channel list. That one confuses me, as even when I remove my SD card and HHD, the channel is still there, and it USED to work before the update.

I give up for now, as I have college classes in the morning. I'll try reinstalling the current USB Loader GX as well as that other Loader you recommend tomorrow.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

I disagree. Most likely it's stubbed cios from the update

OP should post a syscheck, then drag and drop his syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell him what to do

https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree. Most likely it's stubbed cios from the update

OP should post a syscheck, then drag and drop his syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell him what to do

https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/
I'm able to obtain a syscheck, but I was the same OP/person who had the issue installing ModMii due to an error with .NET Framework 3.5 failing to install multiple times.

If possible, once I get home, would I be able to send you, or someone with ModMii, my syscheck file to diagnose an issue?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I'm able to obtain a syscheck, but I was the same OP/person who had the issue installing ModMii due to an error with .NET Framework 3.5 failing to install multiple times.

If possible, once I get home, would I be able to send you, or someone with ModMii, my syscheck file to diagnose an issue?
As "smart" as modmii is, we can still eyeball your syscheck if you post it here and do a decent job. I feel like John Henry versus the machine, lol

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: SaulFabre

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As "smart" as modmii is, we can still eyeball your syscheck if you post it here and do a decent job. I feel like John Henry versus the machine, lol
Sorry for getting back to you so late, I got busy with work and college. Here's my syscheck, and I used the ModMii version if that matters:

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 12.18.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS61

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 135334644
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 100 titles.
Found 47 IOS on this console. 17 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS250 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65280): Stub
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 01/24/2024.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
So I was right, your cIOSs are mostly stubbed (except 250, but probably outdated as it is not tagged with info). So to update without ModMii just follow the steps here: https://wii.hacks.guide/cios

Once you update your cIOS the issues your referring to should disappear. However there are some other issues with your syscheck we should fix up as well.

Your HBC is also running on IOS61 instead of 58, and you don't have bootmii IOS installed. To fix this just run the hackmii installer again and reinstall both, more info here: https://wii.hacks.guide/hbc

If your able to install bootmii as IOS and as boot2, install both, otherwise just as IOS is OK.

If you don't have a bootmii nand backup, you should also make one following these steps: https://wii.hacks.guide/bootmii

Bonkdonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was right, your cIOSs are mostly stubbed (except 250, but probably outdated as it is not tagged with info). So to update without ModMii just follow the steps here: https://wii.hacks.guide/cios
Using the cIOS guide, I was instructed to download NUS Downloader, but I can't open that either due to the lack of .NET Framework 3.5. Is there a way to run these programs from my android phone? I'm out of other options in terms of running and installing these applications.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto