[Rumor] WiikeÜ ?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I wonder if this thing will support a USB Blueray drive. It sound stupid but I know that at least in THIS country as soon as this is up for order, every video game shop will put a sign out saying "NEW Wii U chip installation to read copies." and along with installing the WiiUkey they'll probably try to sell you games they've ripped and burned to a disk themselves for a couple bucks each.

(These same shops usually previously offered to install the obsolete uLoader on a Wii ... for a fee ... packed into a channel once the internal drive could no longer accept DVD-R disks just because it was the only one that could support a USB DVD reader and they could still SELL you the physical copies as well.)

Sad, I know, but it's the country I live in.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Answer this. How does a console which sold nearly 100 million, have a hard time localizing great titles like xenoblade, the last blade and pandora's tower?
The US and EU have gotten only a portion of jRPGs and other such games almost as long as gaming has had readable text in it (that is, anything except "(JUE)" things) regardless of the system. This isn't a recent development.

Like, the SNES never got Seiken Denstsu 3 (sequel to Secret Of Mana) or Tales of Phantasia. While there were copiers, they were nowhere near as widepsread as modern softmods and flash carts. There's plenty of other older systems that had hundreds of games that never got officially translated, and whether piracy was widespread on them or not doesn't seem to be involved.

Devs and localizers, when talking about why they don't localize games, almost always name the sales they expect in the US/EU to be the decision on whether they release or not... and I haven't seen piracy mentioned. They make their estimates based on how previous games in the series did (if existing), how related games (same genre) did, how people reacted to the release in other series, how people reacted to their inclusion in other games (Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros for one example), etc.

Like, the original Breath Of Fire was made by Capcom, who didn't expect it to sell well in the US. Square, however, offered to localize it because they thought it would. It sold well enough, so then Capcom was all "Hey, okay, I can do this myself next time." So then Breath Of Fire 2 came out with a Capcom-quality translation. So much that it got a fan retranslation.

</ranty>

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok soo Wiikey have found a way to get the Wii U to run unassigned code but don't have anyway of doing anything else besides that. Correct me if I am wrong but how does that mean its hacked? Sure it might lead to something latter down the road but its nothing to get excited over.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Ok soo Wiikey have found a way to get the Wii U to run unassigned code but don't have anyway of doing anything else besides that. Correct me if I am wrong but how does that mean its hacked? Sure it might lead to something latter down the road but its nothing to get excited over.
I don't think it can necessarily run unsigned code yet. It would be able to run unofficial copies of SIGNED legit software but I don't think it's quite like the DS where you can run homebrew through your "hardmod" (flashcart). If that's the case, though, then yes, it's hacked.

. . .

You know, I just realized what Nintendo's response could be that would TOTALLY block this. They could just become a download only console like OUYA and force an update on everyone that makes it ignore the disk drive completely. It would really piss everyone off .. but it would make WiiUkey useless.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Nintendo presumably only want you to run code that is
From discs
From their shop
Via the limited APIs of the web browser.

Given this is none of those it counts as going against Nintendo's restrictions and thus falls under one of the more commonly accepted definitions of hack and the one we tend to use around here, certainly unsigned code at the lowest level (or effectively so) is very desirable here and still the ultimate goal of most of those hacking the device. Still the option to save their Wii U disc drive pirate games is something many around here seek to do and thus we have a 400 odd post thread that is less than 38 hours old as I post this on the matter.

Reactions: Rydian

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really thing that the Wii and NDS sold that well because of the piracy? Do you really think the man on the street knows anything about how to pirate the Wii or NDS?

The Wii lost ALL third party support early in its life because of that .

Gee, and I thought the kiddie image and inferior hardware deterred developers.

I'd like to personally thank the dicks responsible for ruining the Wii U.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lol a modchip/softmod would be the only thing that would make me buy a Wii u ^^V
For me the Wii was already a pile of junk and for me there was hardly any games worth playing released here in Europe -.-
I did not even like smash Brothers (with GameCube controller it was okay but still ...)

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, I want to personally thank every dickheaded douchebag responsible for ruining Nintendo's chance to catch up. Nice going, wankers.
Maybe I'm just fooling myself because I don't want to believe I wasted $350 for a console that will only have a few good games, but I think there is still a small chance to catch up, especially if Nintendo is able to block the modchip or ban people who use it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'm just fooling myself because I don't want to believe I wasted $350 for a console that will only have a few good games, but I think there is still a small chance to catch up, especially if Nintendo is able to block the modchip or ban people who use it.

I hope they do. I don't pirate new games/games that are currently being sold and generating money. Nintendo is aware of the exploit or rather, the mod chip. Emulators I have no qualms with because they don't hurt sales, but illegal backups of games that are actively being sold. Yeah. Nice going on their part.

To the team who did this, thanks a lot pussies. Thank you so very much.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Joostin, I don't think you should be worried because this isn't going to kill third-party support anyways. It never has.

The Wii U has issues inherent to itself that aren't related to hacking. A lot of systems go through this. Remember the PS3? For multiple years nobody wanted one, and it's the console that started the whole "no games" thing. But given time, it started getting some of the biggest hits out there.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ditto Rydian. Plus, let's not forget everybody proclaimed the 3DS dead with no games its first year, and that the vita would destroy it. Both of those predictions were dead wrong.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that the lack of games will ruin it. I just think that it's had a rocky start and only a moron would believe that piracy will improve game (not console) sales/support.

Normally piracy isn't an option for quite a bit longer, when consoles have had time to pick up momentum. As I said before, this is not going to have a positive effect on developers deciding whether or not to support the Wii U.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And yet there's not a single instance of a console failing because of piracy. (Before anyone says dreamcast, it had a lot of other issues, most notably Sega burning its fanbase one too many times...). Does piracy affect sales? Yes. Does it affect sales to that great an extent? Probably not. Otherwise, games wouldn't sell 30 million copies. Blaming piracy is a cop out and a scapegoat.

Third parties ignore the Wii U because it has low sales, a causal image, and they are too lazy to use the screen. I gurantee you if the Wii U was selling like hotcakes now third parties would be all over it. Thats the way it is.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
Why would you think this will improve the chances for games? Do you think developers will think, "Well now that people can pirate Wii U games, we better pour some money into making games instead of a console that doesn't have piracy."? The PS4/Nextbox will be coming out soon, and unless they are hacked right away, this is only (another) reason for third party devs to avoid the Wii U in favor of other consoles.
It does not work that way - if the wiiu starts selling like crazy because of a hack more game companies will get on board because their potential for selling games increases.
ds was one of the most popular hand helds and it had rampant piracy - 3ds sucks if you compare it to the ds and has 0 piracy

Kevin242

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it will trouble developers in the slightest. The Wii U won't get a lot (by Nintendo standards) of 3rd party support until the big Nintendo franchises roll out (Mario kart, smash bros, zelda, pokemon etc...). Once desirable games are released then people that aren't fan boys will have good reasons to buy the WiiU and then some 3rd parties will see a large enough installed base to make it worthwhile to release games for the WiiU. Piracy plays no role at this point. There is hardly anything to pirate lol

Reactions: Ericthegreat

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If developers were going to bail on a hacked console I've never seen it happen for example Xbox,android, iOS, pc, mac, Nintendo ds, ps3, and so on and so forth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: my eyes already feel tired