[Rumor] WiikeÜ ?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was already posted, it appears to be the header/ID info from a Wii U mario game disc thing whatevermcbobbington.
Yeah, so what did they get? Any way to use this to run code (fakes authorization altogether or CAPABLE of doing so?)? What if it could trick Wii U into thinking it were a Mario game THEN it is some linux that runs or something else to get goodies;-) GUESSING but we don't know how this works, and what they found at all. I mean, in detail.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, so what did they get? Any way to use this to run code (fakes authorization altogether or CAPABLE of doing so?)? What if it could trick Wii U into thinking it were a Mario game THEN it is some linux that runs or something else to get goodies;-) GUESSING but we don't know how this works, and what they found at all. I mean, in detail.
It's just a drive emulator chip from what we know. All it does it load up fake physical discs, the info fed to the Wii U still needs to be signed and proper and everything.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just a drive emulator chip from what we know. All it does it load up fake physical discs, the info fed to the Wii U still needs to be signed and proper and everything.
LOL, what if they have the signature and can spoof that though? Unless you have inside contacts, and you might, how can we be sure?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
LOL, what if they have the signature and can spoof that though? Unless you have inside contacts, and you might, how can we be sure?
If they had the private signatures, a drive emulator would not be needed because they could softmod the Wii U's OS to remove all these checks.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Re-read, the header from a decrypted Wii U disc, so the entire disc decrypted. I would imagine the signature could be had that way. Many like multi-level defenses (layered) but usually the issue is getting past one layer. If disc firmware can be had then it is information, if you know signature from this or have this and some "man in the middle" tools and know-how, more information there. Then you can play with it and test it. I doubt they would say how much they have BUT it makes me wonder.... Imagine if this can spoof signature and region?!!! I also want to know from somebody who KNOWS about the eMMC reading and disc firmware. Anyone here tried to read those?

Reactions: Ericthegreat

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I mentioned in earlier post, for ODE to happen one of these conditions must be true

* Nintendo still didn't do unique drive encryption like PS3 and Xbox 360 (this is why WODE works)
* Wii U unique drive key was dumped or broken (like 3k3y that needs key to be stored in microSD)
* Injects data right before or right after the drive encryption/decryption (I suspect this is how Cobra ODE works, since it mentioned soldering in later model and no mentioning of drive key).

In either cases, the data that is being fed to the Wii U must still be properly signed. Unscramble the data is not the problem, validation is. Wii U uses asymmetric encryption like RSA to sign the data. Problem with asymmetric encryption is that encryption and decryption each has its own key. That is encryption key cannot be used for decryption, vice versa. Wii U only stores decryption key, and only Nintendo knows the corresponding encryption key.

Unless there is a bug that significantly weakens the encryption, like Trucha bug in Wii, chance of finding that encryption key is next to 0.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they had the private signatures, a drive emulator would not be needed because they could softmod the Wii U's OS to remove all these checks.
Okay, I trust you. What has to be done to let games run on Wii U from USB drive? Anyone worked this part out? If you can already install from disc drive to hard drive then what is the point other than region spoofing? Even then, if you cannot change the disc without the signature, then what good is this at all? If it does not go to USB drive (sit between USB drive and board, how can the chip work anyway? Must go TO chip then to system, so likely USB interface in, and output through cable. I cannot imagine how else this could work? Going to drill a hole in the Wii U? Where will this USB interface be? Maybe a chip and clip on somewhere?

Interesting to see this play out, mind going all over, lol. I love a puzzle.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Re-read, the header from a decrypted Wii U disc, so the entire disc decrypted. I would imagine the signature could be had that way. Many like multi-level defenses (layered) but usually the issue is getting past one layer. If disc firmware can be had then it is information, if you know signature from this or have this and some "man in the middle" tools and know-how, more information there. Then you can play with it and test it. I doubt they would say how much they have BUT it makes me wonder.... Imagine if this can spoof signature and region?!!! I also want to know from somebody who KNOWS about the eMMC reading and disc firmware. Anyone here tried to read those?
wiikey team are about money, not about giving people free hacks for homebrew ect, so even if they did have the keys, I doubt they would be released.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I trust you. What has to be done to let games run on Wii U from USB drive? Anyone worked this part out? If you can already install from disc drive to hard drive then what is the point other than region spoofing? Even then, if you cannot change the disc without the signature, then what good is this at all? If it does not go to USB drive (sit between USB drive and board, how can the chip work anyway? Must go TO chip then to system, so likely USB interface in, and output through cable. I cannot imagine how else this could work? Going to drill a hole in the Wii U? Where will this USB interface be? Maybe a chip and clip on somewhere?

Generally drive chips are man-in-the-middle and connect between the drive and the motherboard, and the chip just changes some info as it passes so the motherboard thinks all is well and that the drive is handing it data from an original disc.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mentioned in earlier post, for ODE to happen one of these conditions must be true

* Nintendo still didn't do unique drive encryption like PS3 and Xbox 360 (this is why WODE works)
* Wii U unique drive key was dumped or broken (like 3k3y that needs key to be stored in microSD)
* Injects data right before or right after the drive encryption/decryption (I suspect this is how Cobra ODE works, since it mentioned soldering in later model and no mentioning of drive key).

In either cases, the data that is being fed to the Wii U must still be properly signed. Unscramble the data is not the problem, validation is. Wii U uses asymmetric encryption like RSA to sign the data. Problem with asymmetric encryption is that encryption and decryption each has its own key. That is encryption key cannot be used for decryption, vice versa. Wii U only stores decryption key, and only Nintendo knows the corresponding encryption key.

Unless there is a bug that significantly weakens the encryption, like Trucha bug in Wii, chance of finding that encryption key is next to 0.
Interesting. "Cobra", duh, "Injects poison and strikes quickly", lmfao. Could not resist. This is said to be solderless so that narrows it won to ON a chip (or chips). Still trying to picture the interface and running ripped games from USB drive.

Generally drive chips are man-in-the-middle and connect between the drive and the motherboard, and the chip just changes some info as it passes so the motherboard thinks all is well and that the drive is handing it data from an original disc.
Yes, BUT if this rips the games to USB drive, how can it run thos from USB when you can already do that? Man in the middle using a usb drive? Maybe with two clips. How can it spoof something or control something using the ribbon, yet, games play off of USB hard drive? I agree, all for money, however, if 360 scene taught me anything, it is that once somebody does it, others figure it out. "2+X=8" and then people solve for X, lol. technical know-how needed but still, some with known how may have firmware and be able to replicate this but SHARE it. I still believe a modded firmware (if Wii U does not check for that and reset it that is) could make this useless.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Doesn't the wode or something have a wire you let hang out of the wii?

Yes, BUT if this rips the games to USB drive, how can it run thos from USB when you can already do that? Man in the middle using a usb drive? Maybe with two clips. How can it spoof something or control something using the ribbon, yet, games play off of USB hard drive? I agree, all for money, however, if 360 scene taught me anything, it is that once somebody does it, others figure it out. "2+X=8" and then people solve for X, lol. technical know-how needed but still, some with known how may have firmware and be able to replicate this but SHARE it. I still believe a modded firmware (if Wii U does not check for that and reset it that is) could make this useless.

In the coming months there will prob be a few copies of this device (but as far as firmware updates wiikey was updated quite a bit I think), and soon after the wii hard mod I think the softmod was released.(but of course no guarantees about that, just people prob won't worry about causing piracy after it is already available, not as much at least.)

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't the wode or something have a wire you let hang out of the wii?
Funny if it is two clips; USB controller some how and bridges to chip attached to ribbon cable, lmfao, there you go. DOUBTFUL but people get so clever. You use USB, plug into USB port, but it feeds and spoofs through the chip on ribbon cable. Imaginative and/or stupid?

Thanks for humoring me, lots of stuff to be excited about and see. Off to bed though, will check in tomorrow, errrr, later today.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny if it is two clips; USB controller some how and bridges to chip attached to ribbon cable, lmfao, there you go. DOUBTFUL but people get so clever. You use USB, plug into USB port, but it feeds and spoofs through the chip on ribbon cable. Imaginative and/or stupid?
got a feeling that that would cause more issues for the end user and that a wire will prob go through a hole somewhere that connects to their "Stylish USB remote with powered USB hub and charger function"

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Spoof is not a correct word when it comes to ODE. ODE reroute read command from drive to USB. ODE does not alter the data. It may do encryption if system was expecting encrypted datas (like the PS3), but that's it.

caribou007

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you GBATemp headline writers trying to give your loving visitors a heart attack? Earlier this week I read:
The end of the road. :cry: GBATemp ...Tetris Tournament results! :yaysp:
And, just now I thought I read:
somethingsomething. GBATEMP HACKED.:p1ng: Then I read it again and realized it's talking about the WiiU being hacked by the Wiikey team.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you GBATemp headline writers trying to give your loving visitors a heart attack? Earlier this week I read:
The end of the road. :cry: GBATemp ...Tetris Tournament results! :yaysp:
And, just now I thought I read:
somethingsomething. GBATEMP HACKED.:p1ng: Then I read it again and realized it's talking about the WiiU being hacked by the Wiikey team.

This is GBATemp. To assume that we'd do anything less than scaring the daylights outta people with misleading thread titles proves you haven't been here long enough:lol:

Reactions: Rydian and kehkou

rizzod

Not a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Hence GPGPU, utilizes the GPU to do some of the CPU instructions, lessening the strain.

Says the guy who bothered to post it.

ok buddy. You guys are the ones going in circles, complaining about a circumvention which could have been prevented, but instead of intelligent conversation like the good that could actually come out of this, you're all raging. It's happening, get over it, move on.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
ok buddy. You guys are the ones going in circles, complaining about a circumvention which could have been prevented, but instead of intelligent conversation like the good that could actually come out of this, you're all raging. It's happening, get over it, move on.

Damn, thought you were leaving. I guess it was too good to be true. :sad:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol